Author Topic: GOTTLIEB\ PREMIER ROCK PINBALL  (Read 1183 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
GOTTLIEB\ PREMIER ROCK PINBALL
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:06:56 PM »
Well its not exactly a restore but didnt know where else to put it.  This machine is being repaired for a friend of a friend and its one that i wish id never said yes to.   Machine arrived cabinet looked good once i lifted the backbox i was greeted by a  badly touched up playfield and a badly faded translite.   Started by testing the fuses to find that the line fuse was missing the cap so i replaced that tested all the fuses, coils and diodes then switched it on.      Nothing but GI lights.     So i started with clays repair guide with no luck replaced most chips on the board but still nothing the CPU had been hacked to death before i received it so ive written it off and waiting on the NOS cpu from PBR.   While waiting ive repaired the split cabinet and started cleaning of the silver spraypaint from the Lock bar and Side rails (Some people really piss me off).  Also the bottom of the cab had been pushed out id asy it had been dropped the way the whole thin was apart
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:14:23 PM by ddstoys »

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: GOTTLIEB\ PREMIER ROCK PINBALL
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 06:17:51 PM »
Here are pics of the spraypainted rails and lockbar comes off easily with some paint thinner but makes a bloody mess.   The photo of the left side has the silver paint the right is without it well without most of it

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 06:42:36 PM »
 While waiting ive repaired the split cabinet

Gday Daniel .. I've also got a split in one side of one of my cabs and have ideas on how to repair it, but would really appreciate if you could share your method . I assume its pretty straightforward but looking at all your projects you've done a heap more carpentry than me 
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 06:52:09 PM »
It pretty high tech so ill try explain as simple as possible (JOKE).     I squeezed some liquid nail into the crack and onto the base.  Lifted the bottom panel into place then used a nail gun to hold that then with my knee i lifted the side panel which had fallen to the right position then nail gunned that. I cleaned of the excess liquid nails with paint thinners on a rag once it had all dried i touched up the nail holes and the strip of glue with enamel model paint and a small brush.  Simple but it worked.

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 07:11:05 PM »
It pretty high tech so ill try explain as simple as possible (JOKE).     I squeezed some liquid nail into the crack and onto the base.  Lifted the bottom panel into place then used a nail gun to hold that then with my knee i lifted the side panel which had fallen to the right position then nail gunned that. I cleaned of the excess liquid nails with paint thinners on a rag once it had all dried i touched up the nail holes and the strip of glue with enamel model paint and a small brush.  Simple but it worked.

Cool mate  ^^^ and thanks for the fast and funny reply .  %.%
 My 2 problems are a) I'm low tech .. don't own a nail gun and b) mine is a different problem .
I have a split in the side (approx two thirds of the length of the side and roughly in the middle) . I am thinking of glueing (and temporarily clamping) a piece of ply on the inside and maybe nail it to the side of the cab as well with some short nails (so they don't protrude through the outside of the cab)

Hope you get the Electronics side sorted soon without too much more hassle  *%*

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 11:12:57 PM »
Hey Dave
               Post a picture of your Split and ill try give you some advice?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 11:21:47 PM »
Well i stripped the playfield today so here are a few update photos.  Sadly the playfield is pretty rough mylar is really average but the paint everywhere else is lifting so im not going to risk removing the mylar

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 11:33:07 PM »
Here is the playfield after is been hit with novus2 hardly made any difference. I didnt want to rub any harder as paint was lifting a fair bit.  And the touch ups were not sealed and all the black just wiped off.    ^.^     And before anyone says it no i didnt do the touch ups but its not to bad if they were using a straw to blow the paint on??

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 11:34:54 PM »
Waxing helped it a little at least now it has a slight shine to it.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:37:28 PM »
New rubbers and globes

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:40:16 PM »
Even though the playfield is rough i couldnt bring myself to not polish all the screws rails and posts but im glad i did

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:43:54 PM »
I just had to add this photo incase tony and mark were getting worried Yes the JW was flowing its an important part in all my restores.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »
All back together.  Not a stunner but another game saved.  But there were many time where this thing nearly got the treatment  **& **&

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:39 PM »
Forgot the damn photos again lol

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2009, 08:25:55 PM »
Daniel,

That stuff works wonders on restores.  Must get some myself.  How much of it do you need to use per machine to get these great results?? Now I know your seceret..

The JW im reffering too..

Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock