Author Topic: *Tube Time* - Custom Surfing Pinball  (Read 47634 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
*Tube Time* - Custom Surfing Pinball
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
Well I have been wanting to do a custom pin for a very long time and procrastinated for a very long time but ever so slowly building up the design skills, reproducing parts in a 3d model space including the cabinet etc, making mods, reproduction parts etc (selfish plug to where you can find those)
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinks&sort=newest

I have been inspired by the other builds but pinballrockstar from the Minion pinball and a few others have been real encouraging and even though this theme might not be for everyone I am sure people might be able to offer some thoughts & help along the way and learn from my approach.
a good thread is the Minions Pinball
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/we-are-building-a-minions-pinball-updates-every-friday

Also no one has done a modern style Surfing Pinball with ramps so reckon it is overdue.
Some of you know that I have 2 dream theme pins - Surfing Pinball and Dukes of Hazzard Pinball (DoH). I jumped into the DoH a little too early (deep end) as have lots of ideas but the issue being the programming as have zero experience and would prolong the project alot and has already - so that one is being handbraked until I get this built which is way more achievable as it is going to be a simplier pin allowing me to build up some skills. Some of the game features in this one will be great experience for the DoH Pin.
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=14442.0

Now for this game:
 - it will be a simplier pin and a cross breed between a re-theme and custom pin - meaning I will be using the rules from an existing game and the playfield design will be custom.
 - rules will be from Bally's Skateball as I will be using a full set of Alltek boards and led displays and that means the programming is done as the game will be about going surfing and enjoying the experience and enjoying the surf session. I will be upgrading some mechs like the flipper mech to a 90's bally style to improve on some mechanical efficiencies but sure the slight drop in power may cause a challenge - see when I get there. I will also use a stern style sling mechs.

^^^ Big thanks to ddstoys ages ago for helping me out with parts (flipper, sling mechs etc) that will soon go to the chromers.  ^^^

^^^ Big Thank to strangeways for sending me some gear for the other game - it will still happen I just need to build up my skills, but really appreciate your help ^^^

My goal will be a something little in artwork somewhere as a thanks to those that helped me as a tribute and thanks for their help.

- but for sounds I will be using 2 x WAV triggers for backing songs and sounds for that more modern feel.
 - I tried to go for a fan layout with a difference
 - once the game is running I can always then consider doing a proc / fast upgrade ??? if I feel the need but really keen in keeping this game as a shallow rule set but challenging to play - we will see how that goes.
Features
 (will update with changes as we go along) currently it will have:
 11 x drop targets
 4 x additional switches linked to servo's via servo triggers to activate 2 additional mechs and will operate in a EM style way as no programming required. - more on these features later.
 2 x slingshots at the bottom
 1 x slingshot at the top to replace the pop bumper
 4  x flippers
 3 x roll over star inserts to replace the top in-lane switches
 1 x swappable feature from a pop bumper to a 3 or 2 post horizontal spinner to add variety to the game play = means different playing experiences - this is the wave impact zone /  a submerged rock ???
 2 x reverse inlanes which is inspired by Bally's Fathom but with the Skateball style through gates.
 1 x swappable bolt in centre post or a plate under the flippers to mix up the play
 1 x direct feed ball launch to the bottom flipper (kook - a beginner surfer) or to the upper rhs flipper (pro surfer) via a switchable gate or drop down wireform - still nutting this one out.
 2 x ramps (one is the wave ramp) and other is a big move (aerial) or a back door move - gotta see how the wave and ramps turn out.
this is the skateball rule set to adopt into this game
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:50:47 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: *Tube Time* - Custom Surfing Pinball
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 09:36:55 AM »
as for cabinet it will be in a 90's style bally / wms and I have a vision for the art - will just depend if I can do it when the time comes - might outside my skill set though original was toying with the idea of something relating to the Skateball style.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 09:43:03 AM »
Very nice flow on this table - reminds me of Seawitch, which is a FAST machine. Keep up the good work !

The Skateball artwork is lacking - I'd like to see a surf themed art package - whites, and blues with a crest of a wave breaking ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 09:46:34 AM »
The wave is going to be a major part as it serves as a main toy, space filler as well as a ramp and all going well will feed 2 different ramps - which will be determined by the power of your ball hit up there. This is the goal anyway.

first image is my attempt to model a basic wave, then next 3 are to slide the wave on to the playfield to aid in the visual and the direction I want to go.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:49:31 AM »
Very nice flow on this table - reminds me of Seawitch, which is a FAST machine. Keep up the good work !

The Skateball artwork is lacking - I'd like to see a surf themed art package - whites, and blues with a crest of a wave breaking ?

Thanks Nino, a couple of people have told me that of the Seawitch - never seen one up close.

As for the art, totally agree and was never totally happy with it, but have a vision and was going to take a portion of the translite and zoom up on it for the cabinet so not too busy but with a cresting wave etc.

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:26 AM »
wave development

been learning how to create this by setting up lots of profiles stepping back in a 3d space and then morphing those profiles to create a wave - this is the starting point but thought it might help people understand if they were curious and it is over the new proposed top plastic. I draw everything in 3d 1:1 scale in 3D Solidworks which is great as it allows me to assembly multiple parts and test for fit and function (to a degree).

back to the wave the below images show the virtual testing, will take many revisions to get to what is in my mind
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 09:57:49 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »
alot of the updates where from the last few weeks when I ramped things up.

below is where I go to over the weekend - starting to take more shape now.

image 1 - full playfield with plastics and targets, ramp starting to under go some tweaks and now has a SS ramp lead in to the wave
image 2 & 3 - close-ups of targets that will trigger direction changing servos, and the unique design ball launch to the flippers
image 4 & 5 - top lhs flipper - modelling up ball restriction bracket behind the flipper that can be a simple bolt on feature of a 3d printed plastic or stainless steel part.

^^^ Big thanks to Pop Bumper Pete for giving me a NOS modding board which lead to being able to switch operate some servo's seperate from the Skateball program ^^^

^^^ Big thanks to RTBB, Pinball Life and Alltek for the gear I have already purchased in preparation for the build  ^^^

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 10:20:54 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 01:32:54 PM »
Wow! Love your work! Looking forward to more updates.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
another almost mid week (in Aus) update
Boards have arrived The full Alltek Boardset (MPU, Solenoid, Lamp with test board) has landed.

And I started on the WAV Trigger boards from Sparkfun today for the games sound effects. I will go into more detail in the near future producing a pdf document that people to download and learn how to use these in pinballs from a no experience approach. I know a few guys have used them and I got some details but with no experience I was still a little confused so from my experience others should be able to give this ago for game rethemes or custom added sounds / music.
Below is my little custom SWINKS test rig comprising or 2 WAV trigger boards (red boards) and a board fitted with 32 switches to simulate playfield switches. This test rig will help me dabble and experiment before the playfield is ready and to test out my theories. The boards come with no fittings so you will have to buy the headers, cut to size and solder into place.
Why did I go for these boards: here is why - they are cool.
 - each board takes in 16 inputs (switches)
 - each board takes whatever sized mini SD card
 - the SD cad can hold up 1000 songs / sounds = 8hrs of audio on a 8gb card at 16-bit, 44.1kHz Stero CD Quality output
 - you can blend and overlap 8 x songs / sounds. This allows a switch on the cabinet to scroll through songs to the one you like and then play the ball. Each switch can connect access a selection of sounds from 1 to 80 odd and with the basic software you can tell it to go to next, random, stop when another sound comes on or to blend. You can also control volume on each batch so music folder a little softer and the sound effects pop over the top of it.
So no bally sound board needed on this game as these WAV trigger bords will bring up the modern sounds and music. You can step up to connect this board to a audino level and allow more than 16 switches but I don't want to get that involved hence the use of 2 boards.
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/wav-trigger-hookup-guide

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 12:30:54 AM »
keep up the good work and enthusiasm.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 10:42:56 AM »
alot of the updates where from the last few weeks when I ramped things up.

below is where I go to over the weekend - starting to take more shape now.

image 1 - full playfield with plastics and targets, ramp starting to under go some tweaks and now has a SS ramp lead in to the wave
image 2 & 3 - close-ups of targets that will trigger direction changing servos, and the unique design ball launch to the flippers
image 4 & 5 - top lhs flipper - modelling up ball restriction bracket behind the flipper that can be a simple bolt on feature of a 3d printed plastic or stainless steel part.

^^^ Big thanks to Pop Bumper Pete for giving me a NOS modding board which lead to being able to switch operate some servo's seperate from the Skateball program ^^^

^^^ Big thanks to RTBB, Pinball Life and Alltek for the gear I have already purchased in preparation for the build  ^^^

It can sometimes be just the small things - but I love the plastic protector behind the flipper - so the ball does not get stuck.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2017, 07:19:28 AM »
I am toying with the idea of a 2 part wave, one is static and the top section is rotating and potentially roll around 60 degrees starting at a peaking wave and rolling through to a tube. The idea is the static wave houses 2 bearings in each side and the rotating wave has a curved slot for the wave to roll on the bearings. This can be driven by a rotational motor.
Tube would direct the ball lower to the RHS flipper
 Peaking wave would direct the ball higher to HUEY and then the LHS flipper
Maybe the game could be set for a switch activation to move the wave from one position to the next or it could continuous rotate back and forth adding the challenge for a well timed shot for the perfect wave.

Then my dutch friend came out with a cool concept sketch to simplify the shots. It looks extremely cool but then fouls with my 4 flipper layout .... have to have a think

for pinball t-shirts

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »

Sick tube man!

continuous rotate back and forth adding the challenge for a well timed shot for the perfect wave

How deep can ya get!!! I like this idea.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
I am toying with the idea of a 2 part wave, one is static and the top section is rotating and potentially roll around 60 degrees starting at a peaking wave and rolling through to a tube. The idea is the static wave houses 2 bearings in each side and the rotating wave has a curved slot for the wave to roll on the bearings. This can be driven by a rotational motor.
Tube would direct the ball lower to the RHS flipper
 Peaking wave would direct the ball higher to HUEY and then the LHS flipper
Maybe the game could be set for a switch activation to move the wave from one position to the next or it could continuous rotate back and forth adding the challenge for a well timed shot for the perfect wave.

Then my dutch friend came out with a cool concept sketch to simplify the shots. It looks extremely cool but then fouls with my 4 flipper layout .... have to have a think

a nice innovation and departure from a lot of static bash toys
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 09:34:05 PM »
Got the wave ramp very close now - hopefully a hard hit will connect a high traveling ball to one wireform for bonus collect and low to medium hit will hopefully travel low to a lower wireform. Now just starting to work on the entry point of the SS ramp lead in.

And a guy was curious and created a VP from one of my earlier sketches and said that it had some fun shots - bummer that he played it before me.

for pinball t-shirts