Author Topic: SYSTEM 80b SOUND ISSUES HELP NEEDED  (Read 656 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
SYSTEM 80b SOUND ISSUES HELP NEEDED
« on: May 15, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
Sorry to keep annoying you all but cant find much info on the 80b online but the new CPU arrived for Rock which has the game up and running  $#$  Only a couple of issues but the main one is the sound board doesnt fire up.  But if i push the sw2 button the sound board boots up and all music etc works fine.  Any input on how to fix this?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: SYSTEM 80b SOUND ISSUES HELP NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 06:23:55 PM »
Does your soundboard have its own power supply as well?  Is it had the grounding mod done and is it getting correct voltages?

Given its a brandnew CPU?.. Should not be U6 either?

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 09:22:14 PM »
Sounds like a connector issue, if the board sounds work fine when you press the test switch on the sound board then it is most likley not getting the trigger from the soliniod driver board.  So could be the connector on the sound board or one on the driver board.  Do you have the schematics for  this game?
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 09:26:46 PM »
What sort of board did you buy?  Is it NOS or a new designed board?  Does it have a dip switch or software function that turns the sound off?

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »
Its a NOS dean and its like the sound board isnt booting up at power on the led either stays on or off instead of flashing.  Ive also noticed that the TILT GAME OVER coild energise with the attract lights which shouldnt happen either.  No i dont have the schematics for this exact game.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 10:50:27 PM »
Its a NOS dean and its like the sound board isnt booting up at power on the led either stays on or off instead of flashing.  Ive also noticed that the TILT GAME OVER coild energise with the attract lights which shouldnt happen either.  No i dont have the schematics for this exact game.

I was just about to ask if you had the schematics.

Check the sound board for connector problems or dry joints. Reseat any socketed chips.

I assume you have cleaned the Tilt/Game Over relays ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:55:01 PM »
Hey Nino
           Yes i have cleaned the tilt and game over relay they are getting there power from the driver board in attract mode im assuming as the cpu is NOS that a chip on the driver board has given up?  Game runs as it should once a game is started  ^&^.    At first i thought it was part of the attract mode but the flippers get power when the light flash aswell and im sure thats not meant to happen?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »

Visually check the CPU and Driver connectors - any pins bent / broken ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 10:46:36 AM »
Sorry to keep annoying you all but cant find much info on the 80b online but the new CPU arrived for Rock which has the game up and running  $#$  Only a couple of issues but the main one is the sound board doesnt fire up.  But if i push the sw2 button the sound board boots up and all music etc works fine.  Any input on how to fix this?
Lets be clear please on what is happening when you push switch 2.  This is sw 2 on the sound board.  Does it then go into a demo mode and play each sound?  Or does it then just turn on and operate normaly during game mode? This switch when pushed triggers a gate that sets the reset signal pin 40 on T3 which is the 6502 CPU.

I dont have schematics but if it plays each sound from the test button, I would assume the sound board and its supply voltages are Ok.  The signals to trigger the sounds, S1, S2, S3, S4 etc come from the driver board.

Can you please confirm excactly what you mean is happening when you push S2.

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 11:01:06 AM »
Regarding the Game Over and Tilt relays is it one or both that are enegised?

These come from A3 J3 on the driver board.  Without schematics cant tell you exactly which one but if you follow the board traces from A3 J3 to each MPS U45 transistor.  Could be a transistor/s? 

Could also be as Nino suggests a connector.  Maybe your missing an address or data line from the CPU to the driver board.  This could explain why you have problems in two areas (sound & game over etc)

Check the connector between the CPU and Driver board.  The driver board connections to the sound board are A3 J5 pins 1, 5, 6 & 7.  These our the sound trigger lines S1, S2, S3, S4. The CPU fires the inputs at IC Z13 and the output from this IC signal tells the Sound Board what sound to play as there are more than 4 sounds it also uses combinations of these signals for different sounds.  Could be this connector or this IC 'Z13' which is a 7404.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:15:59 AM »
Hey Dean the answer to you your first post is that when i press the button the soundboard is turned on and works correctly in game mode.

As for your second post both the Game over and tilt Relays are energised at the same time as the lights

Thanks for all your help guys ill check the connectors today and report back

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 11:18:18 AM »
Daniel re the sound board another check is as follows: on the CPU connector A1 J2 pin 24 is the reset line.  This should (I think, once again I dont have a Rock schematic) go to the sound board at A6 P1 - pin 9.  With the machine off do a continuity test between these two points.  Also check the wire colouring on these too confirm I am right in my thinking  I.e is it the same wire.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 11:19:40 AM »
Thanks Dean ill check that out your a bloody ledgend.  Is all this coming from memory???

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 11:21:23 AM »
Hey Dean the answer to you your first post is that when i press the button the soundboard is turned on and works correctly in game mode.

As for your second post both the Game over and tilt Relays are energised at the same time as the lights

Thanks for all your help guys ill check the connectors today and report back
 This being the case I would say you are almost certainy missing the reset signal to the CPU on the sound board.  As stated in my post above this comes from the Game CPU not the driver board.  Check this reset line for continuity as suggested in my previous post.

Also the transistors for Game Over and Tilt are most likley Q1 and Q2.

When talking about CPUs remeber the sound board has its own CPU built in.  The reset signal comes from the main 'GAME' CPU to the Sound Board CPU.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:31:24 AM by Dean Morgan »

• Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 11:23:27 AM »
Thanks Dean ill check that out your a bloody ledgend.  Is all this coming from memory???

:lol :lol Mate, I wish, my memory is stuffed.  Looking at schematics from a different System B game.  :lol