Author Topic: STTNG fix up  (Read 17514 times)

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
STTNG fix up
« on: July 17, 2017, 03:13:20 PM »
I have started a fix up of a Star Trek the Next Generation so I thought I would share some of the stages as I go.

The machine was looking very tired and well used.
Have fixed a coupe issues with the trough and some switches before starting and am happy the machine is in full working order.

I will fix, paint and re-decal the cabinet and also install a shiny new repo playfield which I am super excited about.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
Re: STTNG fix up
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »
Almost finished stripping the playfield and now have loads of stuff to clean, polish and plate. Looking forward to this!  ^&^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing, I have a STTNG coming (very excited!!) and enjoying the info.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 05:48:42 PM »
Has anyone had experience restoring the spinner in this machine? Not to sure what to do with it.  !@# I can't find one to purchase so figure there is no exact replacement so don't really want to trash it.
I am keen to keep the same original decal. I have thought about trying the Williams generic spinner that you bend to your own shape and somehow transfer the decal but not sure how successful that would be. I have also thought about just touching up the black paint and live with the slightly out of shape metal. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
A game I use to hate for the wrong reason. Seldom is this title reconditioned "shopped" or "fully done up" correctly. Once I restored one myself and it was working 100%, I could appreciate how deep and enjoyable this game is. There is so much engineering packed into this game. A widebody with the under playfield packed with mechanisms, switches, boards and the diverter subway ramp.

Tips - Replace ALL the optos. Every single one of them. Do the jumper from the AUX Driver PCB to the DT "drop" coil to solve the diverter coils cooking that PCB. Replace the cannon loom. The entire assembly. No joke, almost every game with silly problems leads backs to these not working.

Cliffy protector for the Nuetral Zone.

Shameless Plug - We have the full set of ramps and the plastic set on it's way - so if you want to go the full hog  #@#

Restoring the spinner - I think you can still buy the silver decal from Marcos. You will need to powdercaot the spinner or replace with a black blank.

Keep the updates coming  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:40:24 PM »

A game I use to hate for the wrong reason. Seldom is this title reconditioned "shopped" or "fully done up" correctly. Once I restored one myself and it was working 100%, I could appreciate how deep and enjoyable this game is. There is so much engineering packed into this game. A widebody with the under playfield packed with mechanisms, switches, boards and the diverter subway ramp.

This why I liked the game back in the 90's during my apprenticeship. After playing and loving it I bought a game off a local operator just to see how the thing worked. Regret selling that machine so this one is a keeper.

New ramps and plastics will go in it for sure. I will get a order list together as I go. I will keep my eye out on your site. Do you have the subway as well?

I checked Marco. They seem to have similar spinner decals but not the same. They do have the black spinner though which you must have to bend yourself. Plenty of time to ponder which way I want to go.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 08:59:02 PM »

This why I liked the game back in the 90's during my apprenticeship. After playing and loving it I bought a game off a local operator just to see how the thing worked. Regret selling that machine so this one is a keeper.

New ramps and plastics will go in it for sure. I will get a order list together as I go. I will keep my eye out on your site. Do you have the subway as well?

I checked Marco. They seem to have similar spinner decals but not the same. They do have the black spinner though which you must have to bend yourself. Plenty of time to ponder which way I want to go.

Subway is not in the current order (40 Ramps) - But I will append it and it should be here in 4-6 weeks.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
Sttng in a thousand pieces!!!! I have been chipping away at it slowly. Most of the playfield parts have been cleaned and bagged ready for the rebuilt. I am going to work on the cabinet next. I also need to order a big list of parts.  ^&^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 08:31:19 PM »
Good to see moving along. Have mine up and running and I love it!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 10:03:51 PM »
Currently chipping away at a High End resto as well. A really tough machine to restore, but I've said it before - the peak of Williams' Engineering. If the game is setup 100%, it has the rules to make it in the top 5 DMDs. 

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:58 PM »
Ive had mine for 4 - 5 years and still havnt striped it down for a good clean/ restore. There is so much on it, and the canons scare me a bit, ive had a new plastics set for a few years for it. Ive had a spinal fusion 3 years ago so not able to bend much or heavy lifting, and that playfield looks heavy.

Im following with interest, you are inspiring me to start mine.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
More damage on the cabinet than I expected but nothing that can't be fixed.

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2018, 07:24:53 PM »

Well a long time between posts as I've been distracted by other things but my restoration is finally edging forward. After a lot of cleaning, gluing, sanding and painting I am finally at the re-decal stage.  $#$ Things should happen much quicker from this point I hope!! Here's some pics of the head box and cabinet. I still have two side of the cabinet to decal but that will have to wait till next weekend.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2018, 08:15:51 PM »
Very nice!

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 09:59:32 PM »
Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk