Author Topic: Space Odyssey  (Read 21885 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Space Odyssey
« on: September 29, 2017, 10:34:11 AM »
Gday all . About time I posted a new resto thread here .

I have made a start on the Space Odyssey that I picked up recently. [/size]I have kept an eye out for one of these for a few years now .. I am a sucker for Space themes LOLI always start a resto by sealing the Backglass so that is what I did yesterday .I use Markseal for this but had run out so had to wait for my order which turned up earlier this week.Here are a few pics to give you an idea of condition .. most of the red has gone so will be trying to touch that up plus a few other bits and pieces where the paint has flaked off . I did consider buying a CPR BG but I think this original will turn out OK .The 1st pic shows where I started cleaning along the edge before sealing , using cotton balls and Shellite . Only lost a tiny bit of paint in the process [/color]
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Space Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
I have ordered some Jo Sonja paints so I can have a go at airbrushing the red back into this glass .
Both CPR and BGResto have done this one but I really can't justify forking out the $$ for a new glass right now.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2017, 10:38:11 AM »
I broke my own rule with this game and bought it sight unseen so I did not know the chime unit was missing . Seller had bought this game from the original OP but says he had never done any work on it (and it doesn't look like he did) so he was surprised to hear it was missing too . Will probably purchase a new one from chimeunit.com .Anyway, the bigger decision now is which playfield to use (game came with a spare) but both have issues .Playfield one is nice and clean underneath but has delamination around the POP Bumper area (I have never seen this before) so that could be a challenge to repair plus most inserts are sunken so will need to come out and be relevelled after removing mylar on the lower half of the PF.It also has a thin metallic layer that seems to be glued on the shooter lane and ball arch areas (I have never seen this before either) which would need to somehow be removed. Here are a few pics of Playfield one which is the original one in the cab.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 10:39:52 AM »
Here are a couple of pics of PF 2. Some idiot cut the wiring loom on this one so if I end up using it will need to do a full swap . All the underside is rusted plus some timber delamination underneath.. some damaged areas that would need repairs, all inserts are sunken so need remove/re level plus remove mylar from bottom half first .
I have never tried mylar removal before .. luckily I now have 2 playfields to practice that on
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 10:41:41 AM by goodolddays »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 10:46:55 AM »
Cab is in good shape .. might repaint it down the track .. dunno yet

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:56 PM »
It is very common for Exported machines into Europe to have the Chime Unit removed. Is the plug on the baseboard ? It is usually a six jones plug next to the knocker.

See how you go with the touch ups. Take your time and experiment.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »
It is very common for Exported machines into Europe to have the Chime Unit removed. Is the plug on the baseboard ? It is usually a six jones plug next to the knocker.

See how you go with the touch ups. Take your time and experiment.

Yes I know about Euro machines Nino . This one is an Aussie import , I am only the 3rd owner. Seller purchased it from the original Operator but did nothing to it, so it is a surprise the chime unit is missing

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 03:37:41 PM »
I have decided to use PF 2 so am now in the process of stripping it top and bottom . Will reuse the parts from PF1 as most of the underside of PF2 is too far gone due to rust
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 03:39:41 PM by goodolddays »

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:47 PM »

Have stripped the PF and today successfully completed my first ever attempt at mylar removal with minimal paint loss (mainly a bit of the red at the bottom of the bonus area) .

Have started cleaning the dirt and crud off with Euclayptus oil and magic eraser starting at the bottom of the PF before removing and relevelling inserts and doing some filling and touchups as needed.
A couple of pics showing where I am at now .. 

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »
Really love these Apollo era games, and the contrast between the tech that was in use to achieve the spacecraft compared to the EM "computers" in the games. I recall this as a pretty good player too.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:31:08 PM »
Nice one Dave ...
i am sure it will come up well ...

it is just one step at a time . ()

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 06:34:23 AM »
Update .. playfield has cleaned up better than expected.I am having trouble with colour matching .. out of practice does not help.I thought the Blue looked ok when I did it a few days ago but really its too dark . Not entirely happy with my amateur looking touchup of the lettering either . Yellow took 5 attempts  ::)

Also working on a new PBR order so I can get the parts before Xmas :)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 07:09:34 PM »
Great to see another old girl getting some love.    I may have a nice Backglass buried away from when I had mine but can’t remember if the glasses where space odyssey or space mission

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 10:25:47 PM »
What can help is a coat of primer on the timber to bind the paint and also help match the paint as the primer can be white. Gav taught me this old trick on the "Aces High" restoration. Are you using acrylics or enamels ? Are you planning to clear or mylar ?

Don't be discouraged or overwhelmed. You need to try different things and make mistakes - although one good tip - ask the missus to colour match - they are usually spot on !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
What can help is a coat of primer on the timber to bind the paint and also help match the paint as the primer can be white. Gav taught me this old trick on the "Aces High" restoration. Are you using acrylics or enamels ? Are you planning to clear or mylar ?

Don't be discouraged or overwhelmed. You need to try different things and make mistakes - although one good tip - ask the missus to colour match - they are usually spot on !

Gday Nino . I am using Jo Sonja Acrylics . Not planning to clear at this stage . Maybe Mylar .. will see .