Author Topic: Space Odyssey  (Read 21884 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Space Odyssey
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
Agree Nino. I think this is my 6th EM resto ???

A Lot of work goes into restoring EMs, but what you learn and the finished result is worth it. Keep at it - and remember to enjoy the process !
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 03:37:16 PM »
Yep .. the hardest work is behind me now Daniel .
Getting there mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pinoffski

• Forum Posts:
  • Wollongong NSW
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2018, 07:38:18 PM »
Progressing well there Dave lots of work to transfer all the parts over ...OMG

and then the fine tuning ..

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2018, 02:51:19 PM »
Hooray .
 After 4 months the playfield is finally back in the cab ! I call that a milestone
 Have started replacing the old playfield plastics but will probably do the baseboard overhaul next to get that out of the way

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
Playboard done .. just need to test the switches

Backbox next

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2018, 09:47:49 PM »
Have finished overhauling Player 1 score reels .. swapping coil stops from Player 2 reels to Player 1 reels as I go.First EM I have owned that has every label still intact .Amazing to think this is probably the first service this machine has had in 43 years !
Sadly nothing is made as robust as an EM any more and hasn't been for a long time .

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2018, 09:40:48 AM »
Have finished overhauling Player 1 score reels .. swapping coil stops from Player 2 reels to Player 1 reels as I go.First EM I have owned that has every label still intact .Amazing to think this is probably the first service this machine has had in 43 years !
Sadly nothing is made as robust as an EM any more and hasn't been for a long time .

That's why I love working on EMs. The old saying is true "They don't make them like they used to.."
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2018, 04:16:35 PM »
A bit of an update .

I finally finished overhauling the back box last week after struggling with both time and motivation to get it done.

I then repainted the black keylines around the inserts freehand after debating for a while on how to do it .. never had to worry about this much in the past. I then used my Stanley knife to tidy them up a bit by simply scraping away any excess.  #*#

Today I reassembled about 90% of the top of the play field so won't be too long now till I can fire this game up and start playing it  ()

Still need to instal the spinner, the Pop bumper globes , the ball eject coil, the new chime unit , flippers and new flipper kit (I forgot to buy new cabinet switches .. DOH!!!!)

Also will need to have a crack at restoring the backglass and at some stage will probably repaint the cab

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2018, 11:57:23 AM »
Great result. Looks very nice  ^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2018, 10:00:33 PM »
Thanks  a lot Nino.
I just need to find where I put the flipper rebuild kit I found 9 months ago .
Cheers
Dave

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 07:28:12 PM »
For those still following this thread .. I still can't find my flipper rebuild kit so have reused the old plunger and links and put in new coil sleeves and stops..
Have wired up new chime unit so maybe an hour's work left and hopefully I fire this game up for the first time on Wednesday this week
Must have been popular back in the day when it was new because the original OP left a tag on one of the flipper EOS saying full new flipper kit fitted in June '77

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2018, 08:54:14 AM »
Got this game running on Sunday . It plays pretty well . ()
Found 1000's relay was continually held on because switch D on Player relay was out of adjustment (closed for player 1 instead of open) Also had a couple of playfield switches not working because I had somehow missed screwing them in after the playfield swap.
Neither POP bumper was working due to badly pitted spoon switches which needed some major filing .
Still have a couple of gremlins to iron out .. 100,000 light for player 2 is always on and about 1 in 20 games nothing happens when hitting the start button (suspect game over relay not latching due to a mechanical issue)
Now I will need to have a stab at touching up the back glass .

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2018, 11:08:45 AM »
Got this game running on Sunday . It plays pretty well . ()
Found 1000's relay was continually held on because switch D on Player relay was out of adjustment (closed for player 1 instead of open) Also had a couple of playfield switches not working because I had somehow missed screwing them in after the playfield swap.
Neither POP bumper was working due to badly pitted spoon switches which needed some major filing .
Still have a couple of gremlins to iron out .. 100,000 light for player 2 is always on and about 1 in 20 games nothing happens when hitting the start button (suspect game over relay not latching due to a mechanical issue)
Now I will need to have a stab at touching up the back glass .

Good to hear you’ve got it playing again. I played a Space Odyssey for the first time recently amongst a very large selection of games and it really stood out as one I enjoyed playing the most.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2018, 12:01:55 PM »
Been enjoying this one, particularly like these spaceflight ones - please do a video of some gameplay when done!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
I finally got around to having a go at airbrushing some Red onto the backglass .
This is my first attempt at doing this and although not perfect i am pretty happy with it .
Before I painted it I cut out all the old faded red paint from the lettering (I had just started doing that when I took the before pic.)
Will have a stab at doing the score windows etc at a later date .