Author Topic: Jokerz restore Part 2  (Read 1044 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Jokerz restore Part 2
« on: May 19, 2009, 02:16:47 AM »
I am starting a new restore thread as the other one has had a couple of the pages coming up as a blank white screen

I have spent a lot of hours working on the cabinet.
I have cut out all the weak and separating areas of the ply wood and filling them with a fiberglass and stainless steel filler then touching up with normal filler.
the paint work on the cabinet is very weak, i masked up an area that i was working on with a weak adhesive masking tape and when i pulled it off after 30 minuites half the paint came off with it.
no use in trying to touch it up so i sanded it back to bear wood.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Re: Jokerz restore Part 2
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 02:21:35 AM »
here is the back box after sanding
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2009, 02:27:03 AM »
all filled and ready for primer

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 02:28:42 AM »
next part is the main cabinet
most of the repair work is done, i just have to finish sanding the sides.
then the new art work!
Now that is going to be interesting.
my vinyl cutter will be here tomorrow.
i just need to learn how to drive it  !@#
it's been about 10 years since i have used one
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 02:52:15 AM by Beaky »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »

Good Start Beaky !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »
Great stuff.  Can't wait to see the results

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 10:12:02 PM »
excellent work in stripping and filling! Could you have just used normal filler without having to resort to fibreglass, or does the depth of the scars get to a point where only fibreglass will save it?

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 12:00:01 AM »
excellent work in stripping and filling! Could you have just used normal filler without having to resort to fibreglass, or does the depth of the scars get to a point where only fibreglass will save it?
a lot of the parts i had to fill are on corners and next to the edge so i dont want it falling out on the first knock
the reinforced stuff isnt much more expensive than the normal filler so i thought what the hell, and after the spray job i would hate to see chips in it.

dam rain has stopped my process at the moment, had to bring the car into the garage.

so i am working on the artwork for the stencils for the moment.

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 12:09:17 AM »
Looking good.
Whats the fibreglass filler like to fill and sand?
Filled my backbox with Builders Bog - Crap  *.* -Applied it on Monday & attempted to rub it back tonight & its still soft so I scraped it all off.
Used Gyprock top coat on the front of cab and found it good, dries quick & easy to sand.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 12:16:25 AM »
Looking good.
Filled my backbox with Builders Bog - Crap  *.* -Applied it on Monday & attempted to rub it back tonight & its still soft so I scraped it all off.
Used Gyprock top coat on the front of cab and found it good, dries quick & easy to sand.
great stuff as long as you sand within 24 hours, after that its time to get the angle grinder out.
but if you dont put enough hardener it wont cure properly either,
i have a disk sander and two orbital sanders (normal one and a mouse type) i get it close to level with the orbitals and finish off by hand then fill the last little imperfections with the standard car bog.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »
Looking good.

Hmm,

Generally builders bog should setup within a couple of hours for sanding.  Maybe not the correct mixture of hardner went into it?

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 08:20:42 PM »
Looking good.

Hmm,

Generally builders bog should setup within a couple of hours for sanding.  Maybe not the correct mixture of hardner went into it?
yep i agree, problem is usually the mixture ratio is 50 to 1 ( read the can to be sure) and unless you have a set of scales that measures in 0.001 steps its pretty hard to get it right so i always end up putting in more hardener than needed and they only give you 10 grams of hardner per 500 grams of bog so i always run out of hardener, and you cant buy the hardener separately. (well i cant find it anywhere)