Author Topic: Sydney - Clear Coat  (Read 934 times)

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Re: Sydney - Clear Coat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 03:33:58 PM »
RIC. JUST LOOK HOW GOOD MYLAR LOOKS, THIS IS THE LAST PIN THAT I MYLARED .
http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1235.15

Thanks for posting that Spurr ! I had completely forgotten about that resto of yours . Now that you've reminded me about it I am definitely leaning towards mylaring my whole PF (on my Lady Luck) .

The question is :-
are there different brands/rhicknesses of mylar ? Would be keen to know the brand and thickness of myalr you used on that beautiful resto of yours.

The mylar on my other EM's (which is probably original) just doesn't clean up anywhere near as nice as your Bank a Ball.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
~You only need to protect the work youve done with a thin layer - after that a good waxing and good balls wil keep it nice and pristine - also original looking. You sure you need to cover the whole PF??

With restoration - whispers are the go... do as little as possible. Of course if youve done a whole PF repaint then cover the whole PF, but if its a touch up then a full PF coating is a bit excessive IMO.
 Im not a big fan of CC either and ill only do it if customer insists - even then ill offer alternatives or if ive repainted that much that a full CC is the only option.
 Spurr is right - linseed based finishes do yellow over time, but unless youve removed the finish thats already there, then it will continue to yellow under your new mylar.
 What you do to your machine is your choice... but remember the choices you make today may well be the ones you regret tomorrow.

There are many options to choose from.

Mylar can be removed - so can acrylic CC

I used 2 pac poly around the kickouts because it allowed me protect right down inside the PF at the bare wood also - this is where the ball hits time and time again and often this timber is eroding.
 It also matches perfectly the original factory finish - semi gloss is the go.
 For touch ups i use nothing but the poly through an air brush.
 Im also a firm believer in keeping things as original as poss and if a PF is pre Mylar then it should remain so. If it is a painted PF - it should remain so - no friggin stickers!
 I have a Wms APOLLO here that has the PF Mylared - im itchin to get the damn stuff off!... One word for it - sacriliage!

LOL!!! Rant rant

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 07:50:28 PM »
~You only need to protect the work youve done with a thin layer - after that a good waxing and good balls wil keep it nice and pristine - also original looking. You sure you need to cover the whole PF??

With restoration - whispers are the go... do as little as possible. Of course if youve done a whole PF repaint then cover the whole PF, but if its a touch up then a full PF coating is a bit excessive IMO.
 Im not a big fan of CC either and ill only do it if customer insists - even then ill offer alternatives or if ive repainted that much that a full CC is the only option.
 Spurr is right - linseed based finishes do yellow over time, but unless youve removed the finish thats already there, then it will continue to yellow under your new mylar.
 What you do to your machine is your choice... but remember the choices you make today may well be the ones you regret tomorrow.

There are many options to choose from.

Mylar can be removed - so can acrylic CC

I used 2 pac poly around the kickouts because it allowed me protect right down inside the PF at the bare wood also - this is where the ball hits time and time again and often this timber is eroding.
 It also matches perfectly the original factory finish - semi gloss is the go.
 For touch ups i use nothing but the poly through an air brush.
 Im also a firm believer in keeping things as original as poss and if a PF is pre Mylar then it should remain so. If it is a painted PF - it should remain so - no friggin stickers!
 I have a Wms APOLLO here that has the PF Mylared - im itchin to get the damn stuff off!... One word for it - sacriliage!

LOL!!! Rant rant

Really appreciate your input Gav .. thanks  ^^^
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2009, 08:08:58 PM »
LOl.. ill get off me high horse now...

Offline Ric

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »
i am still tossing up which way to go

WIll have another look a tthe PF in detail and make a deicision

Gav - can you advise what polyurethane you used and what you used to thin it?

Cheers

Ric

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 05:49:54 PM »
Would have been Wattyl  from a tin - theres an additive that is on the same shelf which makes it go rock hard. Thinners is straight turps..

it doesnt need thinning back that much - just enough to flow through an air brush

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 02:10:21 AM »
Well always good to get your opinion Gav
                 I always think along your lines if its not needed dont bother.   \

Keep up the great work Gav