Author Topic: IJ mini playfield  (Read 2223 times)

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
IJ mini playfield
« on: March 16, 2018, 08:30:54 PM »
Howdy
Have had issues with the mini playfield on my IJ. At times it locks to one side either in game play or when pin is switched on you can hear the coil/motor winding over slowly. So, have replaced optos. There is 70vdc at the coil but when I ground the other side of the coil it does not work. Continuity is good. I reckon the coil/ motor is kaputt! Can someone please confirm this before I take the plunge and purchase a new replacement. Thankyou

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: IJ mini playfield
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 12:21:30 PM »
How does the mini playfield respond in test mode ? Sounds like it is intermittent, so it might not be the motor.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 12:30:55 PM »
Works fine in test mode however when I first turned pin on it locked to the right hand side.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 01:40:23 PM »
Had a similar issue recently test mode was fine because it’s controlled by the flipper Optos it ended up being a fault on the control board under the playfield.   I think one of the Opto couplers has died but I did a change over and as usual havnt got around to fixing it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:17:51 PM »
Well, didn’t think to remove and have a closer look at the opto board under the playfield (thanks goes to ddstoys) and presto!! LED fell off and looks like the capacitor has leaked all over the circuit board and is causing the issues. Replaced with new board and all good.
Still have an issue with the pin turning off randomly and restarting itself. Any help suggestions would be great.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:23 PM »
Re seat the connectors on the right hand side of the driver board and he left hand side see if that helps at all if it does you probably need some connector love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:48 AM »
Random resets, or resets when both flippers pressed at the same time ?

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 03:57:06 PM »
No only randomly in general play and at the very end when credits come up. Will be checking connectors J101 and J114 again (upgrade maybe) and then perhaps move onto caps bridge rectifiers. ( not looking forward to that!) All components on driver board are original so perhaps it time for replacements. Thanks heaps for the help. Open for any other suggestions.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 11:20:17 PM »
No only randomly in general play and at the very end when credits come up. Will be checking connectors J101 and J114 again (upgrade maybe) and then perhaps move onto caps bridge rectifiers. ( not looking forward to that!) All components on driver board are original so perhaps it time for replacements. Thanks heaps for the help. Open for any other suggestions.

Reseating those connectors may improve the stability on the short term, but will also prove that they are the issue. Much easier to replace the connectors than replace the BR and Caps !

Do you have any mods in the game ? They can tip the +12V or +5V into a random reset.

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 12:46:10 AM »
No mods on game. I had already replaced connector J101 a few years back. Will not be replacing br or caps cause work was done by a John Grist way back around 2010 when I first purchased pin. With jumper leads already on back of board perhaps connector J114 needs replacing???

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
  • central coast, New South Wales
  • Scrambled human circut boards
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2018, 11:35:06 PM »
A bit new to posting advice here but outside of the box thinking the Mini PF was subject to a lot of errors (intermittently) coming up as the loom wore through on a wireform underneath the POA and shorted. Just a thought??

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 01:32:32 PM »
Had another set of eyes look at the driver board and it looks like the 5v is unstable so could possibly be a regulator issue. Will keep you posted and thanks for all the advice.

Offline VanillaSlicePie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
Update. Had all components related to 5v (BR’s Caps and a diodes) replaced and no resets. Didn’t really think this was the isssue due to the fact it was done by a tech 8 years ago. Happy days