Author Topic: PLAYFIELD RESTORATION  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: PLAYFIELD RESTORATION
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 10:23:24 PM »
Ive looked into shipping.

My regular courier wont carry them as the size is a little too large.
I found another courier to do this.
Each way to Sydney is $40
melbourne $56
Adelaide $64

This gives you a  weight up to 40Kgs. So its possible to send 2 PF's for the price of one.

My way of thinking is to have ALL furniture removed and any drop target assemblies before shipping. This keeps the bulk size and quite a bit of weight down.

1 PF can be heavily wrapped in bubble wrap and then cardboard wrapped around it - TOP LOAD ONLY.

2 PF's would need custom box made. If you put them face to face with a towel or another protector in between. Wrap in bubble wrap and a lightweight box made from 3mm MDF and pine struts should see you OK.

BTW - this shipment goes on my card as i have to open an account. The return journey is actually slightly cheaper. I ring from my end, give address to pick up from and it arrives here. I then send back down when done.

Ill be ringing round to see if i can get a cheaper option this week, but at the moment, this is the only price ive been given.

Another option is to have it delivered to a depot, but id rather door to door

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 12:09:53 AM »

That's cheap, Gavin..

I was thinking of using "Pack and Send", as they make custom cardboard boxes with foam as packing that fits the exact playfield.. But they are expensive - but very reliable..

Great news...
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2008, 12:32:36 AM »
Its not bad,

I still wouldnt mind trying to get a cheaper price - it still adds approx $100 to the price of any restore. In saying that though, cos you get a weight up to 40Kg's, its certainly a bloody good deal for 2 PF's.

You can get foam/ polystyrene dirt cheap - a lot of sign shops use it to make letters out of, enquire with them and theyll steer you in the right direction. In fact many would have large off cuts that are of no use to them.

Heres an idea that just came to me - wrap the PF in plastic, place in box and fill with spray foam - perfect moulding

Any wooden box that gets made doesnt have to be heavy duty. Id honestly be looking at a light frame with 3mm board around it. Nylon straps then around that would be more than enough protection

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2008, 10:39:58 AM »

Heres an idea that just came to me - wrap the PF in plastic, place in box and fill with spray foam - perfect moulding

Exactly what "Pack'n'Send" do. It is like a custom fitting box.

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2008, 11:02:28 PM »
I know BG are next year but how would we send those fragile buggers?? My problem is I work for an air-freight company and I see 1st hand how freight is handled ^.^ not good..

Any ideas Gavin..

Peter
^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2008, 11:44:46 PM »

I've ordered and received 5 Backglasses from Canada without a scratch... The box was custom made, and very sturdy..

I can send one of mine up to Gavin to "reverse engineer" if that helps.. Unless he has other options..

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2008, 12:28:40 AM »
I know too well how stuff is handled also - not pretty!

When they are on their way up a good and liberal wrapping of bubble wrap and then card should be OK with particular attention to the corners, its via courier company so its handled a bit better.

On the return journey, i will be custom making boxes, unless people want to send via custom box - thats fine by me - saves me having to make one.

Youve got to slim the PF;s down as much as poss - so all drop target banks to be removed and face of PF to be furniture free. Single kick out coils can remain etc, but the larger items have to be removed

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2008, 11:37:00 AM »
I know too well how stuff is handled also - not pretty!

When they are on their way up a good and liberal wrapping of bubble wrap and then card should be OK with particular attention to the corners, its via courier company so its handled a bit better.

On the return journey, i will be custom making boxes, unless people want to send via custom box - thats fine by me - saves me having to make one.

Youve got to slim the PF;s down as much as poss - so all drop target banks to be removed and face of PF to be furniture free. Single kick out coils can remain etc, but the larger items have to be removed

Will look with much interest next year when you comence the Back Glass touch up's.. ^^^

Peter