Author Topic: Bally Solenoid Driver Repair  (Read 12941 times)

stuba

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Bally Solenoid Driver Repair
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:33:18 AM »
righto then. at the risk of being pushy I do have the board out at the moment (first time I've done one of these boards which is why I'm asking). i have rebuilt ALL of the HV components, looks like one of the 1/2 watt resistors cooked a while back (before the replaced upgrade). i'll do the ground upgrades on the 2 big caps and tie TP1 and TP3. i will do the headers and connectors, I am upgrading C23 to 15K mf (EBD has 3 flippers). I have a replacement flipper relay but wasn't going to replace it because the other one is working fine (should I ?) - are these a common cause of failure? appreciate your comments guys if there is anything else you recommend! cheers s

to any noobs reading this thread, have a go!, it's pretty satisfying to be able to fix your game from top to bottom. if you haven't done much/any soldering do an online tutorial and maybe practice on a cheap jaycar kit or something before tackling a pin board. the one main thing i have learned is you should spend more care and time on component removal than component addition. Those traces are hard to repair if you carelessly break them removing components (get a good pair of tiny sidecutters and take no risks 'pulling' components - cut them off!). also 'test' your work with a MM before connecting the power! test for shorts if it looks like a couple of joints may be too close and make sure your connections are tight.