Author Topic: Bally Solenoid Driver Repair  (Read 12915 times)

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Re: Bally Solenoid Driver Repair
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 11:02:06 PM »

Clays tips are great but are not the be all and end all to fixing your game. I take what i can from Clays, but use a lot of my own methods also. for example, i still dont quite get how he tests the transistors, i prefer to do a resistance test either way through the legs - i understand that.

Yes Gavin, I've found many "holes" in Clays documents also, but it is a great starting point and resource for anyone beginning or doing regular pinball repairs (mainly circuit board repairs). I find it very helpful, as I don't have to remember the things I worked out years ago, or remember what Clay has already written down that I hadn't worked out yet. I was working on pinball boards for about 4 years before I even knew Clays guide existed!

One thing my electronics teachers taught me when I was studying at TAFE for the Diploma of Engineering (Electronics) - It's not as important to remember everything you learn here, but it is important to remember where/how to find the information you currently need. I have no problem telling people I use Clay's guides, as he has written it down, and I know where to look for the info I need at any given time (if I know it is already there).

What I have worked out over the years is in a note book that I can look up when needed. That way when I have a few too many to drink on a weekend and loose the brain cells that had that information I don't have to worry... I've already written it down!  :lol
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:06:30 PM by pinball-fixer »