Author Topic: White Water or Fishtales  (Read 1678 times)

Offline Red Series 3

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
White Water or Fishtales
« on: May 23, 2009, 03:23:48 AM »
I'm looking for either machine in poor condition.
P.m me

Thanks

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: White Water or Fishtales
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 03:59:23 AM »
 %)% and good luck finding either machine how about an introduction post in the intro section??? ^^^

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 09:26:52 AM »
My vote is for White Water. Long term I think it would be more involving as a game.

But really, you can't go wrong with either.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 09:43:48 AM »
Trouble with whitewater is that its so over-rated, so it gets money it dont deserve. Its an OK game but boring in the longer term(the yeti is only cool thing about it lol). FT has an appeal that keeps you coming back. I would own it again but wouldnt own a WH20 (unless it was real cheap).

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:45:45 AM by Extra Ball »

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 09:46:34 AM »
Why do you want one in poor condition Red ????  !@#

Guess you're gonna do a resto on it but how poor a quality are you talking here .

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »

I have just had 3  Fts  come in  all untouched

sorry the ww has already been sold

drop me a line if you wnat pictures of the worst one

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 10:56:45 AM »
Trouble with whitewater is that its so over-rated, so it gets money it dont deserve. Its an OK game but boring in the longer term(the yeti is only cool thing about it lol). FT has an appeal that keeps you coming back. I would own it again but wouldnt own a WH20 (unless it was real cheap).

Its funny how we all have different tastes...........love white water and cant stand fishtales.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 11:21:35 AM »

Its funny how we all have different tastes...........love white water and cant stand fishtales.

That's one of the great strengths of Pinball - each person sees machines differently  ^^^

I LOVE Fishtales - It is a fun game that appears to kids -  it is a "family friendly" pinball because of the theme and the simple gameplay. I don't think I'd ever own one - it is not "deep" enough

WH2O is also a fun game - and it could be considered a "family friendly" pin as well - but not as much as FT. I've heard that some say kids love WH2O because of the ramps etc. Gameplay would be a little harder that FT

Both are really good games - WH2O has been "talked up" a lot recently. I can see why it would be a difficult choice !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 11:36:30 AM »
I own em both.
For me they are both keepers.
Completely different games IMO.

Hey Extraball I am amazed you think that about WH20- honestly  !@#
I guess thats the thing about all having different tastes.
But its a LOT deeper than just a revolving head %%$  :lol

To me - WH20 is a very difficult game with some really hard shots to make, awesome ramps and loops , good sound and a fantastic light show.
The rules are SO MUCH deeper than FT......and I am STILL yet to get to Vacation Planner after owning this game for a year or so.
I can really only assume you havent played it a lot !@#
GREAT game IMO.

I also like FT quite a lot , but for different reasons.....it is a very very simple game that just flows along nicely.
Its not 'deep' in any way and has no 'end objective'.
Its easy to just bash the ball around the X-Cross ramps etc etc.
Some people get bothered by the banjo style music - I dont.

Between the 2 I would say FT would get older faster.

Good luck with your search
DW Drums rule !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 11:59:23 AM »
LOL- im with Silverball... I absolutely detest FT!!! - I cant even be in the same room as the attract music - drives me bloody nuts.
 I hated it when it came out and was sited - went back to it at Stu's house and i was straight back 20 years - absolutely hate the game

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 12:48:23 PM »
Hey Wotto I have prob had 10-20 games on WH20, so maybe my appraisal is off. But I do make-up my mind about pins after only a handful of games. Prob the reason I dont want DMDS, too much BS for me. I do love AFM and RFM, but these are machines you can walk-up to and get into right away......first ball! Prob the reason I love old SS, its classic knock-em-down fun, no thinking........just doing! FT I simply had to own after I looked and heard the thing, then during the first ball I was hooked! (gunna own FT and BR again oneday, both simple fun pins).
Or maybe I am just simple.
 :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 01:38:41 PM »
Never much cared for FT - fun game, but the theme never grabbed me (despite having done lots of fishing over the years). WH2O is one I'd own except Nug would get annoyed if I didn't go there to play his - love the game!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline madness

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

What the man said!
at's one of the great strengths of Pinball - each person sees machines differently  ^^^

I LOVE Fishtales - It is a fun game that appears to kids -  it is a "family friendly" pinball because of the theme and the simple gameplay. I don't think I'd ever own one - it is not "deep" enough

WH2O is also a fun game - and it could be considered a "family friendly" pin as well - but not as much as FT. I've heard that some say kids love WH2O because of the ramps etc. Gameplay would be a little harder that FT

Both are really good games - WH2O has been "talked up" a lot recently. I can see why it would be a difficult choice !

Offline Red Series 3

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2009, 01:13:04 PM »
Yeah i can see everybody's point of view in regards to these machines.
I find the appeal of fishtales in the simplicity of its design. There is no under playfield, only two flippers, three bumpers, it is simple for anybody to have a game and enjoy themselves. Unless you have completed all the jackpots and got the super jackpot i don't think you can say there is no depth to the game. Oh and the scene where you get to put your name in the high scores on a deserted beach with palm trees is cool

Whitewater is a hard game. Most people will drain balls very fast and I have never seen a ball save on a whitewater which is very frustrating. But once you start to make the ramp shots it really becomes fun, the first time i made the insanity falls shot was filth. I have had a great time playing it and am no where near getting the vacation planner jackpot.

I recently saw an average condition fishtales sell on Ebay for $1666 in Aus and i thought to myself i should have bought that. But i had no chance to inspect prior to the auction so i did not bid.

I personally think that the games that are not based on a popular license have had more time/money spent on development and are usually better games. A great comparison is Revenge from Mars to Star Wars Episode 1 with RFM being a much better game.

I appreciate all the help and information.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »
Yeah i can see everybody's point of view in regards to these machines.
I find the appeal of fishtales in the simplicity of its design. There is no under playfield, only two flippers, three bumpers, it is simple for anybody to have a game and enjoy themselves. Unless you have completed all the jackpots and got the super jackpot i don't think you can say there is no depth to the game. Oh and the scene where you get to put your name in the high scores on a deserted beach with palm trees is cool

Whitewater is a hard game. Most people will drain balls very fast and I have never seen a ball save on a whitewater which is very frustrating. But once you start to make the ramp shots it really becomes fun, the first time i made the insanity falls shot was filth. I have had a great time playing it and am no where near getting the vacation planner jackpot.

I recently saw an average condition fishtales sell on Ebay for $1666 in Aus and i thought to myself i should have bought that. But i had no chance to inspect prior to the auction so i did not bid.

I personally think that the games that are not based on a popular license have had more time/money spent on development and are usually better games. A great comparison is Revenge from Mars to Star Wars Episode 1 with RFM being a much better game.

I appreciate all the help and information.

The home Rom LH-6 has a ball saver and a few other cool things too.

I really could not get into FT, I tried have played many games but never enjoyed playing.

WH20 on the other hand grabbed me immediately, heaps of ramps, fast flowing shots and a very deep ruleset to keep you interested. 

I don't think WH20 is overated, but now seems to be getting a bit more popular for some reason