Author Topic: Update from IPB: Today the original Williams/Bally tooling.  (Read 919 times)

Offline Pinballace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Today Greg (RTBB Greg) and I spent the day doing an inventory on the original WMS/Bally tooling at IPB.  There are over 250 original injection tools on site and over 300 at varous injection companies.  Most of the tools that are at the injection companies are playfield insert tools IPB is using for their new playfield production the ones remaining on site are for all the other pinball parts like the Judge Dredd topper, drop targets, Diner cup, Black Rose Cannon base/flap and many many more. 

There are over 150 original thermoforming tools (most are used to make ramps), of course we've already been using these to make ramps over the past 3 years. 

There are over 200 metal die tools that are used to stamp metal brackets, legs, lockdowns, ect. 

We've located a lot of other tooling still at the original forming companies.  More to follow about them when we are at liberty to report.  ^^^

Surprisingly the injection and die tooling is in great shape, while the outer shells may look a bit aged they look as shiney as a new polished Corvette on the inside.  We'll try and get some photo's up sometime in the next few days.  We can't wait to get starting working with IPB using these tools to make hundreds of new parts.  It's been a fun week, Greg is absolutely knackered.  I don't think this is what he had in mind for his holiday's but he is indeed enjoying himself getting to uncover so many fun things.

On one other note, Greg laughed his arse off :lol when he found over 30,000 parts on one single pallet.  Not sure what he mean't by his constant laughing but he really enjoyed it.

Cheers,
James
The ramp business was very very good to me.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Oh mate, this is way too good!

Question - I've seen others supplying "genuine replacement parts" - are these made with the genuine tooling too? Or does this mean you will be the only one able to supply genuine parts??
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Fantastic, would be great fun going through all that gear

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Nick's point is interesting - Is there only ONE instance of each "Set" of genuine tooling ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Geoffh

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne Vic
If the original tooling was not used and new tooling made then they would only be replacement parts not "genuine".

Is that how it works? I see many ads for replacement parts.

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:
Oh mate, this is way too good!

Question - I've seen others supplying "genuine replacement parts" - are these made with the genuine tooling too? Or does this mean you will be the only one able to supply genuine parts??

It seems the term "genuine" can be very misleading.  I've seen companies paste "genuine" labels on any kind of part regardless of quality or origin.  Unfortunately too many of those parts don't have a true original manufacturers QC bases to them.  Using the original tooling and sometimes even making improvements in materials is more genuine than any cheap paper label.

To give you background, when IPB struck the deal with Williams they purchased ALL the remaining pinball parts inventory from Williams and ALL tooling used in pinball manufacturing from Williams.  The contract stated all tools whereas thus no matter where the tooling resides it belonged to IPB.    The one caveat to that is artwork.  It is really sad to see anyone print decals and other artwork using a inkjet or ribbon printer and call the artwork a "genuine" replacement.  The original artwork was ALWAYS screen printed.

In short, those making parts claiming to be "genuine" are not making them with the original tooling unless they have been working with IPB.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

This is all news to me and is interesting as it unfolds  *%*

IPB bought NOS stock from the Williams factory.
IPB bought the original tooling from the Williams factory

Genuine reproduction parts can only be claimed to be from IPB and sold through their distributors.

Now lets hope you find the CV ramp moulds !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
On one other note, Greg laughed his arse off  when he found over 30,000 parts on one single pallet.  Not sure what he mean't by his constant laughing but he really enjoyed it. /quote]

Jesus cant wait for the lucky bugger to count and list all of these parts %.% %.% %.% %.%
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 04:39:49 PM by wonder »
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Docpinball

• Forum Posts:
Hi James and Greg, Dave from Bumper Action here.  Great to here about this brilliant aquisition. Very exciting. 

Hopefully we can really see new parts start to roll now with all these injection moulds now available. How soon do you think we will start to see some of this new product start to circulate? (After the endless inventory is finished LOL).

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
I'm thinking?? GORGAR plastics may come around soon??? James & Greg I'm very jealous I wish I could be there opening boxes for you!! Wont take me long to pack <..>

Peter

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Great news James,

Would be awesome fun doing what you and Greg are, unpacking all these goodies!

If you find some Police Force stuff,  #*# I'll be smiles all around....Greg - If you look after me I'll mow your lawn for a month! (front and back!) or wash your car for a month..... $#$

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

Dav....  I did offer to put you in mine or Damiens bags when we leave next week to load the next few containers .....

James you found that light switch ok this time ......
did you manage to lift the MM mould we found last time

great to see you guys are sorting them , 

30,000 parts on a pallet , was it a small pallet .    which pallet was it .  I am guessing it was the one on the far left corner of the overflow factory  :lol :lol
there was and still is so many pallets of parts there its not funny

hope you guys are having fun and cya next week .  container is booked to be dropped off already

mark

Offline Pinballace

• Forum Posts:

30,000 parts on a pallet , was it a small pallet .    which pallet was it .  I am guessing it was the one on the far left corner of the overflow factory  :lol :lol

hope you guys are having fun and cya next week .  container is booked to be dropped off already

mark

Yes, in that one small corner of the overflow factory is over 100,000 parts.  Of course it's an odd thing about parts.  It's easy to claim 30,000 or 40,000 or even 100,000 parts on hand when you include small bits like screws and washers.  When you think of it, there are over 3000 parts in a single machine so the total parts from only 10 machines add up to 30,000 plus parts.  So say if you wanted to build 100 machines you'd have to have over 300,000 parts on hand.  When Gene built BBB he used over 500,000 parts and that was just for 185  or so machines.

BTW Mark, I found more.....SPEAKERS!!!!  I may be up to 30,000 speakers by now. :lol

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

mark

Yes, in that one small corner of the overflow factory is over 100,000 parts.  Of course it's an odd thing about parts.  It's easy to claim 30,000 or 40,000 or even 100,000 parts on hand when you include small bits like screws and washers.  When you think of it, there are over 3000 parts in a single machine so the total parts from only 10 machines add up to 30,000 plus parts.  So say if you wanted to build 100 machines you'd have to have over 300,000 parts on hand.  When Gene built BBB he used over 500,000 parts and that was just for 185  or so machines.

BTW Mark, I found more.....SPEAKERS!!!!  I may be up to 30,000 speakers by now. :lol

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i dont want them

they can be land fill   NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am still dreaming of speakers , you nad bloody Tim put how many boxes in as packing when I wasnt looking
them and the star wars thingys ...

and you're right  I would guess we have now at psp  close to 1500 parts or so  but say  star posts we have bags of 5000 of each and nuts and bolts
yea I guess 30000  would  be easy on one pallet

mark
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:00:00 AM by markc »

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I was just looking over my collection of parts and junk - I might have 30,000 parts too (including screws if you include before I was married...)
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”