Author Topic: Fitting a new coin door to system 11 Williams pinball  (Read 1531 times)

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Fitting a new coin door to system 11 Williams pinball
« on: August 21, 2009, 02:29:26 AM »
Just fitted the brand new three slot coin door i bought from http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/  (Mark C as most of us already know).
Great lookin' door thats for sure.
Any way as it is a later model door than my pin it had a few differences. The wiring is sligtly different, like the slam tilt switch has a different return wire on the newer door as on the old door it shares a common return with the coin switches and high score reset button + all the switches on the common return i just mentioned have a diode but none of the switches on the new door have a diode.The last difference with the new & old door is that there a 4 diagnostic / adjustment buttons which are all momentry buttons which share all one common with the coin switches and with no diodes and the old door has 3 buttons, 2 share the same return with no diode and one shares the return with the coin switches and sliam tilt. Plus the middle button is different than the outer 2, The outer 2 are momentry but the center one is a push to turn on push again to turn off.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:55:58 PM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
I started by drawing a pin conection diagram for the old door and a wiring diagram for the new door.
I then removed the pins from the plug on the old door & the wires from the plug on the new door.
Next I removed the adjustment switches from both and soldered + attached the old 3 switch holder to the new door ensuring the diode was wired correctly.
I then added the diodes to the coin switches and modified the slam tilt switch by adding an extra solder point for the diode connection like the slam tilt contacts on the old door has. unfortunately the mounting screw holes on these two contact sets are different. Fortunately the hole spacing for the new slam tilt has the same spacing as an EOS contact set so i was able to use a spacer and shortend leaf from an old EOS for the extra solder point i needed on the new slam tilt.
The return for the slam tilt was then spliced to the common return from the coin & high score reset switches.
Then the wires where attached to the pins and inserted in the old plug.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline beaky

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
Every thing worked perfectly when the new coin door was bolted up and pluged in.

I will add the wiring legend for the new coin door soon if any one else needs to do the same thing on a system 11 WMS pin in the future.

This was defiantly worth the effort making the pin look several years newer.

The cabinet has been waxed before the pic with the new door and a new clear red ball shooter has been fitted.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 12:58:52 PM by Beaky »

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne

shhh beaky  you the only one who got a 3 slot one ...

i still havent listed them yet lol

looks good too

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Good one Beaky !

Sounds like an easy job.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Definitely gives the machine a lift - might have to check whether the doors on my machines look tired or not.