Author Topic: STEPPER UNIT REPAIRS (Noob warning Take detailed photos before starting this)  (Read 12887 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
STEP 12   Once its all back together double check that the unit is in the reset position if it has one and check that the Fingers
                line up with the buttons if not Loosen the screws and gently rotate either the wiper disk or PCB until the line up
                then tighten the crews again.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
STEP 13   Test the unit by manually activating the plungers fingers crossed the unit steps freely up and down or resets as 
                required.  If this still has not fixed the unit the springs may have lost to much tension a cheats way (Ill probably get
                shot for saying this) only to get the machine going (New springs should be purchased).  Each spring has a loop on the
                end which hooks over a hook or clip etc remove this loop and stretch the spring over the hook.       Up and down
                steppers also have a clock spring on the shaft to spring the wiper back to the begining this may also need to be
                tightened up a notch or replaced.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Well thats about it let me know if ive missed anything and ill add it in but feel free to ask questions always happy to help.

The stepper used in this demo is now for sale $30 including postage all proceeds going to AP if that's to expensive  make me an offer postage will be around $10

Offline mjdoz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
If the shaft does not spin freely you will need to remove the drive plate (one or two grub screws) and pull the shaft out, clean all the old oil off and re assemble.  On the ones I have done the scaring from the grub screws had to be filed down to allow the shaft to pull back through the bearing.

One thing that is also worth checking while you have the unit apart even if the shaft spins freely is the grub screws holding the drive for the wiper plate.  If these are anything less than very tight the wiper will move on the shaft relative to the cog on the back making adjustment impossible.

When re assembling ensure there is a small amount of front to back play in the shaft so the unit does not bind.

Excellent pictures and step by step.

Michael

Bally Space INvaders SS PInball
Gottlieb Grand Slam (1972) EM Pinball

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Well done michael i was just about to add that so like he said ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Tomorrow night i think ill do a basic Score reel thread since the sheds off limits  !!!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

good stuff, Daniel !

I'll add that you can use Alcohol with the scotchbrite, and I like to smear A DROP of machine oil on my finger and smear it across the contacts.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Thanks Nino i figured i forget a few things lol

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Great thread Daniel  ^^^

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
Excellent thread Daniel. The old 0-9 unit/s are a wonder, and very reliable when cleaned and adjusted right. ......Daniel, could you take a look at my 0-9 issues on the thread 'Kings and Queens'?? If you have any further advice, please feel free to say what you reckon.