• Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Ouch !
« on: November 05, 2018, 11:42:45 PM »
Last Wednesday I was reaching into one of my various cupboards at work to grab some pin balls out of a tub and I sliced my finger on a piece of protruding spring steel. The steel I use to cut new ramp flaps. I have stored the flattened steel in this cupboard for years, with a heavy box on top so it is safe and away from causing any damage. After a massive cleanup of my work area, I moved the tub of balls into the lower shelf and I moved the heavy box on  the top shelf out for a moment. I then placed it back where it came from, but in removing the box, the sheet of steel was moved forward and over the lip of the shelf. Suddenly, as it seems, it was in prime position to cause some damage. Now that the heavy box was on top, securing the steel in position. Think of a guillotine mounted sideways - with an edge of around 2-3 cms..
So when I put my hand into the cupboard, and reached for the lower shelf were the tub of balls was, the steel sliced straight into the joint mid finger and then on a 45 degree angle, kept going until it hit the bone. I had no idea it happened - no pain. Just the warmth of the blood pissing out of my finger. I looked at my hand, covered in blood and it was like some sort of special effect that you would see in a movie. I clenched my fist, and then I could see the bones in my joint. Right. Pain. Lots of it. The only way to stop it was to straighten my hand. Sandra had the bright idea of holding under the tap and letting the water clean my hand. That hurt like hell. So we rapt it in a bandage and off to Hospital.
I waited 20 minutes before the first nurse looked at it. She asks me to clench my first. Blood everywhere again. Then the first Dr looked at it. Same deal. He took a quick photo and sent it off to the plastic surgeon. Then came the tetanus. Then intravenous antibiotics. Then off to X-Ray. All this kerfuffle ? Just stitch it up and let me go home..
About an hour later, the plastic surgeon had a look. I THOUGHT they were going to stitch me up and send me off home, but there was bad news. It needed surgery. Even though I had full movement, the X-Rays showed that the bone was hit, and any bone debris needed to be removed. Also, they had to check the tendons. No nerve damage. So I'm on a low priority list, booked in for the morning. That later changed to the afternoon, so I made a deal for them to send me home to my own bed and I would come in at 4:00Pm the next day. So they dressed the cut and made a splint so there was no movement..

So I went on my way home and went to work the next day for a 1/2 day. I can't eat after 10AM in case they need to knock me out for the surgery - but I told them that if I can get away with local, then that's what I wanted. Next day, 10AM - The Plastic Surgeon calls me - there's a cancellation so I'm off to an earlier surgery.
The prep was easy, but the local anesthetic needles hurt more than the cut ever did. I had four of them in  the hand. I was awake, but I didn't want to look. They cut the skin diagonally to the injury, and folded the skin back. No bone debris except a "line" where the steel hit. No nerve damage, but the top tendon was hit - but not bad enough to take any action. Ten stitches later I'm out of surgery and after some paperwork - I'm out of Hospital with a new dressing, more antibiotics and pain killers.

I go back late this week or early next week for a checkup. All good !
Here is the offending spring steel ;

Anyway - I consider myself lucky, as I've not been to hospital for my own injuries for 25 years. I'm surprised I have not had any other serious injury other than thinners in my eye. As the surgeon warned me - if the steel hit me 10 cms lower - across my hand, it would have done VERY serious damage.

BIG bullet missed and lesson learnt !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Ouch !
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 03:27:46 AM »
ouchies indeed

Offline goodolddays

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 08:15:21 AM »
Geez Nino ! That must have hurt a LOT . Sorry to hear about your very bad luck but as you mentioned, at least it wasnt any worse .

Hopefully a speedy recovery .

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 09:07:42 AM »
FARRK!! That could've been a whole lot worse!! Glad to know you're on the mend now Nino.

I wish i could also boast the same, no hospital visits in 25 years for injuries. Shit i've had things like eye injuries, a screwdriver through a finger, but probably the scariest was having an Addams Family playfield crash down on my fingers, trapping my hand between the p/f and cab side!!!! How my fingers didn't get busted is a complete miracle but had some nasty scars and swelling for a while.. then had to play a band gig the next night with a bandage on my hand  %.% Luckily for me i'm a good healer upperer  :lol

Anyway hope you have a speedy recovery  ^^^ ^^^
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 09:13:14 AM by Mr Pinbologist »

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 10:05:36 AM »
and the lesson is, stick to restoring EMs and early SS
DMDs will kill ya

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 11:22:50 AM »
Holy crap Nino! Very lucky for it not to be worse by the sounds of it.

Glad to hear it sounds like you will have a full recovery with no issues.

Rest up!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »
Starting to think Pinball is more dangerous that I realized!! Hope the mending is quick.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:29:56 PM »
Ohhh, now you are making me feel queasy. Hate when the doctors and nurses look at things and they open the wound again. Hope it’s healing well mate. No restorations for awhile, at least you are getting lots of parts uploaded onto your website :D

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 05:20:21 PM »
Ouch, the pain afterwards with the water and all the podding and poking would have been intense with a cut that deep. Good luck mate, hope you heal quickly and get back to what you love doing soon.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 10:15:12 PM »
Ohhh, now you are making me feel queasy. Hate when the doctors and nurses look at things and they open the wound again. Hope it’s healing well mate. No restorations for awhile, at least you are getting lots of parts uploaded onto your website :D

Can't wait to have the dressing removed. Tired of adding parts to the new site ! I can do smaller jobs, but I can't get the dressing wet.

Ouch, the pain afterwards with the water and all the podding and poking would have been intense with a cut that deep. Good luck mate, hope you heal quickly and get back to what you love doing soon.

The first time they opened it up I nearly hit the roof, because I was looking. When the Plastic surgeon looked at it, I was on the pain killers already.

I wanted to say that there are always bad stories about Hospitals, but I found the staff to be VERY good at their jobs and all I ever did was sit there and wait for things to happen in time. Others were whinging and carrying on and I could tell  the staff although well trained, would rather talk to me about Pinball than deal with impatient patients. I felt almost embarrassed as I should not be clogging up the system, but there are procedures and processes that need to be followed. Be respectful to the staff, and you get looked after. They even played tunes in Theater - Alice Cooper - How good was that !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:16:58 AM »

Can't wait to have the dressing removed. Tired of adding parts to the new site ! I can do smaller jobs, but I can't get the dressing wet.

I have had bandages on constantly since May
try bagging up both legs to take a shower

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 08:26:02 AM »
Sorry to hear about the injury Nino but really glad you are on the mend.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 10:15:25 PM »
Bit of super glue and back to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 06:22:02 AM »
Wishing you a speedy recovery.
I did a simular thing and needed plastic surgery to mend the tendon's in my thumb. Mighty painful and even now still not got full feeling back. Hope you're feeling better soon.