Author Topic: CFTBL - what's it like anyway  (Read 394 times)

Offline bigdaddy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
CFTBL - what's it like anyway
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:14:35 PM »
Anyone played a CFTBL? Is it a must for any collection? Played it on pinmame it seems to have a deep ruleset and heard it described as one of the best horror/creepy titles around. Would it be a title worth picking up?  !@#
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: CFTBL - what's it like anyway
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:25:51 PM »
Personally i love it the music the gameplay seems to tick all the boxes

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:05:27 PM »
Great pin. New age features with an old school feel. Bloody hard 2 ball multi-ball. This is one pin that takes a lot of practice to beat but if you do it is so satisfying.

SUPERRRRRRR JACKPOT!!!!!!!

Great looker, very, very cool music and great DMD animations. Hologram is a nice touch.

An all time classic Bally DMD. In fact, I rate it in the top 2 or 3 Bally DMD's.

Wish I still had mine now...

Having said this, some people don't like it. It's that sort of machine.

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:41:28 PM »
A great pinball, once you own a creature you never want to part with it. 100% keeper, and yes it has a bloody tough 2 ball multi ball...
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:09 PM »
Had a quick bash on one and could see that it would warrant some time put into playing it. The drive-in theme was interesting, and it felt like something that one would not tire of quickly.

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:04 PM »
Sounds like its one to watch out for.
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »
Creature is my favorite pin of all time and I had three at one stage and they all played different.
Cracking game with deep game play one point with Creech is that I have never come across another DMD game with a bigger gap between the flippers, can be a bit of a drain monster. But having said that when you have a really good game on it there is nothing more satisfying.
Secret to a high score is when in multi ball keep hitting the swirl ramp which leads to the bowl to rack up 4x scoring, then find the creature which you will get x4 for (40 million ) then the jackpot which will also be x4 and then the super jackpot x4. Hardest thing is to keep the 2 ball multi in play during this but like I say once you achieve this you will be hooked on this awesome game.
A real looker as well, most colourful playfield, looks great at night and if you install LED's looks even better. Try installing green #86 bulbs in the swirl ramp and bowl this makes the game look far better than the plain clear bulbs.
Like I said awesome game and a great choice, good luck in finding one and I am sure you won't be disappointed.
Darren.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:32:21 AM »
In my opinion, far and away the best looking DMD game.

Game play is top notch, perhaps a little let down by so much being hidden under the ramps, and the slightly too slow way the ball sometimes leaves the area under the ramps, but that could be adjusted I suspect. I've seen a mod to add lamps to the pop bumpers, and would definately do that if I ever buy one - really brightens up that area and makes the issue of the ramp covering so much playfield less of an issue.

Bought one for a mate to give his wife for Christmas a few years back. I had it at home for about three weeks. Frankly, I did not want to give it up! The overall integration of the theme into this game, the fun 50's music, the great looks - it really is a first class game.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 11:10:36 AM »
I own a CFTBL as do more than one of my collector mates here in Perth. Have to agree with all the accolades above; this is one fantastically cool game "Stay coooooool daddyo"! Artwork, gameplay, theme, rulesets, quotes, music and the whole package are unsurpassed IMHO.
One mod we have all done is to simply replace all the clear mini wedge lamps on the ramp with green dipped ones -really stunning! I personally would not light the bumpers because (a) it's a pain in the arse to do (b) There's tons of bling anyway (c) replacing bulbs means pulling the ramps up.
"Claws for Applause" says the flyer.
After all that - my advice is to grab it (like the chick with the huge PFD's on the Translite %$%)

FYI: PFD = personal flotation device
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2009, 12:30:44 PM »
I personally would not light the bumpers because (a) it's a pain in the arse to do (b) There's tons of bling anyway (c) replacing bulbs means pulling the ramps up.

Glad you mentioned the replacement issue - made me think - if I do buy one I might use LEDS then, so the replacement factor is just about ruled out.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline hamish_nz

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 08:15:47 AM »
great artwork, I loved it, plus great theme

Not very deep

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:50:56 PM »
I personally would not light the bumpers because (a) it's a pain in the arse to do (b) There's tons of bling anyway (c) replacing bulbs means pulling the ramps up.

Glad you mentioned the replacement issue - made me think - if I do buy one I might use LEDS then, so the replacement factor is just about ruled out.

Good thinking, now I'm seriously considering using your idea with the LEDs.
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:18:41 PM »
i like mine,love the music,have bought the green led mod,just havnt fitted yet ::) i also got some green post rubbers (keep with the theme)
awsum looking machine in the dark  *%*
ps..leds cost $180 for them all, been getn a bit of stick why i havnt fitted yet its been 4months  :lol