Author Topic: Coloured globes  (Read 3941 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: Coloured globes
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 02:01:03 PM »
Yes mate i have and come up just as good...

I think the glass paint was about $5 for a 250 ml container... can do heaps with that amount...

The magenta/purple coloured globes are the ones that i dipped into the glass paint...

not sure i should say this as I sell the coloured ones
but thats looks great

Yeah Mark i also have the coloured globes in my games but purple was never an option, so i made it one !  #@#

i am sure I have some purple ....  better check ..  I have been up since 5 am   bloody time change

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 10:33:42 PM »
had a go today. Vitrail bought from riot art 45ml $8.99

Tried the dip method but can't seem to avoid major buildup near th ebase of the globe seeing can't tap off excess paint. What do any of you guys do to avoid this. I'm now thinking maybe use blotting paper ot something.

Otherwise colours look great and you can mix you're own colours to produce various effects

I'm also considering trying cabinet art colouring using the same paint to freshen up my TZ faded cab art. Will try a small area and see what's the go. If all else fails I planned to get my hands on new decals anyway. I figure any improvement would be great in the meantime. If the test goes well, I'll attempt a full re-paint and post pix.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:36:25 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline RatBag

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 05:06:22 AM »
had a go today. Vitrail bought from riot art 45ml $8.99

Tried the dip method but can't seem to avoid major buildup near th ebase of the globe seeing can't tap off excess paint. What do any of you guys do to avoid this. I'm now thinking maybe use blotting paper ot something.

Otherwise colours look great and you can mix you're own colours to produce various effects

I'm also considering trying cabinet art colouring using the same paint to freshen up my TZ faded cab art. Will try a small area and see what's the go. If all else fails I planned to get my hands on new decals anyway. I figure any improvement would be great in the meantime. If the test goes well, I'll attempt a full re-paint and post pix.
I found when doing the globes is get some tissue paper and lightly blot the drip on the end about 5 mins after you have dipped it,I use the DALA glass paints and also use it for cab recolours.When using it make sure you have a quality flat style brush and make sure your first coat is even,usually takes about 3 coats to get a good finish.Here's a JD thats a work in progress,the first pic is of the other side as I didnt take one before I started

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 06:11:20 AM »
Sweet , Nice job with the JD . It just goes to show how much these pins side art can fade. And what a difference you have made to the decals, Top job. ^^^
On a similar subject my first ever pin that I bought, way back in 96 a Black Rose (Top Machine) I was totally unaware that the sides had faded (Newbie and all that) and when I did see another with un-faded side art I was gob smacked. I actually thought that the owner of the pin had coloured it himself. Just shows how different they can look.
Could you let me know the product that you used to create this super transformation. #*#
Cheers Darren.

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 12:20:40 PM »
Will give some credit their Gibo as it does look good.Did you do the head box as well or was the cabinet the only thing that was faded ^^^

Is this the paint to use for doing play field touch up as well.

Pity there no decals for this machine or is there. !@#

Cheers
Craig
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline RatBag

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 12:27:32 PM »
Its called DALA glass glaze,made in South Africa but seems to be in every hobby shop here
http://www.shadesofbrilliance.com.au/taxonomy_menu/19/45

No didnt do the backbox only the cab and no this stuff will not do playfields you need acrylics for that
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:43:55 PM by RatBag »

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 01:46:25 PM »
nice one ratbag, I saw this work awhile ago that inspired me to consider doing it myself. Now I have the paint, I'll give it a test run. Thanks for the tip on the brush as I figured any old brush would do. What kind of width brushes did you use and in person are th ebrush strokes quite noticeable or not. Photos can hide a lot of things

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 10:48:51 PM »

nice job on the JD

mark

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 10:53:59 PM »

That paint job on the JD looks awesome - Must have taken a few hours ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline RatBag

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2009, 02:56:14 AM »
As far as brush strokes being seen if your 30cm away yes you can see them but stand a metre away and no you cant see them but like I said your first coat is the important one if this is not even in colour and you get build up in spots its to hard to keep it consistent with the next coats thats why I found using a flat brush helped this alot ,as far as width for the large areas I use a 10mm wide one and for smaller jobs 2mm one
Havent really worked out hours on this one as I use it for a stress relief when other projects piss me off

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 04:20:01 PM »
As far as brush strokes being seen if your 30cm away yes you can see them but stand a metre away and no you cant see them but like I said your first coat is the important one if this is not even in colour and you get build up in spots its to hard to keep it consistent with the next coats thats why I found using a flat brush helped this alot ,as far as width for the large areas I use a 10mm wide one and for smaller jobs 2mm one
Havent really worked out hours on this one as I use it for a stress relief when other projects piss me off
Another question if I may? If you make a mistake or are not happy with a section/brush stroke etc, is simply wiping off an option? If so is turps the best bet or just a dry rag?

Offline RatBag

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
Another question if I may? If you make a mistake or are not happy with a section/brush stroke etc, is simply wiping off an option? If so is turps the best bet or just a dry rag?

I have found a wet rag is the go as its water based paint