Author Topic: Buyer be ware  (Read 673 times)

Offline punter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • illawarra
Buyer be ware
« on: June 12, 2009, 06:43:32 PM »
If any members are looking at buying the EM, High Hand just listed on ebay,you need to ask for close up photos of the playfield areas.Brother in law was shopping round for an em machine and came accross this machine.Playfield was in poor condition and was advised it would be as new when resto was finished.I have seen close ups of the finished product and there are still issues around pop bumper and the jack and queen of clubs,also the ace and king of hearts in the lower playfield areas.Says it is like brand new,well that would make my machines mint.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: Buyer be ware
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 06:46:28 PM »
How does that not surprise me from that clown  #@#

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »

Gotta love the Bally post caps !

The head looks like it was repainted in two different shades of red - but that could be the camera. No pictures of the front door ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:30:44 PM »
maybe its cause I am infactuated with wedgeheads at the moment, but I would love to own that pin
 *%*

Offline faza

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »
Photos look pretty bloody good?

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »
Im looking closely at the pictures... from what i see is some amature touch ups. Looks like someone has decided that the colour of the cards is white and black and white and red. There is no such colour as white on a PF - they are all shades of yellow, blue etc. Its difficult to see but going on the first post you can see the areas of interest.
 The naturally yellowed colour of the PF has white touch ups on it. Try to see the bottom left corner of the jack of clubs where it joins the queen. Where the ace and king of hearts joins, its the same issue.
The rest looks tidy enough fom the pics, but it does have some poor restoration work on it

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:53:26 PM »
Looks like something is wrong with the main maroon colour in the area above the flipper between the slings.

Offline Rod71

• Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra NSW
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 01:44:44 AM »
Looks like something is wrong with the main maroon colour in the area above the flipper between the slings.

Hard to say. From pics on ipdb the inlanes are a slightly brighter shade of red than the area between the slings, which is consistent with the eBay machine.

However, the stark white touch ups around the cards should be obvious to anyone serious about purchasing the machine.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 11:51:16 AM »

I think it is a good amateur restore but a poor professional restore. It is short of 100% genuine.

There is the issue that this is a "business" selling the machine - so they would have to allocate a pre defined number of hours, otherwise there would be no profit margin. My opinion would be that they were better off selling it as a project machine - in other words - don't bother with a resto job.

What concerns me is that the term "shopped" when referring to pinballs is such a grey area. Looks like "restored" is also heading down that track !

If the descriptions were more accurate and honest - I would not be concerned.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:54:18 PM »
It is 100% Genuine & is like brand new  :lol :lol

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 02:02:10 PM »
yes the desc is dodgy, but this is not an over-the-top price for a dealer, for that title

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 04:07:45 PM »
I have seen this game...

Besides the touch up on the cards, as Gavin pointed out, which can be seen if you look closely and minor touch ups on the inner border of the slingshots, this game has a full mylar, i believe with the exception of the 2 outlanes...  ( IIRC)

People who know me and know my machines will tell you i am quite pedantic with what i have and i must say, putting the 2 wear spots aside as i put it down to nostalgia, i actually considered it myself.

Backglass is full of colour and the cabinet is in great shape.

So i believe what you guys are seeing is camera blur/flash whatever you wish to call it...

Personally I NEVER go off ebay pics simply because they can be deceiving both ways, for the good and the bad...

Go and have a look yourself instead of speculating and it will definitely put the doubt out of your mind...

PEOPLE ALWAYS CHOOSE TO PICK OUT THE NEGATIVE RATHER THAN THE POSITIVE when i believe it should be the other way around regardless of prior dealings or thoughts of the guy or company selling the particular product.

Just wanted to clear things up !
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »

PEOPLE ALWAYS CHOOSE TO PICK OUT THE NEGATIVE RATHER THAN THE POSITIVE when i believe it should be the other way around regardless of prior dealings or thoughts of the guy or company selling the particular product.

This is true - But I think the original poster has seen the game as well (or someone saw it on his behalf) - So really it is just a difference of opinion.

I don't mind the look of the machine, but if the seller is willing to claim the machine is -

"It is 100% Genuine & is like brand new."

Then they must be willing to accept that perfectionists, purists and experienced EM pinheads will be looking for aspects of the machine that contradict the claims on the Auction.

I have only even seen a handful of machines that can ever be claimed to be "100% Genuine & is like brand new". Within a second of looking at the machine, the claim is inaccurate. For the same cost and a little more effort, original Acorn Post caps could have been installed - not Bally SS post caps. They are non genuine.

From the pictures - "This machine is very neat & tidy" is 100% accurate, but the assertion that the machine is "100% Genuine & is like brand new" is simply not true.

With some extra work (see above) - this machine would be a great game to have in the collection at that price.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 07:33:24 PM »
I totally agree with you Nino, each person has their own opinion, however do we really need to go about things the way we do ?

Lets get one thing straight, this is not to defend the seller in any way shape or form, these are my thoughts and opinions.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:38:21 PM by Pinfan »
Some people have big HEADS !