Author Topic: Sydney Sucks for pins!!  (Read 643 times)

pinballist

• Trade Count: (0)
Sydney Sucks for pins!!
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:16:59 PM »
What can I say, I went out with a couple of mates yesterday to see Star Trek at the IMAX in Darling Harbour.  Got there early so to kill a bit of time we went to the Darling Harbour bowling lanes.  So we walk in and head straight for the coin op arcade and what do I see, wall to wall prize crane (claw) cabinets, a shit-load of shooting games and one solitary pinball (Pirates Of The Caribbean) switched off and out of order!

Darling Harbour is one of the prime tourist spots in Sydney City and the best they could do, was one busted pinnie - WTF is it with that?  ^.^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Sydney Sucks for pins!!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:20:55 PM »

It is similar in Melbourne.

I'd rather takes my mates to Childs to play pins - at least they are working and there is a large selection to play  ^^^

It is sad, but the pins are just not out on location anymore. The ones that are out there, are broken.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:22:24 PM »
What can I say, I went out with a couple of mates yesterday to see Star Trek at the IMAX in Darling Harbour.  Got there early so to kill a bit of time we went to the Darling Harbour bowling lanes.  So we walk in and head straight for the coin op arcade and what do I see, wall to wall prize crane (claw) cabinets, a shit-load of shooting games and one solitary pinball (Pirates Of The Caribbean) switched off and out of order!

Darling Harbour is one of the prime tourist spots in Sydney City and the best they could do, was one busted pinnie - WTF is it with that?  ^.^

Where abouts in Sydney are you

mark

pinballist

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:37:11 PM »
I'm in Liverpool, admittedly I don't really go out much (running a business & raising a family tends to stifle the social life - that's why we buy pinnies for home ;)

I'll tell ya what blew me away though; I was in the US in April earlier this year and every airport we stopped at had not one, but several arcades with nice new well maintained pinnies in them.  The last pinnie I played in Australia before that was Theatre Of Magic at Tullamarine domestic terminal and the machine was in poor condition.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 04:42:56 PM »
Most of the sited pins I have seen here in Australia (airport, pubs, tenpin bowling centres) have been pretty dirty but the odd one or two have been in decent nick.

Knowing that I will be able to play for free somewhere has made me more reluctant to put coin into a sited machine, though, especially when you can't be sure it is working 100%.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:00:04 PM »
In geelong there are very few machines that i know about timezone may have 1 or 2 if your lucky but The chicken shop on sepperation street always has one and its always changing apart from them i never see any

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 07:02:02 PM »
In geelong there are very few machines that i know about timezone may have 1 or 2 if your lucky but The chicken shop on sepperation street always has one and its always changing apart from them i never see any
Daniel, when you run out of room in your Man Shed, you will have to start site-ing some  *%*
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
Its the sign of the times i'm afraid.
Likewise here in the U.K. It seem that pins don't take the money that bandits and those crane things do. You are lucky if you do find one and if its in working condition. The only pins that we seem to find in the U.K. on site are the new Stearn's but those are few and far between.
I thought that you guy's in Oz had a load more pins on site than us back here but it sounds like its going the same way.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »

My mate Ando supplies those games, and a few mainly coastal ones.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 10:01:31 PM »
Well tell Ando he does a great job of mixing it up in there has had heaps of good title in there its Flintstones at the moment

Offline PeterW

• Forum Posts:
  • Sutherland Shire
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 10:19:50 PM »
It's been a few months since I've been there but Melbourne Airport has quite a few pins and most are in good working order. There are a number of Stern TSPP and some late Williams pins. The only complaint I had was that they were $2.00 for a 3-ball game.  ^.^
Gottlieb Fastdraw - Stern Magic

Offline furballx

• Forum Posts:
  • Seven Hills (Sydney)
    • My other hobby
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »
There are a few pins at the bowling centre in Lpool.  Condition varied when I was there last.
Dave
Do, or do not.  There is no try.

pinballist

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:23:50 AM »
Thanks Dave, I'll have to take the kids 10 pin bowling then ;)

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 10:59:33 PM »

I am off to Sydney next week to help a guy out who has 35 pins , maybe I can talk him into having a meet ...
very nice all top end pins too

mark

pinballist

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 12:09:26 AM »
Mark, that sounds like a great plan :)