Author Topic: Machine-Specific tips'n'tricks threads????  (Read 1950 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Machine-Specific tips'n'tricks threads????
« on: June 17, 2009, 11:06:01 PM »
This may help clean up the 'general' thread, if admin created game-specific threads in their own area called "Game Specific" or similar?
Then, the child threads in that group would be simply named by machine title, such as :

"Medieval Madness"
"Monster Bash"
"Last Action Hero"
"Elvira - Scared Stiff"

etc etc....

Then, the users could enter their info, tips and findings into the relevant game-specific thread.
This would make things VERY easy in future when you're trying to lookup info about a particular pin, and don't want to spend a month trawling thru the general threads....

Perhaps this will also reduce the amount of repeated questions, when people keep asking "i have a problem with my Elvira flipper....yadda yadda yadda....." which may have been answered 5 times already in the past year.

thoughts?
MM.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Machine-Specific tips'n'tricks threads????
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:27:13 PM »

I like it Marty - Under a Heading "Game Specific", include a post with just the "Game Name", and then members just add tech tips etc ?

Like this

Game Specific

MM (Post)
SS(Post)

etc..etc..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
Yep, exactly, i just reckon it'll clean up the overall message-base, and make the forum glide smoother, especially newbies looking for info...

Now with a vastly growing memberlist, things are gonna start getting pretty busy/cluttered in the "general" thread.

Well, that's how i'd run my forum, just my 2cents though, upto Admin ;-)
MM.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 11:36:39 PM »
There will always be cross over - an issue affecting a WPC game will be just as useful to know for another game, if it is board related, or even system stuff like optos.. But I think people will get more benefit when browsing by having game specific threads like Marty suggests, and the experts here can direct people to similar issues on same-system games.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:43:19 PM »

I guess as long as the search function does it s job - members will find what they are looking for.

However - This area would be used for "tips, info and findings" - not faults and problems - That should stay in the existing area.

Maybe would could add items such as "shopout guides" to this new, machine specific area ?

Thoughts ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 12:07:41 AM »
So we'd have a section called Game Specific, and then members can start subsections for particular games, and others can start new threads within that subsection - or would Mods need to create a basic starting list of games as sub-topics, and add more as members ask?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Marty Machine

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:19:05 AM »
I think "Game Specific" would be EXACTLY that, SPECIFIC to the game, such as a particular fault/mod to a game that probably isnt on all other games - spinning motors, magnacoil, certain plastics etc.
Keeping a log of Rom versions & info would go in 'game specific' for example.

Perhaps the very First 'sticky' post (by admin as they create a new thread title) would be a brief tech-overview of the game info/features (a condensed copy/paste form the ipdb info or something).

Something like:

########################################
GameTitle
Year: 1988
Latest Rom(s): L1-v1.02, L2=v1.00, Sound=V3.01
other: ??

Generic WPC boards, P.Supplies etc etc would still go into their tech areas etc.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 12:08:05 PM »
i wonder what made Marty pick 1988 as the year?
do the words "challange me" have any thing to do with it?

I think "Game Specific" would be EXACTLY that, SPECIFIC to the game, such as a particular fault/mod to a game that probably isnt on all other games - spinning motors, magnacoil, certain plastics etc.
Keeping a log of Rom versions & info would go in 'game specific' for example.

Perhaps the very First 'sticky' post (by admin as they create a new thread title) would be a brief tech-overview of the game info/features (a condensed copy/paste form the ipdb info or something).

Something like:

GameTitle
Year: 1988
Latest Rom(s): L1-v1.02, L2=v1.00, Sound=V3.01
other: ??

Generic WPC boards, P.Supplies etc etc would still go into their tech areas etc.
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Marty Machine

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »
eerrrr, what??

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Marty Machine

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 03:18:33 PM »
Actually, i typed 1988 coz it was from Time Machine that i have ;-)