Author Topic: Grab a good EM Cheap Qlders  (Read 1468 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland NSW
  • There's no law against having fun, just yet!
Re: Grab a good EM Cheap Qlders
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2009, 09:36:28 PM »
That's good alright!

See the pics in case you have not already from IPD website

He's right about that post!

You should be really pleased with this! Lot's of fun ahead

J.D.
There is no law against having fun just yet (but I am sure they are busy are drafting one!)

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2009, 09:57:27 PM »
Yeah
its going to be a challenge for me.
Not sure how I should approach it?
At present does not play, but have not looked into it to far.
The playfield and all parts are really dirty and theres heaps of crud everywhere.
There are 8 relays that have really toasted looking coils.
The cabinet looks better in photos than to the naked eye, I originally hoped to keep cabinet original but not sure if I could live with it, if I restored everything else.
Do I go the minimal approach and get it working or go the whole hog and strip it bare? !@#

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:51 PM »
Yeah

At present does not play, but have not looked into it to far.
The playfield and all parts are really dirty and theres heaps of crud everywhere.
There are 8 relays that have really toasted looking coils.

Ebay description: Beautiful old pin ball machine up for grabs

Gottlieb's "Quick Draw"

Collectable - crica 1970's

In working order.

So sold not as described?

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2009, 10:06:32 PM »
Id get it going first dave.  Here are  a few threads to help you on your journey to getting it going.  
First Check that the fuses are the correct values and not blown
Check each coil with a Multi meter to check they are not Dead?  (Ask if not sure)
Visually check for any badly bent relay switches or anything that looks out of place
Manually put credits on the game in the backbox
Turn it on and push start (Be ready to pull the plug if something locks on)

Then if the game scores dont reset to zero check this link on how to fix the score reels  http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1710.0

If the scores all reset to zero and the game score motor is still running (INSIDE THE BOTTOM OF THE CABINET)
 Check your stepper units as in this thread      http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1707.0

And keep us posted and ask as many questions until your ready to have a go at it

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2009, 10:27:39 PM »
Yeah EB,
Not working as described, I dont have a schematic for it but as I said have not tried too hard to get it going as I would not want to have the ball running around in its present state, black rubber crud everywhere. A few of the toasted coils have broken plastic formers, I guess they probably still operate but dont inspire confidence.
I might try to give it a basic clean and follow DD's links to getting it fired up first. Have a lot going on at present so cannot devote the time I would like. Will chip away at it. When I did power it up it appeared the big stepper motor in bottom of cabinet was energised but not moving (buzzing away), when it did move it seemed to be struggling.
The coils that have been toasted are BX, O, R, H, Q, U, L, M.
Cheers
Dave

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2009, 09:44:15 PM »
Hi all

Small update.....

First off big thanks to DDSTOYS who is sending me a drop target to replace 1 that broken. ^^^
Have got machine running at about 90%, had to replace a couple of coils, adjust some contacts, score motor was running really slow and erratic, it came good after a good clean. Gave a quick clean to score reels and found 1 which had shorted across tracks, looked pretty ordinary, cleaned it up but could not get rid of all the carbon, suprised that it works ok. I will start a new thread in Restorations soon.

Cheers
Dave

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2009, 10:52:44 PM »
Oh great stuff!!

You can always get an EM running - theres nothing to blow on you! - no CPU, no clock, no IC's, you can work on them live and not short anything without having time to take a step back.

In years to come the SS machines will have the boards replaced with a single chip, unless you are willing to pay $500+ for a PIA that is.

EMs??? Well they will still be as EMs.

40 years from now... which machines will still be original and working?

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »
+1 Gav.
Ya gotta love those EM's.  $#$
Steve.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2009, 03:41:07 PM »
Hey Dave
               I got your target in the mail today

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2009, 05:26:35 PM »
So did anyone here get the Jacks Open .

I put in an offer of $1000 and seller replied with a counter-offer of $1250 . Probably would've bought it for that but by the time I got home from work and seen the counter offer it had already been sold . There were 3 people who made offers on the pin so I'm guessing he sent the same offer of $1250 to all 3 .

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2009, 06:49:37 PM »
Scott it looked a nice pin, is a good game, its a shame you missed-out. Others will come-up though, and closer.
 *%*

Offline deadlydave

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2009, 10:41:08 PM »
PM'd DD, most appreciated.

Full restore is going on the backburner...Got the machine running close to 100% now!
Played with my daughter for a few hours tonight and we had a ball.
She has played on computer before but is hooked on the real deal!
Its made me re-consider my plans, I'm going to seal the backglass, replace all the globes, rubbers, flippers, and clean and wax for starters. Then chip away at everything while keeping machine in play. I think I will end up with another pinnie down the track so I can take one out of service for a full restore, at the moment having too much fun playing .

Cheers
Dave

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2009, 10:43:23 PM »
I think I will end up with another pinnie down the track so I can take one out of service for a full restore, at the moment having too much fun playing .

top stuff!

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2009, 11:33:59 PM »
Its made me re-consider my plans, I'm going to seal the backglass, replace all the globes, rubbers, flippers, and clean and wax for starters. Then chip away at everything while keeping machine in play. I think I will end up with another pinnie down the track so I can take one out of service for a full restore, at the moment having too much fun playing .

Cheers
Dave

Yes, that's why I bought two machines straight up. Has proven to be a good strategy because if one is down and you can't be bothered fixing it straight away, your high score on the other machine goes up.