Author Topic: TOTAN- Great - but balls stick EVERYWHERE  (Read 606 times)

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
TOTAN- Great - but balls stick EVERYWHERE
« on: June 21, 2009, 05:04:20 PM »
Hey all,

Any TOTAN owners that might be able to shed some light on this?
Great game , the final Genie battle is very cool and getting there is a LOAD of fun.......but.......

I have NEVER owned a game where balls get stuck or simply 'come to rest' in SO MANY PLACES.
Take a look at this image and I have indicated with arrows where it can happen - and it tends to happen a lot.

The diverter on the swirl ramp ( cream arrow with 2 strike lines across it ) is the worst spot, a weak shot will see the ball go just past there and then come back to get jammed between the closing diverter and the ramp wall, so you wait for a ball search and then the ball search doesnt hold the divertoer open long enough and it rolls a centimtre and gets jammed again, rinse repaeat 5 0r 6 times while shaking the sh*t out of the game and you might get the ball out.

Theres another spot up the back ( green double arrows ) 'somewhere' and you just cant find the bloody thing.
Again - shake shale shake - and it comes out the Bazaar.

Then - theres all the other places  ^&^

Any other TOTAN owners with these issues?

It appears more of a design fault ? - than an individual game fault.
I have this on the same angle as all my other games - which is a fairly standard setting - I have raised it to create a bigger slope- same deal !@#

ANY ideas would be appreciated as I am tiring of playing this with the glass off  :lol

DW Drums rule !

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: TOTAN- Great - but balls stick EVERYWHERE
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
Yeah, they are noisy with the glass off, but the high scores are usually better.

I would be surprised if it was design faults with the game itself as it is too highly regarded.

Hopefully the TOTAN owners can shed some light on this - maybe just some tweaks needed with the hardware in the points indicated.

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 08:22:29 PM »
Hey Wotto,

I don't own one but have played many TOTANs...Also i know where there is one readily available to play at anytime..... <.> great player with great sound....

Anyway....I personally have never had a ball stuck anywhere... and i have played some serious gametime on it....

Might sound silly but it looks to me to be too much of a co-incidence...

Is it set to the right level/pitch ???

just asking...  !@#  !^! !^!
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Pinmem

• Forum Posts:
  • Caroline Springs, Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 08:36:39 PM »
I must say I have never has the ball stuck anywhere in the positions you have mention . If the ramps are secured it should not give you this problem. The gameplay has enough speed where you may make it through the ramps easy and if you don't have enough speed behind the ball then there are  opening's in various locations throught the ramp for the ball to fall through on to the playfeild so you may continue playing.

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
sounds like its just your luck mate....better bring it over my place and I will swap you for the Firepower...Im sure it would play better set up in my garage mate...
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Forum Posts:
  • Yass
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 09:50:34 PM »
just sounds like another excuse to explain away yet another ball search mode from lack of hitting any targets  *)*

Offline ROLLERBALL

• Forum Posts:
  • HEATHCOTE sydney
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
YEAH...love it...thats a great one Rob....LOL...too true
NeRdS   N E R D S

NERDS nerds NErdS

Nerds NERds and P NUTZ

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:20:08 PM »
10 points to rob lol....     But ive played 70s pinballs with spinners in the playfield without issues so im sure they had them sorted when they Built TOTAN there must be some adjustment to stop balls getting stuck????   Good luck wotto ive seen you build a cabinet from scratch so beating these issues wont be a problem for you

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 10:56:14 PM »

I think the spinner height can be adjusted.

The rest of the issues could simply be that the playfield angle needs to be adjusted ? Raise the back leg levellers mate - See how we go.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Replicas

• Forum Posts:
  • North West England
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 06:29:04 AM »
Wotto
I had a issue with a couple of places where the ball got stuck on my TOTAN.
#1 Top of the ramp (behind the genie) If you didn't get a solid contact on the ball once hit from the flippers it came to rest where the two ramps join (behind the genie) I had to manipulate the ramp slightly so that it sloped towards the genie and if the ball came to rest there the slope let the ball fall behind the genie through the gap in the ramp.
#2 Pop bumper area, the top left pop bumper sometimes caught the ball between itself and the guide rail and no amount of tilting removed it. I ended up making the pop bumper extra sensitive so if it did rest there again a slight thump on the side of the machine set off the pop bumper releasing the ball. I know other owners who have put a post there to stop the entrapment of a ball.
Those are the only two areas that have been any trouble to me. Alas I don't have the TOTAN any more but since letting her go I found out that the ramps where prone to slight warping thus causing the problem and if you are having more than one area that traps the ball on the ramps maybe a new ramp might solve the problem.
Darren.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 12:23:23 PM »
just sounds like another excuse to explain away yet another ball search mode from lack of hitting any targets  *)*

You guys are mean, poor Wotto, he's gonna regret ever speaking up about that one  :lol  :lol

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 01:05:04 PM »
Yes - ......yes I am  !@)
DW Drums rule !

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 07:20:22 PM »
mate, the only place mine hangs up is on the entrance to the ramp as the rivit that goes thru metal and plastic is broken and sits up

hopefully mark c might have a new ramp for me?? ^^^

williams 50th year annivesary machine.....nice!