Aussie Pinball Forums > Bally / Williams

Williams Battery MOD

(1/2) > >>

mrwolfau:
Hey Guys,

i am currently in the process of restoring a Williams Whirlwind.

I have noticed that the battery holder has been removed and it has two wires soldered to the board which go no where.

What do you guys recommend as a replacement, should i put back the holder or go for an external type to completely remove from the board?

Thanks
Matt

Pop Bumper Pete:
External,  just make sure of polarity

Strangeways:
NVRAM all the way. I don't install batteries in machines unless the NVRAM option is unavailable. Depending on the revision of your board, you may not have a socketed RAM chip, so external battery pack may be the way to go. You can use the standard board mounted battery pack, as long as you change the batteries every 12 months.

Slash:
I used NVRAM for mine, although the RAM on mine was soldered to the board which meant a little more work.  I had to desolder that first and then solder on an IC socket to attach the NVRAM.  Whoever you purchase your NVRAM from will usually include an IC socket with the purchase once they know what sort of game it's for.

I'll find out when I finally boot the game up if I did a good soldering job or whether I damaged any tracks etc hahaha

mrwolfau:
thanks for the suggestions guys. looks like i will see how i go with the NVRAM option if i can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version