Author Topic: Should I Feel Let Down or a Sense of Accomplishment?  (Read 17755 times)

Offline Toads

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
Re: Should I Feel Let Down or a Sense of Accomplishment?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2020, 02:42:03 PM »
Some great posts here.
I've had some ups and downs in the hobby.
I've had months where I just played the crap out of pins, that just one more game feeling.
Other times I haven't gone near them for ages.
I'm going through a bad time ATM with some bad medical issues and have lost the feel of playing.
My partner who is also a pinhead try's to get me playing again but ATM I'm not feeling it, as she throws her high scores on my pins lol.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2020, 03:24:03 PM »
Sorry to hear Toads hope you get it sorted and get you mojo back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2020, 05:40:15 PM »
Some great posts here.
I've had months where I just played the crap out of pins, that just one more game feeling.
I'm going through a bad time ATM with some bad medical issues and have lost the feel of playing.
My partner who is also a pinhead try's to get me playing again but ATM I'm not feeling it, as she throws her high scores on my pins lol.

All the best, hope things resolve, and maybe all those high scores will get you back there! Nothing I love/hate more pin-wise than someone high scoring one of my games!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 06:01:39 AM »
Tide comes in, tide goes out Toads. it'll be your tide again soon. I've got a new mate that won comp the last two times. very good player and very competitive, he's putting all the high scores on my pins now, ones 3 times higher than i can reach.

I've lost my competitive edge at stuff over the years, slowly improving slightly in technique but my scores aren't improving as i loose concentration quicker and quicker.

Loving AFM
Looking for Bally Space Invaders, Stern Orbitor 1

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 11:54:43 AM »
Some great posts here.

Sorry to hear mate. Hopefully soon you get through it all and get back on top.
I had a year or two where I definitely was not feeling the love, but eventually things seem to work out.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 04:50:37 PM »
Some great posts here.

There's no time limit on when your mojo will return, and it will return. Always concentrate on heath matters first - the machines will be waiting for you when you are good and ready.

Generally speaking, I've seem many friends grow tired of their collection or love of the machines. People change over time, and there are a host of reasons why they do what they do. What has happened in every singe case - all of them - the mojo eventually returns. I've seen LARGE collections moved on for peanuts... Then years later, the thrill of the chase returns. The Addams Family sold for $6K 10 years ago is now available again for the bargain price of $16K..Dammit. My situation is privileged - I'm around them all day, every day. "Pinball" NEVER changes for me, they are literally "in my blood" - But "people" change constantly.

Collection wise - As long as there's room, and the thrill of the chase is still there, the hobby will always be fun. Maybe when the games room is full, satisfaction of filling it may be enough. Maybe there is some disappointment, as there is no more chasing. I don't actively chase games anymore, I wait for them to find me. But whenever I find one, the excitement returns.

One thing that hit me in the face was losing two great friends - Greg and Gavin. They both worked hard and had incredible collections. They cannot enjoy the games any longer, and it disappoints me greatly. They were both heavily invested (money and time) in their collections. Enjoy yours while you can. That's what they are there for.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 05:20:15 AM »
You absolutely nailed what i was trying to get at in the original post, so thank you. At least i know now that when they find me i'll still have that feeling, even though i'm not actively looking for the next one now.

Collection wise - As long as there's room, and the thrill of the chase is still there, the hobby will always be fun. Maybe when the games room is full, satisfaction of filling it may be enough. Maybe there is some disappointment, as there is no more chasing. I don't actively chase games anymore, I wait for them to find me. But whenever I find one, the excitement returns.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »
You absolutely nailed what i was trying to get at in the original post, so thank you. At least i know now that when they find me i'll still have that feeling, even though i'm not actively looking for the next one now.

Sometimes ever throwing out a list of games you really want can yield results. When a grail pin suddenly appears locally that you didn't know about, the excitement starts to build all over again. I've never "not found" a game I really want with the exception of Williams Solar Fire and Gottlieb's Q-Bert quest. I'm still open to Hayburners, Olympic Hockey, Super Score, Planets.. I'll bet I get a PM or two in the next couple of days - "There's an Olympic Hockey for sale closeby.."
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 05:26:56 AM »
That's where i'm at now. When i got back from pinfest last week i put a wanted up for attack from Mars and had bought it by the next day. Still see things i want now and then, in negotiation atm.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 01:33:08 PM »
as to your original question, I think you have a great collection
it is not just NIB of the latest limited editions
not is it pinballs greatest hits collection
but a little something from all over the electronic era

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 07:20:08 AM »
Thanks Pete, i started out trying to get the weird and wonderful and one of every manufacturer. Soon found that wasn't for me and now concentrating on Bally/Williams and modern machines.

Certainly not going for 'a' list titles and have no interest in owning adams, fishtales, Twilight etc just to say i have them.

All the machines i have that i don't just love playing are now on the block for swaps for machines that i might just love playing.

Current collection in the photos below, plus i have a Stern Black Night Sword of Rage here on loan. Gunna keep an eye out for one of those in a premium/le as i think it's an underated, fun game and my mate won't sell me his.

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2020, 10:51:51 AM »
Bet you can't guess which machine i'm waiting on next?

ps, wonder if a mod could change my title, i'm no pinball expert, love to be a 'Freeballer'.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
I like the unusual or original themed games.
This is why I love my WNBJM and hopefully get the same stoke from CELTS!
I must confess though, that Gilligan's Island is my guilty pleasure as far as themes go and people that know me well understand my true passion for this game. NEVER going to leave . EVER
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline wesleyrpg

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • VIC
  • WANTED: Star Trek:The Next Generation in Melbourne
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2020, 05:53:39 PM »
you have a Gun's N Roses LE? how does it play? does it look as good as the promotional videos?
Looking for a Star Trek:The Next Generation For Sale in Melbourne!

Offline punkin

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Woolgoolga NSW
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2020, 06:20:23 AM »
Got one on order mate. I'm busting to see how it looks and plays, but the first container is on the water now.