Author Topic: Damn crazy prices....  (Read 615 times)

Offline ajlaird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
Re: Damn crazy prices....
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »
Yeah, good points there. There have also been a number of cases where large corporations have been able to force transfer of related domain names away from existing holders to themselves. Domain name speculation does not always pay.

Offline Mango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
It doesn't matter anyway as the laws are set up to protect intellectual property (which the name Michael Jackson would be) as you cannot profiteer off another identities name without consent from the Family Estate.

I dont have much of a legal background but wouldnt it depend on intent and usage?

What I mean by that is if my name was Michael Jackson (not a unique name) and I bought that domain to relate stories about 'the last time' I got drunk etc. then what could be done?

As for the cafe you mention, would there have been a different ruling if the owners name was Frank Bradman? Can they stop someone using their family name on a business just because of a similarity or being the same as someone famous?

A little off topic I know but I would love to know the answers :)

pinballist

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 11:43:45 AM »
I was thinking the same thing Mango, how can someone stop you using your own legal name for your business or website domain name? Surely that infringes some personal liberties?

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 02:21:20 PM »
if you look in the offers one person offered him     US $6,200,000.00 and he let it expire
http://offer.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=200360501283
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)