Author Topic: When to install a flipper kit?  (Read 3020 times)

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
When to install a flipper kit?
« on: October 26, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »
OK, I'm gladly going through the clean up of my LAH (I hope this is the right abbreviation!)...Now my question is, when should you install a flipper kit?  The flippers work (only tested in test mode), but I don't know how powerful they are.  The bats need be replaced mismatch and old but I've looked underneath and the setup looks good.  One of the coils has lost the paper that goes around it, but other than that they look clean (compared to rest of old coils etc).  There is a clearance of about 3-4mm or so from the playfield.  I've manually moved the bats and they feel fine and firm.

I don't want to cut corners, but I don't want to spend dollars on areas I don't need to either.

Also do I need to get genuine DE flippers or will the generic ones be fine?

Also, I'm missing the end bit off the ripper.  - It is a coil assembly which shoots the ball out - almost identical to the auto-plunger type.  Can the rubber ends be replaced onto the coil shaft & what is their correct term?

Thanks in advance

Marty

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: When to install a flipper kit?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 09:04:31 PM »

Have you got a manual for your machine Marty ?

Here is where you will find it ;

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=last+action+hero&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1416

Here's some light reading for ya -

http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index.htm

You should be able to find the part numbers in the manual.

When should you install a flipper kit ? - If the flippers are strong and you can make ramp shots - you can leave them "as-is".. DE Flipper kits are expensive, but you can buy plunger & Link / Coil stops.. Check the EOS as well... Some of the route operators did some weird stuff to keep these games going !

Owen has a great guide on DE Power Supplies in the Tech section.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 09:40:57 PM »

Have you got a manual for your machine Marty ?

Here is where you will find it ;

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=last+action+hero&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#1416

Here's some light reading for ya -

http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index.htm

You should be able to find the part numbers in the manual.

When should you install a flipper kit ? - If the flippers are strong and you can make ramp shots - you can leave them "as-is".. DE Flipper kits are expensive, but you can buy plunger & Link / Coil stops.. Check the EOS as well... Some of the route operators did some weird stuff to keep these games going !

Owen has a great guide on DE Power Supplies in the Tech section.

Thanks again!  OK I've found the part I'm looking for (# 545-5105-00) which is also called a 'grommit'.

From having another look at the flipper set, it does not look or feel (by hand) to be trashed but I wont know for sure until I fire it up, but I can't do that until rubbers arrive.  Do I need original DE flippers (as these seem non existent) or can the generics work?

I also need to mylar a section of the PF (where the gold ticket thing is) as they wear lots and I dont want it trashed.  Now I know 'mylar' is a brand, I have some left over from my T2.  It was 'Metamark' digitalvinyl.  I'm not planning on doing the whole PF, just a square on this area down to arnies chest as there is some wear (not through paint yet!)....Is this metamark stuff OK to use?

Thanks again.!

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 10:06:03 PM »
Generic flipper bats will be fine on the LAH, and generally any pinball for that matter.

Never used the Metamark product myself, so I can't comment on that.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 10:22:19 PM »
hi marty

get a parts list you need and email it to me or check my site

we replace all flipper kits on full rebuild

mark

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 08:51:30 AM »
When I buy a pin I always install new (coil sleeves, coil stops, bushings, and flipper arms)  I''l check the leaf switch (if applicable)  I also check and make sure the correct coils are installed (dont assume they are)  If you properly rebuild flippers in a huo situation they should last a very long time.  You'll feel the difference when you play it after rebuilding it.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
When I buy a pin I always install new (coil sleeves, coil stops, bushings, and flipper arms)  I''l check the leaf switch (if applicable)  I also check and make sure the correct coils are installed (dont assume they are)  If you properly rebuild flippers in a huo situation they should last a very long time.  You'll feel the difference when you play it after rebuilding it.

Exactly what I do when I buy a game or restore someone else's game.. Unfortunately, DE kits are expensive. But I installed them in my JP and they made a HUGE difference.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 11:52:47 AM »
I will take your advise in relation to this and put a whole kit in inc coils....I have not done one before but I'l take my time and read up on the above sites for tips!

I've asked Mark for a price so will wait and see.  If I can offload the F14 plastics I bought and no longer need that will offset the price a bit...

Offline Chuck

• Forum Posts:
  • Usa
    • Big Guys Pinball
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 12:38:10 PM »
I will take your advise in relation to this and put a whole kit in inc coils....I have not done one before but I'l take my time and read up on the above sites for tips!

I've asked Mark for a price so will wait and see.  If I can offload the F14 plastics I bought and no longer need that will offset the price a bit...

You almost never need to replace coils.  Coils rarely fail actually.  Only three reasons to replace them

1) Someone put the wrong coil in.
2) If the coil sleeve won't come out without lots of brute force.  usually means the coil overheated and the center of the coil would be warped (which you can usually see if you look through it)
3) Coil just doesn't work.

Other than that keep the old coils =)

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 01:40:31 PM »
They look different to each other and different to the rest in the machine.  The majority are "black beast" type.  I thought generally you would replace the lot?  I'll wait for a price from Mark and see. 

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 01:59:01 PM »
They look different to each other and different to the rest in the machine.  The majority are "black beast" type.  I thought generally you would replace the lot?  I'll wait for a price from Mark and see. 

As Chuck mentioned - Coils either work or they don't. The only time they can feel like they are not working is either physical resistance, or if the EOS is not adjusted correctly, they get warm, weak and then blow the flipper fuse..

If the coil part number is not the same as in the manual - they replace them. More powerful coils lead to plastics being damaged. What part numbers do they have printed on the coils ?

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 06:29:31 PM »
If I can offload the F14 plastics I bought and no longer need that will offset the price a bit...

Are they the ones from CPR, as was going to need a set for my f14 when i get around to doing it.Can you pm me with a price if you like.

thanks
Craig
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 06:30:22 PM »

As Chuck mentioned - Coils either work or they don't. The only time they can feel like they are not working is either physical resistance, or if the EOS is not adjusted correctly, they get warm, weak and then blow the flipper fuse..

If the coil part number is not the same as in the manual - they replace them. More powerful coils lead to plastics being damaged. What part numbers do they have printed on the coils ?

OK here are some pictures of both assemblies.  I'm happy to replace lot if necessary, but if I only need to bits then I'm all ears!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
If I can offload the F14 plastics I bought and no longer need that will offset the price a bit...

Are they the ones from CPR, as was going to need a set for my f14 when i get around to doing it.Can you pm me with a price if you like.

thanks
Craig

Hi Craig,

Not sure.  I got them off ebay....They look very good to me...

I will PM you shortly (in the middle of trying to remove crane from LAH!).

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:35:19 PM »

Check the part number on the green coil is the same as in the manual. Se how the game plays when you have finished cleaning it..

coils are not that expensive, but if the work - I'd leave them

Flipper kits are more crucial to the game's performance.

Greg and MarkC carry the rebuild kits and individual parts