Author Topic: Anyone Played Fathom?  (Read 521 times)

Offline pistolpete78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
Anyone Played Fathom?
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
Pauls 50s has one on Ebay.  I'm really taken by the theme/artwork on the machine and IPDB reads fairly well, but thought I'd see what other opinions are out there.

I'm not going to import one from o/s, but am trying to decide whether this is one to keep a look out for.  Anyone seen one in Brissy anywhere??

Cheers,

Pete

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Anyone Played Fathom?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:38:43 PM »
Pete,

As far as I am aware, its quite a rare machine.

Nino (Strangeways) will be best to answer this as he has one.    *%*

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:49:02 PM »
Yeah, apparently only a production of 3,500.  So it's probably out of my range for now.  Curious though - really like the design.  But who knows, it may be all looks and no brains - not that there's anything wrong with that %$%

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:52:54 PM »
If Nino owns one and going to the level of restoration that he has, I would bet that its a great playing game too.

CPR did the playfields (which look amazing too)...That should tell you something about the quality of the game...!

Also have you seen the one Christopher Hutchins restored too?

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album88

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 03:34:25 PM »

Ahhh.. Yesssss...

Fathom is my "Holy Grail" Pinball - and is the second best Bally I've played. Paragon is my Favorite, but Fathom takes the very best of the genre - Drop targets (2 Banks and in line banks), multiball and the "complete" art package.

I have a repro playfield being sent next week, and my machine will be restored in around 6 months. It will never be for sale.

Fathom is VERY high on collector's lists and I've seen one on Aussie eBay in seven years. I'm sitting on a second Fathom with a perfect cabinet but no backglass - so who knows - I might make one out two and have one spare !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 04:06:17 PM »
IMO - best Bally pin made - ever!

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 04:08:57 PM »
I think Paul's50 had two?

Might be worth bringing both in and selling one?

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 04:13:24 PM »

Ahhh.. Yesssss...

Fathom is my "Holy Grail" Pinball - and is the second best Bally I've played. Paragon is my Favorite, but Fathom takes the very best of the genre - Drop targets (2 Banks and in line banks), multiball and the "complete" art package.

I have a repro playfield being sent next week, and my machine will be restored in around 6 months. It will never be for sale.

Fathom is VERY high on collector's lists and I've seen one on Aussie eBay in seven years. I'm sitting on a second Fathom with a perfect cabinet but no backglass - so who knows - I might make one out two and have one spare !

Hi Nino

Did you souce yours in Australia or did you import yours.Wouldnt mine one as well but dont like my chances of getting one local.
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline joydivision

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 05:25:07 PM »
Looks like their is one in Aust. 5k though.

http://www.pinballwarehouse.net.au/Index.asp?pagename=displayprod&id=4209&category=Pinball+Machines+1980%2B&categoryid=1240

After seeing pictures of Fathom in "lure of the silver ball"  I thought the design was amazing. I wanted one for years and finally got one in 1997 (thanks to pinball collector jeff for the tip-off) in Adelaide, machine was even located  close to where I live.

It's and insane fast game with quirky speech and sound effects reminisent of 70's dr who. A really good game almost causes cardiac arrest!

I still love it just as much as when I first got it.

Offline big dog

• Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 08:09:19 PM »
Great player, has lots of features,Lots, the art colour at night is fantastic,the playfield and backglass.I have no Ballys  bar Dr who but if I had room this is a sweet playing and outstanding looking game.

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:23:00 PM »
I think Paul's50 had two?

Might be worth bringing both in and selling one?

Could only see one, but a great idea.  Anyone who has bought from Pauls 50s - what did you find were the additional freight/import costs?  I can't stop thinking about this :D

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:26:31 PM »
Paul (Rollerball) just had his HH shipped in and it cost him about $850

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:40:06 PM »

Ahhh.. Yesssss...

Hi Nino

Did you souce yours in Australia or did you import yours.Wouldnt mine one as well but dont like my chances of getting one local.

I bought mine from Pauls50 - But mine was a project machine with a very poor playfield. I knew CPR were doing a re run of Fathom playfields, so I bought the machine with the intent of replacing the playfield.

Cost of machine - $1575 AUS + $595 AUS + $700 AUS in fees = around $2800 for a project Fathom.

Add around $1500 to $1600 - depending on the price listed for the machine + shipping !

Only for "Holy Grail" machines in my view - but worth it.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

bobaloobus

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
I bought mine from Pauls50 - But mine was a project machine with a very poor playfield. I knew CPR were doing a re run of Fathom playfields, so I bought the machine with the intent of replacing the playfield.

Cost of machine - $1575 AUS + $595 AUS + $700 AUS in fees = around $2800 for a project Fathom.

Add around $1500 to $1600 - depending on the price listed for the machine + shipping !

Only for "Holy Grail" machines in my view - but worth it.
[/quote]

Hi Nino
How much were the total costs for the new playfield to be sent across the pond ?

Agree with Nino, it's a "great bally" when everything is crisp, clean & fast, it can really keep you on your toes,with the added bonus of some of the best art ever displayed on a pinny....!

Offline silverball

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:05:13 PM »
There should be another in the country in November.