Author Topic: GTB Whirlwind  (Read 172 times)

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
GTB Whirlwind
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:59:43 PM »
I'm keen to get a GTB EM with manual ball loader. Saw this one on ebay and was keen to bid for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1958-Pinball-Machine-Gottlieb-Whirlwind_W0QQitemZ120438440510QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?hash=item1c0ab0c23e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A1|66%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

When I checked it on IPMD, I see it is a 1957 (not 58) and was a woodrail. The one for sale on ebay has metal surrounds for the PF glass. Compare this to the pic of an original on the IPMD. I'm not as keen now. However, if it went for the right price, it would be a great project to restore. If only I had some more skills, patience and $$$.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 11:02:46 PM by bossninja17 »
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: GTB Whirlwind
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:27:22 AM »
Mark,

I have been watching this auction very closely....that game is only 20 minutes South.

The issues it has are: the timber rails may be under the steel ones but I doubt it....the real tough one is the timber lockdown bar is missing. These are real hard to come buy (just ask Daniel). Also the playfield plastics are toast and not available anywhere and the respray of the cab is needed. As all 1950s Gottlieb woodrails the paint scheme is very complex.

The backglass photo is also a bit suss....tough to tell what the real condition of that glass is.

Do I need another woodrail and project?

Will have to see what it ends up at  &&

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »
Good buy even with the amount of work still needed.

Finished at $1,075....was watching it at $600 and knew the highest bidder was Mark (bossninja17) so backed off and expected him to win  !@#

If anybody here did win it please feel free to contact me and come visit as I'm only 20 minutes North  *%*

Offline bossninja17

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • sydney
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
Yep, missed this one. probably would have bidded up to $750.
If any AP member got this and lives around Sydney way, let me know. I'm keen to see what this machine looks like in the flesh.
I'm still on my quest for a manual ball loader GTB.
Wanted: GTB Aquarius backglass. Any playfield bits and backglasses from any EMs - nothing is junk to me.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:00:16 PM »
The machine didnt have the original rails under it Riviera had stainles the same with no rails but marathon had stainless covering the wood rails thankfully