Author Topic: The coin op curse  (Read 206 times)

Offline v200juke

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
The coin op curse
« on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »
I want to share what happened today because I know we have all been there.I am selling a 50s juke (although this applies to any coin op machine.) The damn thing has been working flawlessly for 6 months. The guy likes the machine so I put a song on. It picks up the record, slam dunks it onto the turntable and the needle skims across and spits the record off.I said to the prospective buyer this has never happened before and he gives me a sympathetic smile as you do to a child , looney or B.S artist.Why do these machine wait till you are selling them or having a party or showing off your latest restoration to do this. The coin op curse.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
Re: The coin op curse
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
Yep, know the feeling.....like when you have a tooth ache and by the time you see dentist its all good.
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

pinballist

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 08:28:24 PM »
Ha ha that's awesome:)  Like when Bill Gates was showing off Windows 98 at some mega conference and it blue screened when they plugged a scanner into the USB port.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »
Wouldave been worse if it happened when the buyer got it home. Sucks also, because buyers can be very hard to find for some stuff.

pinballist

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:48 PM »
Yeah that's true, I think people who buy vintage coin-op stuff have to expect that the thing is not going to operate perfectly 100% of the time. I think somebody else in this forum said that pinball machines will eventually end up in the hands of restorer collectors, just like classic cars.

It's funny because when I'm shooting weddings I like to have a chat with the guys who drive the classic hire cars and their hands always look like they've just done an oil change  %.%

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:20:32 PM »
Yep thats just standard everytime my brother comes over and i want to show him the latest machine ive got going the bloody thing wont go lol.   

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 09:27:30 PM »
I think it was telling you that it wanted to stay "Why are you selling me??   !!! "
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:57:23 PM »
A mate of mine ( haven't seen him for a while ) used to work for LAI in the very early 80's and he remembers when they had a party to launch the new Gottlieb Black Hole to all the potential operators, and the bastard things were breaking down left right and centre.

I cant remeber how many they set up but about 4 of them broke down apparently because of "design flaws". How true that turned out be.