Author Topic: Black Smoke? powder all over a pin ???  (Read 263 times)

Marty Machine

• Trade Count: (0)
Black Smoke? powder all over a pin ???
« on: July 07, 2009, 09:00:35 PM »
Hi All,

While changing several lamps on a SouthPark playfield, i noticed the underside of the playfield-inserts (and the surface of most lamps) have a fine layer of black powder, not sure what or how it got there, almost like there's been a serious smokey flameout within the machine, but nothing appears fire damaged within the entire machine.

After replacing the DMD today, i also found this same black powder on the inside of the DMD plastic window.

The powder wipes off very easily with a tissue

My new theory is that *maybe* the previous owner had an open fireplace in the same room as the pinnie (or next room) and the pin has been collecting the soot over the years.

Anyone seen this before and know what this might be?
(in case others are seeing this in their machines).

MM.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: Black Smoke? powder all over a pin ???
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »
Hi All,

While changing several lamps on a SouthPark playfield, i noticed the underside of the playfield-inserts (and the surface of most lamps) have a fine layer of black powder, not sure what or how it got there, almost like there's been a serious smokey flameout within the machine, but nothing appears fire damaged within the entire machine.

After replacing the DMD today, i also found this same black powder on the inside of the DMD plastic window.

The powder wipes off very easily with a tissue

My new theory is that *maybe* the previous owner had an open fireplace in the same room as the pinnie (or next room) and the pin has been collecting the soot over the years.

Anyone seen this before and know what this might be?
(in case others are seeing this in their machines).

MM.

My LAH was similar.  Playfield side - thick layer of tar over plastics.  Underside was covered in a fine black dust.  It did have black rubbers but NFI what it was.  Cleaned up well.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:28:14 PM »
Yep, you will find it in every machine pertty much.  I think it is a carbon like build up from all the elctrical comings and goings in and under the machine.  You will notice things like the flipper coils especially and the coil sleeves will be covered in it.  If there are ramps under the playfield, good chance they will be black as well if they have never been cleaned.

I am sure that there is a much more technical term and explanation for it but main thing is, it's nothing to worry about, just something to clean.
Addicted to pins.

Marty Machine

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:41:36 PM »
That's a fair call, could be carbon arching from the coils/contacts etc....

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »
I'd agree with the carbon theory especially if the machine has copped a mega load of game play
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 12:00:18 AM »

mate come in and see some I have , very normal  for  " black crap "  the pinball word for it LOL
did you see the party zone today .... you remember what that looked like last week
will be on ebay very soon too

mark

Marty Machine

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:06:21 AM »
hehehehe 'Black Crap'.......hight-tech term.

Yeh, i glanced over the PZ yesterday in passing, looking a lot better than the day i was checking them both out.

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »
hehehehe 'Black Crap'.......hight-tech term.

Yeh, i glanced over the PZ yesterday in passing, looking a lot better than the day i was checking them both out.

lol thought u like that

mark