Author Topic: Hankin FJ - Help please  (Read 1415 times)

Offline Romano

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Whyalla; South Australia
Re: Hankin FJ - Help please
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »
OK, the plot thickens...

thanks everyone for all your help so far. I have tested the BRs and all the resistors and capacitors on the power board. I have replaced the old capisitors and I can say that the BRs are all in tact.

I replaced the offending fuse and tested the board thouroguht at each TP. NO PROBLEMS!

I connected the board up, swithced on the game and it completed its reset cycle, meanwhile the bumpers locked down again, Then, the same fuse blew. Then... you ready for this???? a Darlington Transistor was blown off the solenoid driver board, and I do mean 'blown off', it landed on the playfield.

Now I have a new dilemna. According to the schematic these are 'TIP122 100V 8A'. Looked on a few websites and it turns out that TIP122 are 100V 5A and that 100V 8A are TIP102. I cannot find TIP122-100-a anywhere. IS this 'TIP' number significant? it seems I cannot match the complete part number.

Thanks everyone,
Sandro.

Offline bossgp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2009, 05:44:27 PM »
Since I was working for Hankin's in Brisbane as a workshop tech when FJ was new, just want to say sounds like you have a driver board fault and not a power supply fault anymore, from memory and remember this is going back some 29 years ago we used to substitute TIP 122 with 2N6043 but you need to bend the legs and swap the base and the collector of the transistors. The bumpers should be solenoids 09, 10, 11 sorry I don't have any schematics anymore so this is just from memory.
Just look at the Solenoid  - lamp driver board circuit and see which transistors correspond to the bumper solenoids as above, feel free to email me the diagrams if you have a scanner, I might be able to help you more.
Please cut the wires or unsolder them from all of the bumpers that are being pulled down on power on as said before hand by someone else.
And yes I feel for you red hot transistors do explode when being shorted.

Offline The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Berwick Vic
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 06:00:12 PM »

Can you check in the manual and see what fuse F3 on powerboard is for?  This will help us track it down.. 

OK. The schematic shows that fuse F3 takes 25V AC from the transformer and puts it through what looks like a bridge rectifier (please confirm, on the schematic it is drawn as an array of diodes in a square with a 22 Ohm resistor in the middle). it then is fed through to the playfield as 2 things: SOLENOIDE SUPPLY and SOLENOID SUPPLY [BOOSTED]. The testpoint for this path is T.P.3. Looking at this schematic, and funny how this circuit is playing up, I wonder if a previous owner knew, or thought they knew what they were doing; someone has written on the schematic and the resistor in the abovementioned array has a '-' at one end and a '+' written on the other end. The same pen then wrote 'R2+' at the SOLENOIDE SUPPLY [BOOSTED] end and 'R1-' at the SOLENOIDE SUPPLY end. I dont know if any of that is significant. !@#

Also, I have checked the switches and all are OK. The only glaring thing I noticed is that the coil which fires the right sling-shot will not allow the pin to move down it. On close inspection, taking the coil out, the coil sleeve has melted and imploded into the cavity, hence the pin CANNOT go anywhere.

Phew, hope this is helping you guys, and THANKS, the response has been overwhelming and I really appreciate it.  #*#

Did you replace the transistors?  TIP 102 is NPN and Tip 122 is NPN 8A, should be able to use either, even if the amp rating varies from 5 - 8 amps should be suitable for this application? Did you replace the slingshot coil?  Are any other coils burnt or not free?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 06:04:28 PM by The pinballist formally known as Dean Morgan »
Im a Gottlieb Man - System 1 & 80 Rock

Offline dj10555

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 06:08:56 PM »
Hi Sandro,
I would check the other coils are not binding as Dean mentioned and replaced the faulty right slingshot coil as it has melted. Also need to check the resistance of every coil again before connecting the board back up otherwise it could possibly blow the transistor again.