Author Topic: How to get them old globe holders going???  (Read 1201 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
How to get them old globe holders going???
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:10:19 PM »
Most of the older games (particularly gottlieb system 1's I find) will have a number of globes out because the holder is not longer conducting. Seems these are a "press" connection between the round barrel part and the metal tab. Often the are quite loose, and sometimes are OK after a twist, otherwise I have replaced them. I am wondering if there is a better way? The "strip" type ones (long metal ground plate with several barrels) aren't that easily replaced - so - is there a way to repair these?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: How to get them old globe holders going???
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »

I bought a globe holder cleaner from PBR years ago - I swear by it.. Sometimes it is as simple as cleaning the holder. I also use 360 grit on the end of a tube and insert that into the globe holder... Couple of twists and that can be good to go.. Still no luck ? Use a pair of pliers to squeeze the holder gently.. This makes for a tighter fit..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »
All good stuff Nino, but this is more about the "press fit" between the barrel and the plate that seems to develop resistance..
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
Personally, I replace any non-working or suspect globe holders. Many of the ones I have come across are to far gone for a "clean" - they are usually spinning freely.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 10:27:32 AM »
Personally, I replace any non-working or suspect globe holders. Many of the ones I have come across are to far gone for a "clean" - they are usually spinning freely.

Yes - Once the tab is spinning.. Remove and replace !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 06:57:37 PM »
What about where we are dealing with a "strip" sort like the one photographed? Not sure replacements would even be available.

Offline Ballywannabe

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 08:25:22 PM »
First remove all the globes and clean the sockets with your special cleaning stick that you have now purchased!  Replace all globes with new ones if they are even remotely tarnished.  If still no joy, for the 'ground' side solder a copper wire along all of the bases and then run it to ground.  For the 'wire' side, try soldering the wire directly onto the middle of the lug - you may need a light file first and a fair bit of heat.  This will look a bit ugly but usually works.

cheers
Ian

Offline pinfrenzy

• Forum Posts:
  • montrose
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:18:18 AM »
Exactly what everyone else said. If the end tab spins freely the you need a hot iron to hardwire the buggers. You can clean as much as as you like but if you want reliable globe holders you need to replace or mod. Cleaning will only fix temporarilly. Drew.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 10:37:53 PM »
All good stuff Nino, but this is more about the "press fit" between the barrel and the plate that seems to develop resistance..

I always solder the barrel and plate after cleaning them with a wirewheel in a Dremel so the solder will take. Have a look in my "Roller Disco" thread in restorations... i've included a pic there showing this work.

Hope this is of some use to you!!

Cheers.. Mitch

Offline Nug

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
  • NPC non-factory CEO
    • Coconut Island
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 07:21:14 PM »
how about this....
place a 4mm rod so as to cover the rivet bottom and then from top press or squeeze onto the bulb tip bit...try to repress them somehow, perhaps a modified long width g-clamp could do the trick, shit you could even make it so the globe kit adapts to the g-clamp stop and its screw ?! reusing the g clamp to hold down your insert template... sorry  @.@
oh my mistake.. you are wrong !

Marty Machine

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2008, 01:23:04 AM »
Following on form Nugs method, i did a similar thing.

I got an old bar of steel, and drilled just a small indent into it
Using just the drilltip was enough depth to cutout a small countersunk notch.

Holding the lamp base down onto the metal bar so the rear tip sits into the notch, i then used a nail and held in place inside the lamp holder, and tapped a few times with a hammer which basically re-tensioned the connection, much like the way they were pressed together in factory. (it's almost a rivet method).
Depending on the socket style, you could use the sharp end of the nail, or the bullet head end, or even grind off the tip to have a flat end.

I now don't have any rear solder tags that spin around in circles etc, and ALL my lamps are constantly bright.

I got to a point where i'd clip on (aligator clipleads) onto the socket being modified and put a globe in and test/shake/hit/flex to make sure it wasn't intermittent any more.
Each time a globe still flickered, i'd pull it out, whack the nail into the socket again, and try the globe again.

Didn't take long to have 50 STABLE sockets.

Good Luck,
Marty.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2008, 12:31:22 PM »

Marty - Got a picture of this method ?

Marty Machine

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2008, 04:20:20 PM »
Sorry i did this long ago for a mates pin, as his sockets were all loose and shocking.

I realise now there are many different types of socket/pin arrangements, so if you can't use a simple nail, you may need something hollow tipped for some sockets like GI that allow the spring to protrude out the rear.

Marty