Author Topic: CLASSIFYING PINBALL MACHINES  (Read 471 times)

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
CLASSIFYING PINBALL MACHINES
« on: July 17, 2009, 07:11:41 PM »
Hi All, One thing that gets me is when people expect to get top dollar for a semi-basket case...All restorers know that if a machine is A1, top shelf, then a lot of time and money has been spent on it. It's Class 1 and that's why it's worth more ..... a lot more, than for the same machine as a non-working tired old work-horse. So,.... I've tried to come up with a rating classification for pinnies. It's only a first draft.... (I loosely thought of Overstreet's Price Guide for comics.) Anyway, as I said, ....a first draft. Feedback and comments are welcome. Cheers, Mark

pinballist

Re: CLASSIFYING PINBALL MACHINES
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 07:56:14 PM »
Good effort there kidamigo.  From memory Michael Shaloub also has a rating system but it's not as comprehensive as yours.

I'm all in favour for such a system, I guess the hardest thing is getting everyone to follow it.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 07:59:25 PM »
Good effort there kidamigo.  From memory Michael Shaloub also has a rating system but it's not as comprehensive as yours.

I'm all in favour for such a system, I guess the hardest thing is getting everyone to follow it.

Two hardest things - getting people to use it in the first place; getting people to use it honestly when they use it...

pinballist

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »
Such a system is great among people that have a certain level of trust and credibility to maintain, like between most members of our Aussie Pinball community, but Andrew is right about people using it honestly.  At the end of the day I guess you gotta use such a system as a precursor to actually seeing the machine.

mark jackson

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 09:33:43 PM »
Howdy guys and thanks, To add to the Classifying part, I have thought about doing a value part....not done in straight dollars, but as a percentage of a nominated value for a 7.5 machine.... That way folks can use it in times to come. I reckon this: no-one needs such a rating system more than restorers...we're the ones who turn wrecks back into Class 1 units. We know that if you pay too much for a machine too far gone, then it can be a financial bottomless pit to get things in 9.5 shape again....Next, any person buying a machine would benefit from having such knowledge at their fingertips....
I don't mind folks selling for top dollar .... as long as there is value in that machine. Every machine I've sold I asked for, and got top dollar. The problem I've got is with those who have maybe a 5-7.5 machine, and who demand top dollar because "you could restore this machine easily.".......Yes, you could, but only with a lot of time, effort and money.
Restorers need to get their machines as cheaply as possible. The expense becomes outrageous anyway. Without us, many machines would be lost to the scrapheap of time. Instead they get recycled through the community and continue to give enjoyment and pleasure to people. .... that's gotta be worth something. I tried to give value to both the restored and original machines in my scale.     Regards, Mark

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 11:08:32 PM »

That's a great breakdown of classification. The only issue I see, that has already been raised, is that it requires at least two parties (buyer or seller) agreeing to the classification. This is where it can develop the "grey area" - as the definitions might be interpreted differently.

However - I agree with all of the terms - and obviously, a lot of thought has gone into it. If a charter like this was adhered to, it would justify the long hours we put into our restores. It may just be a "hobby" or "pastime", but it can be difficult for us to value a game. Do you value the game on the amount of Hours it owes you, or the "market" or "eBay" price ?

Similar to Mark, I have no problems putting in the hours, as collectors appreciate the level of detail we go to. There is no way a dealer can spend the amount of time and resources to attain even an 8.0 + - just not viable.

for me - I'll buy games around 4.0 and enjoy the challenge and the journey towards a 9.9  ^^^

Well done Mark !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Marty Machine

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
Although a point of reference like that is excellent, it soon gets blown out the water by 'supply & demand' or 'sentimental purchase' in which cash seems to have no boundary.

It still amazes me what $$ some pins are fetching, or at least 'asking'  %$%
I personally dont find some of the $7k to $10k machine 'worth' that pricetag, but if i'm gonna spend $10k, i'd want 4-5 pins for it, albeit they would be dogs needing love....

Well done though Kidamigo, i guess this has to start somewhere ....
MM.

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 12:09:02 AM »
Although a point of reference like that is excellent, it soon gets blown out the water by 'supply & demand' or 'sentimental purchase' in which cash seems to have no boundary.

It still amazes me what $$ some pins are fetching, or at least 'asking'  %$%
I personally dont find some of the $7k to $10k machine 'worth' that pricetag, but if i'm gonna spend $10k, i'd want 4-5 pins for it, albeit they would be dogs needing love....

Well done though Kidamigo, i guess this has to start somewhere ....
MM.

Actually, there are plenty of decent pins to be had in the $1500 to $2000 price range. A number of less well known and hence less popular titles could be obtained in good condition if one looked around. So if you got 5 they wouldn't have to be dogs. And if you went for 4 you could get some even better machines at the $2500 price point (just look back over some of MarkC's 1c eBay auctions).

Marty Machine

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 12:19:50 AM »
Actually, there are plenty of decent pins to be had in the $1500 to $2000 price range. A number of less well known and hence less popular titles could be obtained in good condition if one looked around. So if you got 5 they wouldn't have to be dogs. And if you went for 4 you could get some even better machines at the $2500 price point (just look back over some of MarkC's 1c eBay auctions).

Exactly !!

Offline james12

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 10:11:37 PM »
That's a really nice summary & fair categorisation.  Be nice if something like this became the convention.