Author Topic: Gday, AskJacob here  (Read 4929 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Gday, AskJacob here
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 10:48:03 AM »
Nice to see you over this side as well.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2009, 10:55:44 AM »
 %)% Jacob.

Offline RaMpAgE

• Forum Posts:
  • Bendigo, Vic
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »
Howdy AJ  <..>

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:30 AM »
Thanks for the welcome :)

I have a few pics up on photobucket, here is 3 of the lineup in a rare time with all of them together and the glass on ::)

Cheers
Jacob

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 11:15:01 AM »
 $.$ and  %)% to AP, Jacob.

You will find a wealth of experience and assistance on this forum, so make sure you ask plenty of questions !

Regarding the MPU for your Dracula - You could try Skybeau (Ken) or start a "wanted thread". The other option is to buy an Altek Board, which PSP sells.

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 11:34:53 AM »

You will find a wealth of experience and assistance on this forum, so make sure you ask plenty of questions !

Regarding the MPU for your Dracula - You could try Skybeau (Ken) or start a "wanted thread". The other option is to buy an Altek Board, which PSP sells.

^^^

Thanks Nino,

I know that mpu-100's (or 200's) are pretty easy to come by, maybe I should be a little more clear on where I am right now - I have a 100 but it is badly corrosion damaged. Now I was able to repair the corrosion damaged 100 in my Drac, but this other 100 board I have is probably too far gone. Someone else has already had a go at it, probably 10+ years ago, and they both overheated and removed tracks as well as did not clean the pcb so it continued to deteriorate.

I am a persistent bugger though, so with the joy of having a working board to compare with will keep plugging away until the inevitable time in a few months that I just buy another one :)

The altek boards look quite good, but I am happier with the older boards as I have the parts and tools to still repair them. It is good to know though that there is always another option if needed  *)*

Cheers
Jacob

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »

^^^

Thanks Nino,

I know that mpu-100's (or 200's) are pretty easy to come by, maybe I should be a little more clear on where I am right now - I have a 100 but it is badly corrosion damaged. Now I was able to repair the corrosion damaged 100 in my Drac, but this other 100 board I have is probably too far gone. Someone else has already had a go at it, probably 10+ years ago, and they both overheated and removed tracks as well as did not clean the pcb so it continued to deteriorate.

I am a persistent bugger though, so with the joy of having a working board to compare with will keep plugging away until the inevitable time in a few months that I just buy another one :)

The altek boards look quite good, but I am happier with the older boards as I have the parts and tools to still repair them. It is good to know though that there is always another option if needed  *)*

Cheers
Jacob

I've done quite a few -100s and they can be a pain - but once you go to the effort of replacing all the sockets and installing a corrosion kit, you just don't stop !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 12:58:37 PM »
Hi Jacob, A big  %)% to you.

Nice mix of old and new pins.

Shame about the fade on the IJ but pretty typical from what I've seen.

Chris

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 05:08:34 PM »
G'day Jacob,  %)%,
Good to see you here as well. Looking forward to meeting you at Jyebow's meet & having a go on your AG Soccerball. $#$
cheers Steve.
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 07:44:02 PM »
Hi Jacob  %)%
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
  • central coast, New South Wales
  • Scrambled human circut boards
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 10:16:02 PM »
Greetings AJ,Love your enthusiasm and welcome to the site. %)%

Offline bigdaddy

• Forum Posts:
  • WTB: Phantom of the Opera
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »
On ya Jacob.  %)% aboard.
WTB - Phantom of the Opera

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »
Tell us more about Black Rose and what you like about it; it is a pin I reckon I would be interested in down the track.

Offline AskJacob

• Forum Posts:
  • Normanhurst (Sydney)
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 11:07:44 PM »
Tell us more about Black Rose and what you like about it; it is a pin I reckon I would be interested in down the track.

Hmm, where to start:

Black Rose was my first pin, I bought it working oh, I dunno 7 or 8 years ago now. Probably more, but don't want to think about it :D

I love the original theme, the music suits the pin perfectly. The broadside cannon is a great surprise to 1st time players, it usually scares them when the ball comes hurtling at them from the back of the machine. The under playfield cannon is a neat toy, I have not needed to do anything with it other than lamps/flashers but I have heard it can be a bugger to level. The lighting when you load the cannon is awesome, all lights go out except the red GI, what a cool payoff...

The art is great, the game itself is a simple affair really. That seems to be the love/hate for collectors, the rules are not deep at all, a bunch of modes (including 3 video modes) sink ships, rinse and repeat. 2 ball multi ball, which can be converted to 3 ball by locking 2 and, umm, that's it.

I love it as you can just walk up and play. A good "pub" style machine, no learning required but you can come up with high scoring tactics if you want. It is a popular machine with kids and non-pinheads because the play is so approachable.

I hope this is of some help. Any other questions about it, just ask away!

PS and cows, it has hidden cows in the game :)

Cheers
Jacob
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 11:11:50 PM by AskJacob »

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 11:48:20 PM »
Thanks for the response. It sounds like a great game to add to a collection, maybe not as a stand-alone unless you really really like it.

I don't mind simpler game play - the challenge of achieving a higher score is still there. I have a Mousin' Around! and a Dirty Harry to date. The Mousin' Around! is fairly simple game play wise with the Dirty Harry somewhat deeper in rules, but I do enjoy both.