Author Topic: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore  (Read 6051 times)

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2008, 02:43:05 PM »
looking very nice indeed. I gave the siderails on my sinbad a sand as well. They were not showing rust but some spots of discoloration (maybe rust was there b4). I did my outside of the coin door as well, and yep they come-up great.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2008, 04:01:43 PM »
looking very nice indeed. I gave the siderails on my sinbad a sand as well. They were not showing rust but some spots of discoloration (maybe rust was there b4). I did my outside of the coin door as well, and yep they come-up great.

Small things like this make a huge difference. I'm going to replace all the siderail nails. They look terrible after a regraining..

Update

Great News...

After installing the mains plug - She fires up - Just the transformer board and ALL voltages are present + ~10% without load. VERY PLEASED.

The transformers are SUPER quiet.. No hummmmm at all !

Now I'm moving on to the head..

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 02:46:42 PM »
Update

The transformer in my Flash is mounted in the headbox. Its humm is quite noticeable when everything is quiet. Is this a williams thing, or do transformers develop humms?
lol
Cant hear my gottliebs humm at all.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 03:24:16 PM »
Update

The transformer in my Flash is mounted in the headbox. Its humm is quite noticeable when everything is quiet. Is this a williams thing, or do transformers develop humms?
lol

It can be a number of factors. Poor quality Transformer, poor line voltage and sometimes some DC voltage on the line.

Sometimes - You can eliminate humm simply by tightening the nuts on the transformer. Do this only with the machine off and the line cord out of the wall socket..

You are correct with the statement that Gottliebs are quieter than Williams. I've noticed that too.

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 03:28:07 PM »

Small things like this make a huge difference. I'm going to replace all the siderail nails. They look terrible after a regraining..

Update

Great News...

After installing the mains plug - She fires up - Just the transformer board and ALL voltages are present + ~10% without load. VERY PLEASED.

Now I'm moving on to the head..

Great to hear Nino. Looking forward to the next update.

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2008, 12:36:10 PM »
Update

lol

I dont notice the humm when I have the stereo on (just love playin pinball to loud music), and flash has that escalating sound feature (which I do like)
;)

But yep will check those nuts.
ty

It can be a number of factors. Poor quality Transformer, poor line voltage and sometimes some DC voltage on the line.

Sometimes - You can eliminate humm simply by tightening the nuts on the transformer. Do this only with the machine off and the line cord out of the wall socket..

You are correct with the statement that Gottliebs are quieter than Williams. I've noticed that too.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore - Update - Head
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2008, 12:35:25 AM »

Here's a an update on the Sinbad Head, which I thought was going to be easy, but I found a world of pain with this part of the restore..Read on...

Before Pictures

Nothing too exciting, just dirt, corrosion and rust.. Lots of rust, but everything was structurally ok. Paint is in great condition, and there is no moisture in the wood or anything abnormal...yet...

Score display and Credit Display missing - anyone have spares lying around - PM me..

Worst rust spot on the entire game.. Luckily - never seen... <.>

Shock, Horror - No boards  %.% That's how it was bought, and there's a PI -X4 going in this machine later on.. More rust, but all the parts are intact ;

Hmmm.. That looks nasty... Bit of corrosion for you ? Gets worse !

GROSS !!!!

WTF is this crap ? The corrosion has attacked the GI Braid and it literally is falling off. The staples are completely rusted !  ^.^

More pictures ;

After Pictures

After all the main parts were stripped, I placed all the metal parts in a container 1/4 full of Ranex and let it soak for a few hours. Most of the screws were so badly rusted, I just threw them out. While that was happening, I quickly cleaned the cabinet with, you guessed it, NIFTI  :D

I removed the metal parts and polished them further on the buffing wheel, or with a 000 Steel Wool and Brasso. Spend a lazy afternoon and then reassemble... I'm surprised it come up this good.. %.%

Notice the cardboard cards ? I cleaned and then Laminated then into one sheet. Then used a staple gun to mount them on the right hand side... I used my laminator that I have at home... It looks like this after passing it through the laminator...

Then I just trim the cards and staple them where they originally belong.

Nice paintwork on this game. The picture (below right) is just a "jab" at those that keep calling me "anal" with my restores... I was thinking of you guys while buffing the lock and brushing the original keys  @.@... But I enjoy this level of detail.

Rear Panels

These were bloody UGLY and tear AGES to clean.. Rusted and corroded.. I used my bench grinder with a wire wheel and went nuts. Then I used an old paint brush with Ranex and went to work with steel wool. Finally, a quick shime with Brasso and it looks fine..

LHS Picture, LHS panel was exactly as they were. LHS Picture, RHS panel was after Wire brushing
RHS Picture is both panels after Ranex and polishing

Bolted on to the rear of the Head...

Close up of the finished Head ( without the light board)

PBR Order arrived today !!!!!!   ^^^ ^^^

Installed the Shooter Rod, Lock and a few other parts.. Head is mounted and here's the last picture !

Oops.. Forgot this one  @.@ - This is the Transformer board with the Laminated cards.. Also the tilt board is installed.

Till next time  ^^^

Offline tonyt

• Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2008, 06:38:26 AM »
Looking good Nino, let me know when you plan to move to Adelaide

Pinball Resource is great to deal with. Recently placed my first order and sent payment then realised I forgot to include a couple of things. They were happy to include these and will send me an invoice with my goods for the extras ordered.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:40:47 AM by tonyt »

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2008, 08:54:08 AM »
Looking very nice Nino - mightily impressive. How good does the head look?  ^^^

For there to be that much rust, it must have been stored in a damp environment don't you think?

That Ranex looks like a marvellous product!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2008, 12:07:17 PM »
Looking good Nino, let me know when you plan to move to Adelaide

Pinball Resource is great to deal with. Recently placed my first order and sent payment then realised I forgot to include a couple of things. They were happy to include these and will send me an invoice with my goods for the extras ordered.

This game is destined for a Gamesroom in Adelaide !

PBR are great for game specific parts.. RTBB now stock some of the older stuff, which is a great help

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
Looking very nice Nino - mightily impressive. How good does the head look?  ^^^

For there to be that much rust, it must have been stored in a damp environment don't you think?

That Ranex looks like a marvellous product!

Some more than others... The playfields on all the games I've bought from this container were all EXCELLENT.. Backglasses were VERY GOOD.. Everything else can be restored.. Just need time and patience...

Yes - the storage would have been a damp place, but no water damage to any of the games..

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore - Quick Update
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »

No pictures this update as the camera battery is dead !

Things done today ;

Siderail Nails removed, and new ones installed
Chime unit re assembled with new coil sleeves
New coil insert installed
Lightbox was stripped and sanded down. I painted the front white, as there was a little "curling" from the moisture, and it will look bettwr. I removed the "green" GI braid and removed all the sockets and ordered new ones from Greg. I've sanded the reverse side with emery paper, and I might seal it tomorrow.. That has been put aside...

GREAT NEWS...(pix will follow)

Contact (Mylar) removed without a spec of paint lifting, and a really beautiful playfield was hidden for many years !!! I'm really pleased as now all the new playfield parts will SHINE with a backdrop of a polished, colorful and vibrant playfield..

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2008, 12:31:30 AM »
Really good news mate. Can't wait to see pics of the playfield with all the new plastics installed.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Gottlieb Sinbad Restore - Upper Playfield
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2008, 11:58:27 PM »

As explained earlier, I had plenty of success removing the contact (mylar) from the playfield. The playfield was fine with the contact "as is", but it is always worth examining whether the playfield and the machine would benefit from the removal - because underneath the dull contact, could be a really nice playfield - protected all these years ! I approach this decision by testing a section that has already. You can also look at the artwork through the mylar and if it looks like there are fine "cracks" then this can influence the decision. Mylar (in its current form) did not exist in 1970's.. Operators used contact - Thinner and the adhesive is easily warmed up with a hair dryer...

Before Pictures

Nice playfield "as is".. Would be just fine with the mylar intact. But the temptation of a perfect playfield under that mylar was too much !!

Contact Removal

After testing in a corner of the playfield - it was "All Systems Go".. Armed with a Hair Dryer and a set of needle nose pliers, I warmed up the mylar ahead of where I was lifting it and gentle pulled the contact in an "upwards" direction - small sections at a time. Avoid heat directly on the playfield where the contact has been removed.. Watch for any paint lift.. Thankfully, not a speck for me - This time  :D

The Key to contact / Mylar removal is patience

Here's some pictures ;

Upper Playfield complete, working down to the flippers..

Contact removed, and now the adhesive residue remains.. This was easily removed with Shellite (Naptha) from Bunnings, and a rag. Playfield is a bit dull beforehand, but the colors are vibrant.

After removing all the residue with Shellite. I removed the other dirt with Novus 3, and then Novus 2. I noticed that the mylar was installed a few years after the game was operated and there is some evidence of ball swirtl in the Yellow areas...

Here are two pictures after the Novus 2 and a bit of polishing are done. No waxing yet, as I need to work on the underside of the playfield. I'm VERY pleased with the results  ^^^

Next update - The underside of the playfield !

:D

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »
Woo hoo!  #*# How sweet it is. I can't wait to have a game on that. She's going to play nice and fast don't you think?