Author Topic: HH Continues  (Read 2849 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: HH Continues
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »
WOW looking much cleaner than when I last saw it  *%*

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:59 AM »
Looking Good Nick cant wait for a game  ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2009, 12:39:27 PM »
Well with the mylar coming off the main playfield so well, I confidently started the basement.. .. ..

Seems the confidence was misplaced unfortunately!

Yikes!!  !!!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
But with Wotto's help teaching me some Photoshop techniques.. .. ..
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 12:57:26 PM »

Was the basement from the same machine as the playfield ?

That decal looks great - What type of material / printer did you use ?

^^^
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
That looks Great Nick you realise your now going to have to teach me these photoshop techniques

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »
Was the basement from the same machine as the playfield ?

It had the same quality of rust on the mechanical components so I'm guessing yes.

That decal looks great - What type of material / printer did you use ?

The printer is a Roland unit, about $300K worth I believe! He showed me the ink wells - "$10,000 worth of ink there".
It's printed on a plastic material, same as the cab art was for Coconut Island. A clear laminate will go over the print first so it'll take another day while the gasses bleed off. In the meantime I'll be popping the inserts out, and sanding back to wood, clear coating, then ready to install the decal. After that will be mylar as the laminate won't be sufficient for pinball use, particularly the way the ball drops into the basement, make for high wear.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2009, 03:35:07 PM »
That looks Great Nick you realise your now going to have to teach me these photoshop techniques

Mate, it will be the blind leading the blind, but I'm game!

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2009, 03:42:47 PM »
Nick you realise your now going to have to teach me these photoshop techniques

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol Sorry Nick  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol
   (This will make sense later people)

DW Drums rule !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2009, 05:21:35 PM »
   (This will make sense later people)

@.@

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2009, 11:19:30 PM »
Unfortunately this area is a little too complex for my meager talents to restore.

What we need is someone who is not only a top bloke, but has excellent talents and the patience of a saint.

Not sure how we'll go, but I'm sure a solution will pop up in time.. .. ..
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:22:22 PM by pinnies4me »

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »
OK - time to show all........Nick contacted me some weeks back and he sent me the following images and asked if I could help....as you will see , this was pretty ugly

It was probably the biggest task I have undertaken in Photoshop but I said I would give it a shake.......the GOOD news for me was that Nick had scanned his playfield in at the CORRECT sizes, so that made the job , not easy......but easier than it otherwise would have been.

I had no real concerns in tracing, re-drawing this but sizing and colour matching are ALWAYS a pain in the butt.

I thought I would show quite a few progress shots of this so people can get some idea of ( at least the way I do ) the Photoshop process.

SO I started by doing the diamond pattern ..........dont worry about the colours until the end , we just wanted it to be close while we made the new image....

It ended up as a layer like this

Next up I started the Green/Black sections up the top...hoping they were 'close' to being positioned correctly..

Next up I decided to do all the inserts and text next, I had to re-draw most of the text which meant outlining the black surround and rewriting most of the WHITE lettering so it would print nice and white.

Next up came the ghosts - another forum member Ian had provided some REALLY nice photos for these so I was able to copy them from the photos but I had to recolour them on this new image.

Heres some close ups of some of the above sections.....

Nick did an overall B&W print  to check the size and after one night of adjusting, we had the overall size of this perfect

We were pretty happy with the progress but unsure of the placements for the inserts , ghost etc.....we tried a couple of things to work out how to translate to each other over email where I needed to line these things up......Nick came up with the idea of placing his B&W print on his PF and marking it up , scanning the marked B&W image in again and he re-sent it to me......I was then able to lay it into my image as a new layer and work from nicks markings......see below

Next I started dropping the inserts onto the image as can be seen in this next shot....if you look at the far left insert I faded it out so you can see how I could 'see through it' to place these correctly.

After this was done it was back to Nick for another B&W test print......you can see it below...the inserts, green area's were pretty close and I just had to jiggle a few bits around here and there ......

To get the ghosts correct - Nick did another print, and cut the ghost shapes out of the print, placed it over his actual playfield and resent me images like this one below, this allowed me to see exactly where I needed to move or skew things to so that these ghosts and the relevant text sat in the correct spot...as you can see this ghost of mine needed to come to the right at a bit

After all of that and some colour matching - here are the end results.....the 'on-screen colours' may look a little wierd but Nick has done test prints from many colour swatches I sent him and these colours apparently PRINT close/exact to the original PF colours

All up I reckon about 20 ++ hours work in it - I am hoping Nicks printer does an outstanding job and allows this part of the "HH restore of the century" to be as nice as the rest of the machine.

Saint Wotto :lol

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 11:25:06 PM by Wotto »
DW Drums rule !

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2009, 09:59:02 AM »
 ^%^ $$( ^%^ $$( ^%^ $$(  UNBELIEVABLE WORK WOTTO !!   ^%^ $$( ^%^ $$( ^%^ $$(

$%$ $%$ $%$ $%$ $%$ $%$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2009, 12:11:34 PM »

I'm speechless..

That is simply awesome.

$%$ $%$ $%$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline chris288

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Well done,

That effort is to be congratulated!

I am constantly amazed by the skills and level of effort put in here by members to restore our beloved machines @@*