Author Topic: Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Ford Fairlane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Yass
Re: Bank A Ball V's Kid Amigo
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 10:16:59 PM »
wow that is some seriously good work!!! Well done!!

mark jackson

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »
Hi all Pinball Folks, ......... Just a quick update. ... I'm now waiting a day or so before spraying the playfield with some clear coat. I do this not so much to protect the surface, but to give all the sections of the playfield the same sheen, whether they've been 'worked on' or not. .... I've been going slowly with it over the last month. This is for a few reasons ... Firstly, I find the playfield work the most demanding part of the whole deal. I'm not a professional artist, and this machine had many and varied problems on its playfield. There was the area around the pop bumpers (which you'd expect to do), the pool table was a mess due to the wear and tear, and also a pretty ugly attempt to 'touch up'. There was also the guy's blue shirt, the yellow in places was not great, and there was some writing on the Gottlieb sign missing, and the sign generally was pretty poor. So, for me there comes a point where any further work actually creates as many problems as you are trying to fix. You got to know when to fold 'em, as the old song says.
        After much thought I've decided to put down a one sheet mylar, after I do the clear coat. I've found that this is the most sure-fire way of protecting the playfield, and it makes it possible to use the game as if it were new. ... nothing will wear again, or chip or do anything where you find yourself re-doing some part of the playfield due to further ball wear etc. I just hate having to come back to a machine once I've done work on a playfield, and having to fix some part again due to further wear.

mark jackson

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2009, 01:41:14 PM »
..........I continue (as the thing sometimes just posts itself when I'm not finished??!! ................. the other thing I would mention is a strange aspect which usually happens to me, and I wonder if it's the same for others. ..... When I get to a certain point with a machine (say: about 90% done), I find myself really going slow and it becomes like 'pushing a load uphill'. That is it becomes almost like going in slow motion. I put this down to the difficulty of the playfield work, and the 'dreamlike' state which overcomes me. I guess it's because by now, I've been at it for 3-4 months, and it feels like I dream about 'Bank A Ball', as well as the concentration on it in my waking hours. Does anyone else have similar experiences with the machines they restore? .... Fortunately, this phase passes and then it all comes on with a rush during the 'putting it all back' stage, which follows the painting part. For myself, I really enjoy putting all parts back on the machine, as they are already done, cleaned, adjusted and replaced where necessary. Anyway, I'll attach a few pics, and look forward to finally putting a clear coat over what has been done. Cheers, Mark

mark jackson

« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2009, 01:48:05 PM »
.............just thought I'd remind you what this playfield was like when I bought this machine......Mark

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2009, 01:50:32 PM »
Interesting thoughts there Mark - and you know - you are not alone !!

I think I get to 90% of a restore and then I "worry" about "missing" something - Like a minor detail that I've overlooked. I think I get to a stage where I need a new set of eyes to QA my games.

The BIG restores concern me that I don't scratch or break something as I get towards the very end.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2009, 01:52:41 PM »
Very nice work there - despite your status as a non-professional artist, you have great concentration and attention to detail!

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2009, 01:56:36 PM »
Thanks for the update Mark!

Totally agree with the final 10%, it's not just the time, I find it is the actual effort needed to 'push it across the line'

Suppose large restorations like you have done sometimes feel as though you are 'treading water' so to speak....you can put in all this effort and feel like you aren't getting anywhere.

Good to hear I'm not alone in the way I feel restoring games

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:19 PM »
Totally agree - I think the challenge and how it will look and play at the end that keeps you going and coming back for more. *%*
pinballaustralia.com

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2009, 04:59:23 PM »
Agree about the last 10%     ill always find something else i need to do or redo

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2009, 05:06:13 PM »
That's gorgeous
And clean and shiny :) Very nice!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2009, 05:55:45 PM »
Agree about the last 10%     ill always find something else i need to do or redo

Too true....even when you are 'finished' there is always something else that could be done to improve it

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »

Too true....even when you are 'finished' there is always something else that could be done to improve it

Too true

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »
Never being 100% satisfied with your work is all part of the game - were it not for this there would never be the push to continually improve. There is always some part of the finished product where you didnt do your best work - slight "off" day etc. This will glare out at you like the dogs balls, but Joe Blow would never notice it.
I quite often walk away from a restore just before the end - i find i get too finicky and need to look at it with fresh eyes again.. i often come back and think "christ - i did nice work there"  whereas a month before it was irritating the crap out of me and i was ready to throw it out of the window.
But putting it all back together and seeing all that hard work come to life as a beautiful looking shiny pin is just the very best feeling - it will take pride of place in the line up for quite some time!

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2009, 09:55:37 PM »
Never being 100% satisfied with your work is all part of the game - were it not for this there would never be the push to continually improve. There is always some part of the finished product where you didnt do your best work - slight "off" day etc. This will glare out at you like the dogs balls, but Joe Blow would never notice it.
I quite often walk away from a restore just before the end - i find i get too finicky and need to look at it with fresh eyes again.. i often come back and think "christ - i did nice work there"  whereas a month before it was irritating the crap out of me and i was ready to throw it out of the window.
But putting it all back together and seeing all that hard work come to life as a beautiful looking shiny pin is just the very best feeling - it will take pride of place in the line up for quite some time!

AMEN brother  ^^^

mark jackson

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 04:05:15 PM »
Greetings all, I just thought I'd make a list of what parts I replaced during the restoration of Bank A Ball. I'm sure that I've forgotten a few things but the attached list tells its own story. You can't restore a machine by just replacing a bunch of parts and other stuff, but replacing worn out/broken parts is a necessary part of the deal. ....what a list! Mark