Author Topic: 1965 BANK A BALL.... continued!  (Read 4837 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
1965 BANK A BALL.... continued!
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:51:18 PM »
I seem to have a few restores going on consequetively, but i like that. As i get tired of working on one, i move to another. If i get stuck with one problem on one, i move to another rather than sitting down wondering where to go next.

Ive had this machine for a few months now. i bought it unsighted. I knew though that several collectors had already gone to view this machine but had walked away from it as it needed too much work to get going.

This title is a CLASSIC Gtb wedgehead - meant to be one of the best made.

To be completely honest, i took one look at this machine, groaned and also put it into the "too hard basket".

heres what i got;

cabinet graphics are very worn and tired

Front door is rusted and needs some serious work

The PF is in pretty good shape. It has plenty of grime embedded in it, but just above the girl is a test area of a quick clean - she'll come up good but will also need some touch up and a clear coat afterwards

Inside the cabinet is where i REALLY groaned. previous owner had taken off the Q relay coil and also the leaf switches. Without this the game will not work. But closer examination reveals that the wires from the leaf switches are missing also. I thought this would be a much bigger headache than i thought, but then i got thinking. Q relay is really an open or closed switch that determines game start and game finish. Without the wires and contacts its really a permanantly closed switch, which would allow a game to commence. So i reattach the power to the coil and also slot in a new SERIES coil as this was missing. PBR sell all these coils and this is where is sourced it from. As you can see from the pic below, coil is attached and SERIES coil in place

Now i knew when i bought this machine that the BG animation had been removed, but it was all still there.
This is what greeted me;

All leaf switches are loose and the ball drop down arms are missing. I found those inside the cabinet in a box..

.... here its is.... WARNING... This pic aint pretty!

Ho Hum - how the hell does all this go together?
This is a 1965 GTB and so NO MANUALS WERE EVER MADE! Im completely on my own here ( now you know why ive put this off for a while!)

The balls drop down in the BG at the top as you go round the PF hitting appropriate targets. BG has a little fade, but other than that is in good nick

Now the first thing i ever do with a restore is get the game working. Then i can pull it apart, restore it and any subsequent faults in know are of my making and i can retrace my steps to erradicate them. All coils MUST be in place as missing ones on an EM lead to further problems as the power is daisy chained. I need to know everything is working before i can do anything.
With the coils in, game starts, but i have a locked on stepper coil. A quick check with an anologue meter reveals that the 1 point switch is reading closed, a close examination shows that the leaf switches have been bent out of whack and are touching. I seperate them, but this does not get rid of the fault. So now im scratching my head - maybe a shorted wire??
The game did come with a schematic and looking at this i see there are 4 X 1 point switches not 2.

For the life of me i could not find them until a full day later - right at the top of the PF is a small rubber before the rollover switches - 1 on either side and yes - they are touching!

Ok, so now we have a working PF - a deep breath and i haul out whats in the box of bits - all balls are there, but most are broken, ill need to make new armatures for them and some serious glueing.
I swing the animation mechanism down and try to work out how it all goes together. Actually, its not that hard to work out and whats not broken i put into place

The ball armatures drop down as its associated coil is energised from the target on the PF. Armature comes down and makes contact with the leaf switches, this then is registered in the cabinet through the 1-7 relays or 9-15. Once these are made ( either one will do) the 8 ball relay engages and SPECIAL is lit.

Now with the animation unit swung back up, the armatures ive put back in place SHOULD drop down.

SUCCESS!!!!!

Every single screw that holds the leaf switches down is missing so it wont register in the 9-15 bank. I need to get all these back in place, but all in all, i have a potentially working machine.

So where am i going with this one?

PF will be restored
Door, legs, lockdown etc will be cleaned and then chromed or zinc plated
Header and cabinet will get full respray using my computer cut templates.
BG animation unit will be rebuilt, armatures will be CNC routed and balls attached.

Pastics?? well some are cracked, so ill look into some repro ones, but what i have is still useable.

Watch for more updates - but this machine will shine when finished and will take pride of place in the collection
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:28:37 PM by Retropin »

Offline coolspot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
Re: 1965 BANK A BALL restore
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:03:56 PM »
got to agree with you that is crazy nice work on it tho #*# well so far

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 11:10:11 PM »

Ambitious project my friend - but I expect nothing less than a NIB (Nearly In Box) from you !!

This will test all your repair and restoration skills - Best of luck and keep the updates coming !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Creech

• Forum Founder
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
Amazing. Can't wait to see this up and running. She'll be right mate  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 11:33:57 PM »
When i first saw it, i too thought it was a very ambitious project. i really was not looking forward to tackling it. But as always, take one step at a time and you start to make progress. Mechanically its in better shape than the 1951 Wms HARVEY i fixed up. The BG animation is self evident once you take a deep breath and dive in.

I forgot to add - this game has metal flipper buttons - wait till you see those shine in a newly painted cabinet!

Offline coolspot

• Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:53:20 AM »
how much did youget it for anyway

Offline 63wizz

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
    • My Pinball Collection
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 07:34:37 AM »
wow thats a big project,more than i would like to do.

good luck, so far so good.

cheers ian

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 07:45:07 AM »
Best of luck Gav with this one - I can't begin to imagine how good it is going to feel for you the day she shines and works like new!

So I guess that means that the Spiderman restore is way down the list now??
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:46:40 AM by pinnies4me »
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
LOL!!! Actually SPIDERMAN is another ill be doing at the same time - this needs to be up and running ASAP, i have a frustrated 7 yr old waiting.

Spiderman has ALL grounding straps removed and as such the door etc are all live..

... But this will be another thread

Offline Pinfan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 11:08:25 AM »
I will be returning to this thread eagerly awaiting its updates ! *%*

On each restore you guys seem to go one step further into the realm of  'nothing can't be repaired.'

Great work Gav, awesome to see someone else's skills at work !

Thanks for posting and sharing.
Some people have big HEADS !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 12:22:20 PM »
LOL!!! Actually SPIDERMAN is another ill be doing at the same time - this needs to be up and running ASAP, i have a frustrated 7 yr old waiting.

Spiderman has ALL grounding straps removed and as such the door etc are all live..

... But this will be another thread

Gav - Did your son "find" Spidey ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 02:27:33 PM »
Yes - he found Spidey, had it under covers, but a tiny part of the lettering was showing. He recognised it straight away.
Space Station irritates him as its a harder machine, so ive promised to get Spidey up and running for him. So the plan is to get it to a working position and do a restore later..

stuba

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »
mmmmnnnnn. maybe you'll get sick of it once its restored and sell it to me.....
the good thing about this is that it'll be close by....
 :lol
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 07:06:39 PM by stuba »

Offline coolspot

• Forum Posts:
  • traralgon vic
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 06:12:40 PM »
so how much did it cost you

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »
LOL! Cool spot.

the only,answer to that question is a bit more than i would have liked to haved paid and less than than i did.