Author Topic: Data East screws  (Read 483 times)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Data East screws
« on: April 11, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »
Hi, does anyone know what type of screws are used in Data East machines. In particular I'm having issues matching the thread on the screws with either standard metric or imperial screws. Though it wouldn' t surprise  me if it was actually the screw gauge Which is different to the ones i've tryed. I've been to two different specialty bolt/screw shops but dispite the time spent trying various combinations of screws nothing seems to fit correctly  *!@ *!@. In particular I'm after the ones which hold the red pop bumper caps in place though ideally I'd replace every visible screw as most have had there day. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.
Adam

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
Re: Data East screws
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:06:52 PM »
Made in the good 'ol USofA so you can immediately say they will not be metric......my guess is Imperial. Pretty hard to buy in pinball sizes in Australia except from pinball parts sellers like RTBB, Mark C and others.
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 01:39:58 PM »
RTBB used to do a mixed bag of everything which included the most commonly used screws, bolts and nuts.  Not worth wasting your time around Albury Adam, been there done that and the easiest way to go is ask Greg at RTBB if he has or can make you a big bag of everything.  It will come in very handy.  As Mike said, everything on a pinball machine will be imperial and not metric sizes.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 03:46:08 PM »
Thanks all, I'll do that. Been banging my head against a wall all morning!

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:19:27 PM »
Hmm, not really imperial.
What is imperial?? Inch threads??
British imperial is typically what we have here and that is very different from USA inch sizes.
British is a 55 Deg thread and UN is 60 Deg thread.
Some of the pitches (threads per inch) are the same and they will screw together, but a lot wont.
The screws in USA pinballs would be No. 6 and No. 8 UNC, these are different from 5/32" and 3/16" threads in BSW and UNC.
The only exception I have seen is with Gottlieb pinballs made by Vifico in Spain, they have metric threads.

Offline Crashramp

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 08:43:31 PM »
Thanks boots, if I don't do any good with RTBB at least I'll have a better idea of what I should be looking for. I reckon that's where I went wrong today, bolt blokes where looking at british imperial.  ^^^