Author Topic: 1965 BANK A BALL.... continued!  (Read 4842 times)

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
Re: 1965 BANK A BALL restore
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2008, 06:09:12 PM »
Spiderman has ALL grounding straps removed and as such the door etc are all live..

... But this will be another thread

That will stop any thief from stealing it from you (or those sneaky kids from touching anything before you have finished  :lol)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
Spiderman has ALL grounding straps removed and as such the door etc are all live..

... But this will be another thread

That will stop any thief from stealing it from you (or those sneaky kids from touching anything before you have finished  :lol)

%.%

I can't understand why the ground straps would be removed... I guess if there is no "ground", then the machine does not need the mandatory System80 Ground Mods ?  <.>

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2008, 11:17:35 PM »
My thinking is the same Nino, with no ground, then there can be no ground issues right?

The plug it came with was a European schutco (?) style that had no ground pin.
 You can see the staple marks where grounding strap was removed.

If the game EVER worked with this set up then it must have only come to life if the player had bare feet and one leg pushed against the door whilst wondering if pinball was meant to be painful...

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 12:03:16 AM »
My thinking is the same Nino, with no ground, then there can be no ground issues right?

The plug it came with was a European schutco (?) style that had no ground pin.
 You can see the staple marks where grounding strap was removed.

If the game EVER worked with this set up then it must have only come to life if the player had bare feet and one leg pushed against the door whilst wondering if pinball was meant to be painful...

%.%

The STRANGE things that people do to Pinballs...

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 08:11:23 AM »
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 08:15:16 PM »
Ok, im at a point where im happy that i can get a working game from this.

So its time to start dismantling the machine.

I had this game completely dismantled in 2hrs. Great thing about EM games is that the whole bottom panel can be lifted out as can the scoring mechanism panel in the backbox. This makes working on them much easier as they can be put on a bench and worked on in comfort.

Once all the cabinet has been stripped, the original colours can be viewed where metal rails etc have been taken off.
The machine is meant to be a lovely turquoise colour - the blues, yellows and reds are very vibrant and much brighter than i thought they would be. Once these original colours are exposed, i can colour match with a Pantone colour chart.

The difference in colour can be seen here

Cabinet and back box are put aside to be rubbed back later.

First i want to clean up the PF and see where the restoration needs to be. PF is filthy

PF is completely stripped, all protruding leaf switches are unscrewed and allowed to hang underneath.
Grime on this game was pretty thick in places. First thing i do is get a few rags, some old towels that have been ripped into strips and some methylated spirits. A good wipeover gets all the heavy crap off.
Ball swirl is quite heavy also, so i attacked this with Nino's "magic Eraser" tip. Im not really a big fan of these unless im prepared to touch up the PF beforehand. On these older games the magic eraser can eat through the paint before you know it, if you feel any drag on the eraser, its because the paint is now being worn away.
I ALWAYS use these with some caution.

First  i use the eraser with a some warm water and a drip of washing liquid - eats dirt and grease - just what i want.
Then i go over it again with the eraser and meths. The dirt was embedded into the cracking that had occurred. With the metho application, i move along the line of the cracks. Takes about 30 secs to lift the dirt

Ball swirl etc was heaviest in the centre of the PF. It looks like a square of Mylar had been removed from here, but the glue never was, so its baked on and dug deep. Ive got most of it out.

After an hours work, ive got a pretty good Playfield. There is some cracking and flaking to the paint on the right hand side. Extensive cracking through the centre.
This will have to all be restored and then protected with CC, but all in all, its not in bad shape.
 I can get this PF to shine again. Im not going for the NIB look witht this. Im not repainting it, im restoring it. So much of the original paint is in good shape, that its largely a touch up job. Ill be leaving whole sections untouched.
It  looks like beer or some sticky drink was spilt down the PF at some point. It settled under the apron and soaked in. This will need to be sanded back to smooth again. Its probably what lead to the cracking in the PF also.
But here it is.... cleaning almost complete ( i ran out of Magic E). Even at this early stage, it looks a million times better

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:08 PM »

Looking good mate - Yes you need to take care with ME on EMs.. #@#..  These games had a coat of lacquer, BUT, it will be VERY thin. That's why ME is LETHAL on these playfields unless care is taken..

I think this will look awesome !

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2008, 04:42:48 PM »
Gav,

How could I have missed this post?

Seriously there is no reason why this game wont come up a treat - the playfield and backglass are a solid base to work from.

The only issue you may have is getting the backglass animation unit all back together.

New paint will be an excellent launch pad for this old girl coming back to life.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
Re: 1965 BANK A BALL.... continued!
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 05:40:56 PM »
PF restoration is almost complete...there is another thread somewhere - LOL!!

But time to work on the cabinet which is pretty shabby..

...header has some issues.. mainly the veneer coming away at the top. I did contemplate inserting a piece here and then bogging etc, but figured it would take the same time and be easier to cut a new one... so off to Bunnings and buy a small sheet of ply... header is here complete with high scores from 1979..

I did this fix BEFORE i realised i should maybe document it, but all i did was place the ply over the top of the header and run a router round the edges... simple stuff!.....once this is done the old front can be pulled off..

Glue applied to header and new one installed and pinned down..

Still got some bogging up to do though..

Aaaaah Bank A Ball... is good to be back working on this machine.. all stencil files have been made and colours documented... just bloody hope i can remember how to put it all back together again!

Offline Jango

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 06:59:04 PM »
Long time between updates on this one Gav.  Looking sensational!  Just looks like so much work on an EM and more so on this one.  It will be a ripper.  I would like to get an EM one day but would have no idea which one to look for.  Looking forward to seeing more results on this excellent thread

Offline Pinprick

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2012, 08:05:49 PM »
WOW
Better you than me . . .
Super effort so far, it will be intriguing to see progress on what looks like a nightmare task to me.
I don't remember seeing a live Bank A Ball, but it will be a beatiful machine when you're finished.
The backbox animation alone will be stunning - 15 pool balls drop down progressively it seems?
Always liked billiard themed games (Snooker is my other game)
Keep the pics and reports coming . . .

PP
"I don't operate on a level playing field"

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2012, 08:07:49 PM »
Long time between updates on this one Gav.  Looking sensational!  Just looks like so much work on an EM and more so on this one.  It will be a ripper.  I would like to get an EM one day but would have no idea which one to look for.  Looking forward to seeing more results on this excellent thread

Yes... is a long time... i got somewhat side tracked with so many other things.
Ive just read the posting and the bit "i wont be restoring this..."etc... what a bloody load of bollox!... Its the biggest job ive ever done... completely repainted the PF pretty much twice!

You can see why... other part of the thread is here....

http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=1409.0
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:13:14 PM by Retropin »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2012, 08:15:50 PM »

Glad to see you back on the job mate ! Hopefully you will get a good run to finish it off  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2012, 08:17:37 PM »

Glad to see you back on the job mate ! Hopefully you will get a good run to finish it off  ^^^

Forest Gump run more like...

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
Fixing the back of the cabinet which is all busted away at the bottom..

What i do is create a straight edge to run my router along ( bit of aluminium angle screwed to the back) and router out to the width of the timber strip im installing..

Steady run with a router and we have ourselves a nice square groove..

Timber piece cut to size, glued and bullet nailed in place..

all ready for a couple of days bogging and sanding....