Author Topic: v8racefan's latest addition... 2005/06 STERN Grand Prix  (Read 1704 times)

Offline v8racefan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
v8racefan's latest addition... 2005/06 STERN Grand Prix
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:16:08 PM »
Evening all...

I have recently added a late model pinball machine to my modest pinball collection. As most of you know I'm a huge fan of motorsports and classic/muscle cars, and have been looking around for some months for a car - motorsport themed pinball. I stumbled across a 2005 Stern Grand Prix pinball that was located at a retailer in Newcastle, NSW. This particular machine was released in August 2005, and I had played this title (during the wedding week) back when I got married to my wife (Helen) at local Timezone in Christchurch NZ. I enjoyed playing this pinball back then and had never found one in Queensland since to play. This pinball had been on my wish list since January 2006. Another reason I decided on this title is that I have played many other late model Sterns, and liked the quality and design of these late model pins.

So I purchased this pin site unseen, and must say I was very impressed with the excellent condition of the machine. See pics below...

This title was designed by PLD (Pat Lawlow Design Team) as Pat is a racing car fan like myself, who still races a Short Tracker speedway car at Rockford Speedway in the US. This Stern title was based on the NASCAR "brand" of racing for the North American market, then Stern produced Grand Prix for the European market. They later relaesed a limited run of 500 pins under the Dale Ernhart brand as well.

One of the most captivating thing about this game is the race track. The race track goes all the way around the entire playfield, and when you start a ball the ball races around the track, awesome!!. Similar to the Getaway accelerator. The game play is rather easy, however its a fast flowing game that simply ticks all the boxes for this racefan.

I have had this pinball for a few weeks now, and have totally stripped the topside of the playfield and cleaned and polished every part. This pinball is now as close to new condition as I will probably get to own. When I arrived home with this machine I noticed that the date stamp on the rear of the pinball was  31st July 2006, so it was newer than first thought, as this pin was released in 08/2005, bonus!!

I found a complete NOS Dale Ernhart playfield plastic set for $19.95USD on ebay (bargin!!) and have just added some Roadshow target decals from Treasure Cove as well. I got from mark @ PSP a transulscent blue shooter rod, and blue flipper rubbers which just set this game off!!

This machine is 100% a keeper for me, hope you enjoyed my story.

Cheers

Leon aka v8racefan
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
here's a pic of me and my Stern Grand Prix  $!&
Pinballs in my collection Elvira, Stern Grand Prix, Bally Corvette, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, Black Rose and Data East Guns n Roses.

Offline big dog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Grafton
good write up,game looks great , heaps of colours. how much is a game like that worth? It seems it's found the right owner

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
There was one of these at the Melbourne meet, and for some inexplicable reason I didn't get around to playing it!!!

Great story; sounds like a worthwhile machine to own.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I played one when it first came out, and as a GP fan didn't mind it at all, especially the ball lapping the machine. It was the first of the Stern's that had a more familiar "williams" style feel to it, no doubt due to so many having moved across at that stage and started to influence game design/play.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinmadd

• Forum Posts:
nice score there leon  $#$

wouldnt mind a game,havnt seen it here in chch tho,prob some crazy pin collector has snapped it up  %.%

are you still heading over in october?

thanks mike

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
congrats on a nice purchase...real nice looking machine.....looks like new.....shld be a keeper for sure..well done. #*#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
good write up,game looks great , heaps of colours. how much is a game like that worth? It seems it's found the right owner

Thanks for your comments, it sure has found the right owner, late model Sterns generally sell for $4,000 to $5,000 depending on the title & supply & demand etc...

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
There was one of these at the Melbourne meet, and for some inexplicable reason I didn't get around to playing it!!!

Great story; sounds like a worthwhile machine to own.

Its an easy pin to play, fast flowing, next time you get the opportunity give it a go, any pinhead who's into cars or motorsport will enjoy this title.

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
I played one when it first came out, and as a GP fan didn't mind it at all, especially the ball lapping the machine. It was the first of the Stern's that had a more familiar "williams" style feel to it, no doubt due to so many having moved across at that stage and started to influence game design/play.

Thanks for your comments, yes this pin does have a "williams" feel to it, playfield is not too busy, lots of good long shots, it ticks all the boxes for me, another great Pat Lawlor design..

Offline Wotto

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
when I got married to my wife (Helen) at local Timezone in Christchurch NZ.

You married the Mrs in a TimeZone  - man thats dedication  :lol :lol

Congrats on the new game- I have never played it but it has always looked pretty interesting.
Enjoy  *)*
DW Drums rule !

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
when I got married to my wife (Helen) at local Timezone in Christchurch NZ.

You married the Mrs in a TimeZone  - man thats dedication  :lol :lol

Congrats on the new game- I have never played it but it has always looked pretty interesting.
Enjoy  *)*

Ha ha, I wish I had got married in Time Zone, it would have been a whole lot cheaper!! :lol

Thanks for your comments wotto, its a title that may not appeal to every pinhead, but its a fun game to play.

pinballist

What a great looking game, looks like she'll fit right in with the decor.

Congrats on the new addition  ^^^

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
What a great looking game!  Congrats on the new addition  ^^^

Thanks

Exciting times getting a new pin, only problem is that I have now exhuasted my 2009 pin funds now  !!! !!!

Offline v8racefan

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast Queensland
nice score there leon  $#$

wouldnt mind a game,havnt seen it here in chch tho,prob some crazy pin collector has snapped it up  %.%

are you still heading over in october?

thanks mike

Hey mike,

yep I'm over in November 09, can't remember the exact dates??, flights booked ages ago.. I'll be in ch-ch for one week then invers for the other 2.

Timezone Moorehouse Ave used to have this pin back in 2005/06, yep its probably owned by a crazy pinball collector somewhere in NZ?? !@#