Author Topic: lost in space pop bumper  (Read 1242 times)

Offline wonder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
lost in space pop bumper
« on: November 18, 2008, 11:02:50 PM »

Just doing a bit of cleaning and when removing the space ship found this mod done to the pop bumper.

Why would you, i removed it and all works OK but just not sure as to why you would do this to the group of five bumper in the first place.

any ideas
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: lost in space pop bumper
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »
Never seen under there - what's actually been added?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline wonder

• Forum Posts:
  • perth
  • just need the machine
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:23:56 PM »

look at the rod going threw the top of the plastic on the pop bumper,holds down the metal ring so it wont work.

mark got a spare pop bumper cap to suit <..>
pharaoh blackglass <br />blackknight project<br />NOS Playfields

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:45:31 PM »

look at the rod going threw the top of the plastic on the pop bumper,holds down the metal ring so it wont work.

mark got a spare pop bumper cap to suit <..>

Burnt coil or transistor perhaps ? The ball cannot hit the bumper skirt, so the bumper is disabled.. Stupid..

Remove it and see what happens..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:46:20 PM »
Wow, that is an oddball one! It's funny when you track these oddities down how they can sometimes be worked out. Have a SWE1 from a mate for a few weeks. Did some shopping, repaired the pop-up targets (one not working, seemed the steel switch handle had fallen off). Changed 38 lamps (!), rebuilt the flippers - and then found I had a ball trough issue. Worked through the schematics (and a healthy dose of nuggy telephone tech support) and tracked it back to that switch that I'd repaired - and noticed **why** they'd apparently removed the lever to stop it activating - the bloody positive wire was soldered to the wrong side! Whoever had attempted to repair that switch (it was clear the diode had been changed, probably to try and solve the same issue) had soldered the switch in wrong, and knew enough to disable it as the cause, but not to see that the thing was obviously wired incorrectly.

Sorry to hijack!  Let us know if you work out the *why* this was done, I'm interested to know.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline markc

• Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 11:48:33 PM »

hey mate

give me a call tomorrow  i can find you one   i think