Author Topic: Star Trek Next Gen Vs Whitewater  (Read 480 times)

Offline FreePlay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
Star Trek Next Gen Vs Whitewater
« on: August 09, 2009, 09:46:45 PM »
Hi,

I have 3 pins (STTNG, TZ & CV) & no room for anymore. I want to vary my collection a bit so STTNG might have to go (even though I still really like it but the other 2 will never leave). Right now I'm thinking of replacing it with a Whitewater

How would you guys compare STTNG against Whitewater? I like the flow of STTNG as well as its sounds and depth and have heard that Whitewater is a good player - I've never played it myself

cheers, Paul

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Star Trek Next Gen Vs Whitewater
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:54:11 PM »
I've only briefly played white water and it didn't grab me. But I have no idea about the rule set. STTNG seems to have a lot going on and the sound is great. Mind you I never really got into this machine but my choice between the two would be star trek. Maybe try Monster Bash (but pricey)
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01:28 PM »
Haven't played a STTNG, so can't help you there with a comparison.

But it is pretty hard to go wrong with a Whitewater as long as you don't mind a deeper rule set. It's the sort of machine that will definitely reward time put in playing it and most pinball players seem to rate it.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »
Star Trek next gen is like a bmw or mercedes benz, it just flows well and is a widebody with lots n lots of challenges and missions.Whitewater is also a good pin but it has a small playfield and is like a quick sports car.both are great machines but i wouldnt ever swap a STNG for a Whitewater.Buy the whitewater anyway....
I would find someone who has A whitewater, ask for a play and then decide.
My motto is never sell, just buy. As soon as u get sick of one, turn it off for a while and play the other.Then when ya get sick of that, play the others.
Some people say this machine is no good but the other one is great etc, but i dont agree, PINBALL MACHINES ARE LIKE GIRLS, THEY ARE ALL GREAT, JUST SWAP HERE AND THERE DEPENDING ON YA MOOD !! if ya know what i mean.....shit, here comes the wife, exit stage left, quickkkkkkkkk.
 :D &&
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:11:33 PM »
yeh I know you're right about play before you buy. And I hope to be playing one in the not too distant future and there is one in a pub nearish to where i live. And i may be able to squeeze in another pin so STTNG might be able to stay

Still interested in opinions though. I like deep, good playing machines, the sounds on WH20 worry me a bit as on pinmame seem a bit of a turn off

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:17:43 PM »
I've only briefly played white water and it didn't grab me. But I have no idea about the rule set. STTNG seems to have a lot going on and the sound is great. Mind you I never really got into this machine but my choice between the two would be star trek. Maybe try Monster Bash (but pricey)

Finally someone else who can stand-up and speak the truth. Whitewater is dishwater, stuff-all going on that makes any sense, and a pointless ramp obscuring the left flipper. STTNG looks great, cool sounds, but same it just doesnt grab me. I am a huge star trek fan, but I cant get into any flow with the pin.

Like sum1 else said, play heaps, and buy what you enjoyed. I would be buying an AFM to round out your CV and TZ.

Offline elkor-alish

• Forum Posts:
  • Perth
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 11:07:28 PM »
Haven't played a STTNG, so can't help you there with a comparison.

But it is pretty hard to go wrong with a Whitewater as long as you don't mind a deeper rule set. It's the sort of machine that will definitely reward time put in playing it and most pinball players seem to rate it.

Have to agree with you there ajlaird.
I had a STTNG, and whilst I thought it was a good game, it really didn't grab me.
WH2O on the other hand had me hooked pretty quickly. If you own one or are thinking of getting one I would get a copy of the rules/objectives to help you make the most of it.

Big call for me to say I like Whitewater better as I'm actually a big STTNG fan. I like quick games though, and WH2O is quite fast.
Pins: The Getaway, TotAN, WH2O, Pinball Magic, Banzai Run, Flintstones, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings LE, Metallica LE, Iron Man VE, The Walking Dead LE, Star Trek The Next Generation.

Offline Wotto

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 08:40:53 AM »
Finally someone else who can stand-up and speak the truth. Whitewater is dishwater, stuff-all going on that makes any sense, and a pointless ramp obscuring the left flipper.

Far from true Greg ( you knew I would come in here defending WH20 I bet  :lol )

You are more than welcome to come to my joint ( come on its only a 3 hour drive  :lol )and I will enlighten you on what a good, albeit bloody difficult game WH20 can be. Theres a LOT of rules and a lot to get through and unless you know the rules it must all seem pointless.

Dont write it off just yet - then again some games just dont grab all of us too I guess  *!@

DW Drums rule !

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:15:50 AM »
Finally someone else who can stand-up and speak the truth. Whitewater is dishwater, stuff-all going on that makes any sense, and a pointless ramp obscuring the left flipper.

Far from true Greg ( you knew I would come in here defending WH20 I bet  :lol )

You are more than welcome to come to my joint ( come on its only a 3 hour drive  :lol )and I will enlighten you on what a good, albeit bloody difficult game WH20 can be. Theres a LOT of rules and a lot to get through and unless you know the rules it must all seem pointless.

Dont write it off just yet - then again some games just dont grab all of us too I guess  *!@

Surprised if you didnt Wotto  && I will have a chance to play Stu's WH20 next weekend. I am allways open to change my mind, its a pinball and I want to love it. lol

Offline FreePlay

• Forum Posts:
  • Lewisham, Sydney
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 01:09:32 PM »
I'd be interested in hearing your opinions after playing a bit more of WH2O

Offline james12

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 08:53:56 PM »
I have STTNG.  When you get it going the flow, speed, and lights show are unbeatable.  It keeps me coming back after several years.

On the down side, STTNG has a big open playfield with heaps of space between shots.  So, if your shots are a bit off, you hit nothing and quickly drain the ball.  Depending on my mood, it can also be a bit too 'stop and go' for my liking.  That's when I prefer something a bit fast and flowing like Whitewater or Funhouse.

James

Offline Dirty daz

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 03:34:24 PM »
hi guys
i have both machines & like the whitewater better, top game allthough star trek NG is also a fun game i havent had this one as long as ww so thats the main reason i guess  im also a big startrek fan  & like most 90s pinballs.. DAZ..

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
Wh20 is a good "bang for buck" game, but won't be everyone's cup of tea - then again, neither is STTNG, I don't like it, but with most good pins it's horses for courses. You really do want to play WH2O before parting with the other game I think.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
Cant go past the WH20 best game ever made  *%*

Offline bwodie

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »
I have both, totally different games and hard to compare imo.
Star Trek is just an awesome polished theme. Great shots and modes, a perfect widebody.

Whitewater is just loads of fun. The way the modes\objectives are layed out is really unique. Going to 5 x playfield and tripple jackpot is a total rush.
Just a really unique smooth playing game