Author Topic: How to Display Flyers  (Read 689 times)

Offline pistolpete78

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
How to Display Flyers
« on: August 13, 2009, 09:41:05 PM »
Ok, so the bug is biting and I've decided to start picking up some flyers.  T2 and IJ (the games I have or will soon) to start with, then the wish list.  Question is, how is the best way to display them?

Personally I'm thinking laminated and then block mounted.  Cost effective, easy to DIY and would look good.  But maybe framing would be better, but I doubt it.

Thought I'd throw it out there for some opinions.....

BTW, at this stage I'm looking at the cheap ones on Ebay.  They say original, but I always believe you get hat you pay for.  So I'm thinking cheap knock offs, but maybe I'm wrong?  Anyone got thoughs on these?

Thanks for any thoughts guys. ^^^

Pete

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: How to Display Flyers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:35 PM »
Pete,

You can get them here for free  &&

http://www.nypinball.com/brochures2.php?order_by=2&Restart=Yes&brochure=&perpage=All

Fairly high resolution for printing out also.

I have had all of mine professionally framed and placed behind glass  *%*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:32:06 PM »
I have purchased alot of new original flyers from Pinballjoe from ebay.His stuff is the real deal and i find it is far better to get real originals than copies which have been scanned and rescanned etc etc from the net.I have about 40 from him now. ^^^

I reckon display them in a book, as well on the walls.
I will have about 70 flyers in total this next few weeks and i will be doing the perfect colour copy bit at my wifes work cause they have a 20 thousand dollar copier that is unbelievable.I will make up packs and sent them out to pinball forum members at postage only cost.
So, if anyone wants some flyers, email me at brett@wificonnect.com.au and let me know a postal address. 
 !@#
regards.Brett

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
  • central coast, New South Wales
  • Scrambled human circut boards
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:55:18 PM »
I too have bought a lot of flyers from "pinballjoe" on ebay over the years and never had a problem with the quality or doubted anything otherwise. He has not been my sole supplier as I have bought some from the States and europe as well as swapping some with other collectors.  I've currently got just over 300 with about 40ish of them as doubles(My fave is a Fathom flyer personally rsigned by Greg Feres that a mate got for me at last years chicago). I have them in plastic sleeves so I can see both sides for ready reference stored in binders with a different binder for a different manufacturer - all in production order. As far as displaying goes a mate of mine has a Bally corvette pin so he bought 2 flyers and framed and mounted them side by side under glass. Not happy with that he bought the fullsized corvette poster and had that framed which sits behind his bar - looks great. A lot of the movie themed games such as T2 & IJ also have small posters released by the movie companies that made the original film and while not having the pin in them they provide the tie-in. I did that with my CFTBL & TAF. Just a thought outside the square which gives a great arcadey look. *%*
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:27:14 AM by jpd »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:00:35 PM »
hey jpd, u need to bring those 300 flyers to my wifes work, we can do some serious damage with their big copier. lol *%*

and yeh you are right, if u dont have the pinball, havin the flyers and the posters is very very handy.plus it makes the gamesroom look great too.
job well done, i thought 70 was alright, your collection leaves mine for dead ! !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
Thanks but it's only meagre to what other collectors have. I bought my 1st flyer from pinballjoe on ebay ( my 2nd or 3rd purchase on ebay I think??)a few years ago for my Fishtales pinny as I thought it would look good mounted beside it and have just added as you do. Sometimes in the states and also Canada (skylarstuff) have specials running.Remember once a couple of years ago a bloke in belguim had flyers in "5-packs" of the same flyer to bid on but alas all are gone now. I prefer the flyers in excellent condition WITH a Disrtributor stamp on them as it tells a story and a place. sounds corny but hey wtf..

Offline ajlaird

• Forum Posts:
  • Greensborough, Melbourne
  • Go Ahead, Make My Day
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 09:05:19 AM »
Well, having a Mousin' Around! I decided to get the flyer for it when I saw it come up on eBay. Then when a second one came up on eBay (both from Pinball Joe) I bought it as well so I could frame them and have both front and back for viewing. (Only had to bid the minimum $2 on these plus about $2 postage so it was an easy decision.)

But if you have stacks then that isn't really an option, I guess.

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 11:14:29 PM »
Well, having a Mousin' Around! I decided to get the flyer for it when I saw it come up on eBay. Then when a second one came up on eBay (both from Pinball Joe) I bought it as well so I could frame them and have both front and back for viewing. (Only had to bid the minimum $2 on these plus about $2 postage so it was an easy decision.)

But if you have stacks then that isn't really an option, I guess.
Gotta agree with the two flyers mounted side by side as my mate did with his Corvette as it does look smart and also usable. Also agree if you have a lot of pins in a big shed for e.g it may not be viable. Without sounding anal I actually bought flyers for the 2 jukes as well...

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 01:44:34 PM »
Thanks guys - haven't looked at them for a couple of days.  But will be back on the case tonight I think.

Offline NYPinball

• Forum Posts:
  • New York
    • New York Pinball
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 11:27:22 AM »
Hi all, sorry if I'm digging up an old thread here but I'm new here ( 1st post ) and noticed someone posted my website here with my flyers, thanx for that! Feel free to link me up to your site if you want. I'm always looking for more, so if anyone here wants to sell or trade feel free to contact me, if it's not on my list, then I need it :-) thanx all !
Ron

Pete,

You can get them here for free  &&

http://www.nypinball.com/brochures2.php?order_by=2&Restart=Yes&brochure=&perpage=All

Fairly high resolution for printing out also.

I have had all of mine professionally framed and placed behind glass  *%*

Offline DARBS

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:10:53 PM »
Hi Pete - Mate I have bought a few off Pinball Joe and they have all been in excellent condition. I buy 2 of each for each Machine that I own and frame them side by side with one front showing and the other one showing the back of the flyer

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 09:18:51 PM »
Hi Ron,  %)%   Hows about an intro post - tell us about yourself and your business?

I've had a look at the site and you've got a great range of flyers there.  

I like the suggestions from a couple of the guys of having font and back mounted - that would look sweet.

Just a question if someone were to print a flyer - I suppose using photo quality paper is the way to go.

Offline NYPinball

• Forum Posts:
  • New York
    • New York Pinball
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
Hi Pete, Easiest (or laziest :) way would be to read my so called 'about us" page: http://www.nypinball.com/about.php  .I'm lucky , my business is my hobby and my hobby is my business. I love the whole process of restoring pinball machines. Before computers became so mainstream, I used to collect flyers of the machines I had to sell. I carried a loose-leaf book around to show customers the brochures with the hope of making a sale and getting them to come look and buy one. When computers came along and I started seeing that people were buying/selling/trading and collecting them, I began collecting more and as you can see it got out of control. At first I was just going to collect solid state flyers, then I started E.M's and then I started with the foreign ones. The hardest part was when I decided to scan and upload them all to the website. To try and be different from the other websites, I wanted to make my scans higher resolution. I learned photoshop and spent many many hours taking out specs, stains, tears, folds, and even taking the yellow fading from the backgrounds out to give them all a vibrant colorful look. I wanted them to be easy to read and nice to look at. I get alot of satisfaction when I hear that people like to look at them. As far as printing, I hate to admit, I don't think I ever tried. I would think photo paper would be too glossy, I would try to make them look more original with some sort of semi-glossy paper.
Ron

Hi Ron,  %)%   Hows about an intro post - tell us about yourself and your business?

I've had a look at the site and you've got a great range of flyers there.  

I like the suggestions from a couple of the guys of having font and back mounted - that would look sweet.

Just a question if someone were to print a flyer - I suppose using photo quality paper is the way to go.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 11:08:24 PM by NYPinball »

Offline pistolpete78

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisneyland
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 09:47:04 AM »
Did have a look at the site Ron - thanks (I decided to take the 'non-lazy' option &&).