Author Topic: Soldering Desoldering Station Recommendations  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Soldering Desoldering Station Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2009, 11:28:52 AM »

I've had a busy week or two - but yesterday I had to repair a Stern Display - So I used the unit for the first time. I played around with an old board and found the optimum temperature settings.

It took me less than 1 minute to remove a 14 pin IC (U1) and a transistor (Q5). It was quick and did a perfect job. I used the solder pencil to solder in a socket and a new Q5. I was done in less than 5 minutes.

The desoldering iron took a minute or two to clean.

So far - I'm VERY pleased !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2009, 11:29:45 AM »
Good to hear Nino ive had these units in my watched items waiting for your review  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2009, 11:32:36 AM »
Good to hear Nino ive had these units in my watched items waiting for your review  ^^^

I'll provide a much more detailed review - I'll repair an MPU -17 or -35. - that will be a real test.

I'd say it saved me 10 minutes on my first repair.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2009, 11:45:47 AM »
10 minutes on a display thats a good saving should save a heap on a CPU

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
10 minutes on a display thats a good saving should save a heap on a CPU

The interesting test will be to replace the sockets and the corrosion area parts on an MPU. This takes 10 hours - easy - because there is some fault finding that may need to be done post upgrades.

Offline humpalot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2009, 12:05:18 PM »
Wish I had of found this post earlier.  I have both a Aoyue and a Hakko.  I first bought the Aoyue trying to save some dollars.  Found it OK but not great.  I've since bought a genuine Hakko and they are like chalk and cheese.  Hakko is the only way to go, this is one product that you get what you pay for.

Get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/808-5-808-KIT-P-P-808-KIT-Hakko-Desoldering-Gun-w-Pump_W0QQitemZ380086641353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item587eede2c9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Then buy a step down transformer.  Can't go wrong.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:09:25 PM by humpalot »

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 05:16:52 PM »
This will be an extremely interesting thread to follow for those of us that repair our own boards.

I own a PACE ST75 desoldering station.... www.paceworldwide.com/product/view/id/1685.html ....which I purchased from Kevin at Upton Australia here in Victoria... www.uptonaustralia.com.au/  .  I can't remember what I paid for the unit as I've had it a good 8 years or so now.

I've used this PACE unit on numerous board repairs and just recently reworked two complete sets of Bally boards for my EBD & Xenon.  I've found the unit to be extremely robust and very easy to use.  Removed IC sockets, transistors, resistors, capacitors, 0.056" header pins and many other components without an issue. 

One small gripe I have is when the tube starts to block up.  Solder accumulates at the other end of tube section of the tip, before it goes into the collection chamber.  It does take some time for this to happen, but when it does, it usually means switching off the unit and cleaning the tube section out.  I'm very interested to know if these other units like the Hakko or the Aoyue have any issues during operation.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »
Wish I had of found this post earlier.  I have both a Aoyue and a Hakko.  I first bought the Aoyue trying to save some dollars.  Found it OK but not great.  I've since bought a genuine Hakko and they are like chalk and cheese.  Hakko is the only way to go, this is one product that you get what you pay for.

Get one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/808-5-808-KIT-P-P-808-KIT-Hakko-Desoldering-Gun-w-Pump_W0QQitemZ380086641353QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item587eede2c9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I contacted the Hakko distributors in Australia, asking for price and availability. "Testools" did not even bother responding to at least two emails, and the other mob "computronics" wanted $1200 + GST + shipping - and there was a two month wait. Again - They never bothered to respond AFTER the two months.

As I hobbyist, I'm pleased with the results - "so far". It just scares me to think that if Hakko "Dealers" don't even want to sell me product - imagine the problem I would have if I needed spares or warranty repairs ?

If this unit lasts me 3 years - it will have paid for itself many times over..

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 08:19:47 PM »

I contacted the Hakko distributors in Australia, asking for price and availability. "Testools" did not even bother responding to at least two emails, and the other mob "computronics" wanted $1200 + GST + shipping - and there was a two month wait. Again - They never bothered to respond AFTER the two months.

As I hobbyist, I'm pleased with the results - "so far". It just scares me to think that if Hakko "Dealers" don't even want to sell me product - imagine the problem I would have if I needed spares or warranty repairs ?

If this unit lasts me 3 years - it will have paid for itself many times over..

Yep agree Hakko and parts for them here in OZ are way too expensive.  That's why I bought O/S so much cheaper.

Should point out that before I bought the Hakko I had bought 2 versions of the Aoyue.  The same one as you and the hand gun model which is a copy of the Hakko 808.  Found with both models that the heating elements just don't last and the Hakko heating element will not fit them.  I've had my Hakko for 2yrs now, use it every day and have never had a problem with it.  Hakko tips and filters will fit the Aoyue, but that's as close as they get.

Offline Maxprofits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 08:52:58 PM »
I have a 701, no real problems with it, its handy for board repairs as a hobbyist but if I was doing it as business I would get a Hakko or Pace unit. I use Hakko Equipment at work and it is the bees knees. The Hakko desoldering gun pump is a duel action piston pump(from memory) and the 701 is single action, anyway, I know that the hakko desolder is far better than the 701. However, there is no way that I can justify the cost of a Hakko unit for HUO. If I want to do a really good job, or I am working on a really fried CCT board, I will take it to work and fix it there, for everything else the 701 is good enough. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dan.
The thicken plots.

Offline humpalot

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 09:05:31 PM »
I have a 701, no real problems with it, its handy for board repairs as a hobbyist but if I was doing it as business I would get a Hakko or Pace unit. I use Hakko Equipment at work and it is the bees knees. The Hakko desoldering gun pump is a duel action piston pump(from memory) and the 701 is single action, anyway, I know that the hakko desolder is far better than the 701. However, there is no way that I can justify the cost of a Hakko unit for HUO. If I want to do a really good job, or I am working on a really fried CCT board, I will take it to work and fix it there, for everything else the 701 is good enough. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Dan.

Agree 100%

But when you look at the prices and workout postage there isn't much between them in price.

Aoyue 701 $270 AUS plus postage
Hakko 808 $195 AUS plus postage

The only thing extra that you need is a step down transformer for Hakko as it's 110V, but these are easily obtained.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 09:11:41 PM by humpalot »

Offline Maxprofits

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat, Victoria
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »

Agree 100%

But when you look at the prices and workout postage there isn't much between them in price.

Aoyue 701 $270 AUS plus postage
Hakko 808 $195 AUS plus postage

The only thing extra that you need is a step down transformer for Hakko as it's 110V, but these are easily obtained.
[/quote]
True, but the 701 also includes a soldering iron, which is actually pretty good to use, I have a number of different tips but I prefer to use the mini wave flow for most jobs. Its likely that without Aoyue cloning the Hakko products that Hakko gear would be much more expensive, maybe.
The thicken plots.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »

Need to compare "apples with apples" - I needed a desoldering and soldering tool. Hakko 701 VS Aoyue 701.

Hakko was my first choice, but product availability, spare parts support and price are poor. Looking at a minimum of $1400 for the unit

Aoyue was brought to my attention by Jacob, and is easily available (unit and spares) and the price was $311 delivered. Over $1000 cheaper and I didn't need a step down etc..

I'm reviewing the unit as a "hobbyist" - because I don't repair boards for a living. But I enjoy repairs.

I guess what I'm saying is that I was prepared to buy a Hakko - but it was cost prohibitive, spares are difficult to find and no-one seemed to want my Business. so I have a Aoyue and $1000 in my pocket !

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 11:05:48 PM »
i own a hakko 936 soldering station & a denon desoldering gun (the vacuum pump is in the gun so it does not have a hose going to an external pump ) (see attached picture).
the denon has been a great tool and i havent ever had to change the heating element and makes desoldering components a breeze. The denon is also used for soldering smd components. with a flick of a lever and a different tip you can solder surface mount components.I paid $480 for the denon 11 years ago and it is still going strong.(worth around $560 U.S. today)

the hakko 936 soldering station has been great also. i used to work as a electronics assembler and this iron would run 9 to 10 hours a day 5 days a week for 5 years but over the last six years it only gets used a few times a week. i have used it to solder the tiniest of pins and wires which you need a magnifying glass to see ( if any one has chipped a ps2 they will know what i mean) to soldering the top part of a T220 package 7805 regulator to a p.c.b and 10mm square cable (using different tips of course).
in the 11 years i have owned the 936 i have never had to change a heating element and spare parts are still available today.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:17:35 PM by Beaky »
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline johnwartjr

• Forum Posts:
  • Columbus, Indiana USA
  • It's ALIVEEEEEE!
    • My Home Gameroom . com
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 03:29:49 PM »
I'm not familiar with that particular model, but I've tossed 2 of the Chinese Hakko clones we can get here in the states.

I have a Hakko 470 bench desoldering station, and a 808 portable desoldering gun. The 470 lives on my bench for day to day work, and the 808 goes on service calls with me.

The chinese clones both melted down - one only after a couple uses, the other a bit later. I'd plug them in, and within a few minutes of sitting in the stand, the heating element would get hot QUICK and the gun would start to deform.

So, if you use the Chinese stuff, watch closely. Yeah, you should always watch closely when using soldering and desoldering stuff, I know :)