Author Topic: DE GI,s  (Read 2118 times)

Offline wingtipvortex

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
DE GI,s
« on: November 10, 2008, 11:38:52 PM »
Big thanks Owen, you were correct with your diagnosis ^^^ Problem was, Head box gi,s failed intermitantly, then altogether. I now know what i have to do, question is, how do i do it? Heres some pics of my future repair job. Just wondering how to go about it? Im real bad at soldering and i think i may need to be good at it for this job ::)

Im guessing the whole board needs to come out?

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Re: DE GI,s
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »
This is typical of GI plugs on most pinball machines... not just DE ones.

What you need to do now is replace the burnt out plug with a new Molex 0.156" 9 pin plug, and crimp on new Trifurcon pins onto the wires. Make sure you cut the wires back to where they are flexible... you may find that the wires themselves have burned and are stiff.

Next, you will need to replace the pin header on the Power Supply board that the burnt plug plugs into. This is a Moles 0.156" pin header...

You will need to be able to solder for this job, and have a crimping tool for the pins.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »

The old IDC problem... Hmm... #@#

As explained - you need to follow Owen's advice..

I did it on my DE JP..
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:10:37 AM »

Yes, the IDC connectors are not quite up to the job are they...  :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:13:02 AM »

Apparently, Williams needed to save costs and cut corners (save time).. DE did the same thing. IDC are not really rated for high current Pinball applications.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »

Apparently, Williams needed to save costs and cut corners (save time).. DE did the same thing. IDC are not really rated for high current Pinball applications.

Yep, it is much quicker and cheaper to make wiring looms using IDC connectors, but as shown by wingtipvortex, they can be a problem...

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:29:29 AM »
Ok, im gonna have a crack at this :D The crimping part i can do, now, as for soldering......is there anything i can really screw up? ill take a *clear* pic and just do the same i guess. I have one of those butane irons, is this acceptable for the job? Thanks guys.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 12:39:00 AM »
Ok, im gonna have a crack at this :D The crimping part i can do, now, as for soldering......is there anything i can really screw up? ill take a *clear* pic and just do the same i guess. I have one of those butane irons, is this acceptable for the job? Thanks guys.

The butane iron should be fine, although I have never used one for this job.

Not really anything you can screw up, just make sure you have good connection to the newly soldered in pins once you have replaced them.

Also, have you checked the PPB board like I mentioned? The Power Supply plug shown is pretty bad, so would be a good idea to check this also... and while both boards are out, re-solder all of the pin headers on both boards - they are prone to dry joints.

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 12:49:48 AM »

Also, have you checked the PPB board like I mentioned? The Power Supply plug shown is pretty bad, so would be a good idea to check this also... and while both boards are out, re-solder all of the pin headers on both boards - they are prone to dry joints.
Ok, not as yet on checking PPB. This may sound rather silly, but which one is that? Also, do i need to take out 2 boards? I thought only 1 needed to come out. The bottom "off" coloured plug is the power connection i need to tend to. Apologies for my noobieness Owen.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 12:53:20 AM »
No worries mate.

The PPB board is the board located underneath the Power Supply. This board has some of the GI wiring going to it for the GI fuses (the group of 4 fuses on the top left hand side of the PPB). The plug above the fuses is the GI plug for the PPB board.

So yes, best to remove both boards and re-solder all the pin headers, and also check the plug on the top left of the PPB for any burning, or just replace to save you the trouble later - it will eventually burn out if it hasn't already.

Offline wingtipvortex

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 01:08:06 AM »
Ahh yes, now i see it. Your right, may as well do it all while ive got the boards out. Thanks mate. I might need some parts, so ill pm you. Cheers.

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2008, 01:12:13 AM »
Ahh yes, now i see it. Your right, may as well do it all while ive got the boards out. Thanks mate. I might need some parts, so ill pm you. Cheers.

No probs mate... got all the parts you need here.