Author Topic: "Whirlwind Blue" paint  (Read 1175 times)

Offline jpd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • central coast, New South Wales
  • Scrambled human circut boards
"Whirlwind Blue" paint
« on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:41 PM »
Has anyone had any luck with a colour match for whirlwind using Dulux,Taubmans etc colour sample pots?? from Bunnings etc. I'm not too good with colour matching sometimes @.@

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Re: "Whirlwind Blue" paint
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »
It's not the blue....but....this is what I did for the colours for the Gottlieb Picnic cab I'm doing at the moment.

I went up and took the sample sheets for both colours and every shade around the red and green needed.

Then came home and matched the colours. Then went back to the hardware store and got them to mix the paints.

Hope this helps.

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:49:10 PM »
Thanks Tony and yes I've done that before as well %.%.. (fathom blue & CFTBL P/F light green for e.g) A few years ago I could have got WW blue from the States but now there seems to be an embargo on paint shipping (9/11?). I just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone has had a good match already - never hurts too ask.

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:01 PM »
Good Tip tony i might start sussing out Marathons colors i really didnt want to carry the playfield to bunnings.   Ive taken backglasses to paint shops before man you get some funny looks  %.%

Offline millsy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra
  • pinballaustralia.com
    • Pinball Australia
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 10:15:17 PM »
It's not the blue....but....this is what I did for the colours for the Gottlieb Picnic cab I'm doing at the moment.

I went up and took the sample sheets for both colours and every shade around the red and green needed.

Then came home and matched the colours. Then went back to the hardware store and got them to mix the paints.

Hope this helps.
Sorry to change the subject JPD but just was wondering how the PICNIC paint work is going, Tony.
pinballaustralia.com

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »

Offline patric67

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 06:34:40 PM »
Has anyone had any luck with a colour match for whirlwind using Dulux,Taubmans etc colour sample pots?? from Bunnings etc. I'm not too good with colour matching sometimes @.@

going off ipdb the cab colour looks like paynes grey (blue/grey) + white . Look up paynes grey on wikipedia to get an idea. u can buy of tube of it at an art store for about $6 and mix up the exact shade at home. its concentrated and goes a long way.

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 11:05:45 PM »

going off ipdb the cab colour looks like paynes grey (blue/grey) + white . Look up paynes grey on wikipedia to get an idea. u can buy of tube of it at an art store for about $6 and mix up the exact shade at home. its concentrated and goes a long way.
Thanks very much for the lead - I'll give that a shot, cheers

Offline qwertyuiop

• Forum Posts:
  • central victoria
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
Hi JPD,  I found that Dulux  P38H9  (magnetic blue) was the best match for the Whirlwind blue. I have some left over you can have if you want.

Offline jpd

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 07:59:28 PM »
Hi JPD,  I found that Dulux  P38H9  (magnetic blue) was the best match for the Whirlwind blue. I have some left over you can have if you want.

Mate, Thanks very much for the lead and I'll give that a shot as well. I'll ask my local freindly Bunnings to mix me up a sample pot so thanks very much for the offer but my store is only just down the road. ^^^