Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
DE pins
« on: August 27, 2009, 11:51:20 AM »
I'm looking at the new pin option more and more and have just considered maybe going Data East or brand other than what I have Wills/Bally. Looking maybe at Jurassic Park or Last Action Hero or something in the best value for your buck range.

What are DE machine like as far as reliability, parts accessibility etc etc. Also the two listed, what are you thoughts on price and gameplay?

Finally what games in your opinion are good value for dollars? I'm still consdering the high end machines but have never thought to consider the lower end market (as long as the machines worth playing - no Baywatch  <.>).

I'm looking for a keeper not a short term player. Thanks
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Re: DE pins
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
I think as far as bang for buck goes - the two you listed are great value.

I regret selling my LAH and my missus loved it.  I think I will definately look for another one day.  JP - I guess if you have kids (or grand kids!) then a JP would be awesome.  Both are similar in game play - although LAH has the 3 magnets in the middle which are just crazy (not sure about JP).

Most D.E's have issues with burnt G.I connectors and fuse holders on the PCB.  Both Rob you would be capable of fixing and nothing to worry about.  I found my LAH well build - the ramps are solid and playfields are good.  Plastics seem to be generally OK on the ones I've owned (Simpsons and LAH).  Overall they are easy machines to fix (ie no harder than any other).

If you are looking at a LAH - check on the movie ticket as most have wear there and also for planking or magnet burn in centre of PF.  If movie ticket is in good shape then you're looking good.

You should be able to pick up a project LAH for under $2K privately - dealer not sure.  I guess it depends on when it was purchased vs dollar.
JP - not sure.  Being more popular may fetch higher coin.  I saw one in near mint condition last week but I don't think it was for sale!

Offline bwodie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 12:28:30 PM »
TFTC! :)

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 01:42:51 PM »

Rob

I'm going  with bwodie on this one   TFTC   is the best DE game hands down
http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/
We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »

Rob

I nearly bought one, the only issue is it's looks. Reckon the missus would hate it in the house, but then I could get rid of the wife and make room for another machine or two or three.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 03:45:14 PM »
If you get a chance to play Rocky & Bullwinkle you might be surprised. That is a very good game, decent rule set, great shots, and the theme is particularly attractive if you have any memories of the original cartoon series as it really invokes those memories and makes it even more fun. It can get extremely fast and frantic, and the music and sounds right over the top when it's in full swing.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Extra Ball

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Newcastle
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »
If you get a chance to play Rocky & Bullwinkle you might be surprised. That is a very good game, decent rule set, great shots, and the theme is particularly attractive if you have any memories of the original cartoon series as it really invokes those memories and makes it even more fun. It can get extremely fast and frantic, and the music and sounds right over the top when it's in full swing.

+1 this is a great pin.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 05:23:33 PM »
There isn't really much wrong with DE machines but IMHO it is easier having machines that are the same brand and vintage - parts can be swapped around if something fails to assist with troubleshooting as an example.

JP is a great machine.  Typical problems with JP is wear around the holes, side to side motor on the T-Rex.  Other board issues have already been mentioned.  There is also a common thought that the caps should be replaced as well due to corrosion underneath them which isn't seen until one fails and it is removed.
Addicted to pins.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 07:24:45 PM »
There isn't really much wrong with DE machines but IMHO it is easier having machines that are the same brand and vintage - parts can be swapped around if something fails to assist with troubleshooting as an example.

JP is a great machine.  Typical problems with JP is wear around the holes, side to side motor on the T-Rex.  Other board issues have already been mentioned.  There is also a common thought that the caps should be replaced as well due to corrosion underneath them which isn't seen until one fails and it is removed.
Good point on keeping machines alike, but I don't want to miss good titles having tunnel vision for say Williams.

Its great hearing titles I've never thought of, but have heard of, so now hitting IPDB.ORG to check out some pix. Keep the suggestions coming if possible

Offline boxingkoala

• Forum Posts:
  • Cygnet Tasmania
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:56 PM »
I have a DE Star trek 25th. Always found parts fairly easily obtainable, reasonable reliable though they can feel a little less refined than the WMS/Bally.

But bang for buck, I never really have cared who made them, as long as the game is good and you repair/replace the common items when u buy it, IE GI connectors

Offline Greg

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
    • rtbb.com.au
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 07:48:56 PM »

Rob

I nearly bought one, the only issue is it's looks. Reckon the missus would hate it in the house, but then I could get rid of the wife and make room for another machine or two or three.

thats what I would do if I was in your position..............   (you will notice God that I didn't put any LOL or smiley faces after that comment)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 08:50:47 PM »
Last action hero is a great game. Tales of the crypt is a great game.As everyone has said, great bang for ya buck.Well priced.
But if i had to choose one over the other, last action would be it.deeper rule set, moving crane.topper with flashing police lights.great game.
BUT if scary stuff is more attractive to you, then crypt is great too.
Sega late model pins are extremely difficult for parts and expensive for parts.arent they all these days.   !@#
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 08:58:46 PM »

"Bally/Williams" is just a name - don't let the name "Data East" fool you !

DEs are GREAT pinball machines - right "up there" with some of the Ballys.

My three favorites are Jurassic Park, Star Wars and Guns'N'Roses

They are reliable machines and play and look as well as any of the Bally Williams.

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
Last action hero is a great game. Tales of the crypt is a great game.As everyone has said, great bang for ya buck.Well priced.
But if i had to choose one over the other, last action would be it.deeper rule set, moving crane.topper with flashing police lights.great game.
BUT if scary stuff is more attractive to you, then crypt is great too.
Sega late model pins are extremely difficult for parts and expensive for parts.arent they all these days.   !@#

Game specific parts for Sega machines can be hard but Sega are just re-badged DE machines from the time when Sega bought out DE, you will probably find the vast majority of parts for a late model Sega machine are basically DE parts.  Guys like Greg at RTBB can usually lead you in the right direction and supply the parts which are now more than likely labelled Stern e.g. flipper coils.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 09:24:50 PM »
yeh, i meant game specific parts.extremely difficult and expensive.    if u can find them.anywhere.     sometimes thats the fun....sometimes.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !